Ownership Verified: Going Mainstream (2016 Miata)

Hm.. I am thinking..

850.jpg

Thank you, DaBoom, for this picture of my car sleeping off the NYE hangover:

FrozenMiata.jpg

Weird, from that angle the side directly behind and above the left front wheel looks sort of banged in, or is that just me? o_O

And on the 327[sup]th[/sup] day...
10000.jpg

Also: The cruise control only supports speed up to 200 kph. :(

Last edited:
Last week was this years Ringmeet, and so I did a lap. I borrowed an action cam from a friend and mounted it on the roll bar. The intend was to show the speedometer on the central screen as well as the road ahead. Unfortunately, the wide angle made meant that the screen is already too small to read and there exposition is set up for the dark interior of the cabin rather than the brightness of outside. Also, especially in right-hand corners the head of the passenger is prominently featured. On the plus side, you can see my driving inputs. Well, that's not that positive, as the lap was not a good one. :D

I initially wanted to do three laps, but as mentioned in the Ringmeet thread, I only got to do one because the track closed early due to an accident. So naturally, I went back to the Ring today with a friend and drove the remaining two laps. Only filmed the second one, though, as said friend was too tall to use the roll bar mount and we didn't bother to search for the windshield mount before the first one. Doesn't matter though, as the second lap was the faster one anyway. Here we go:

New personal best: 9:22. :D

:thumbsup:

Today, my satnav went temporarily insane. Suddenly, it was set to English. But only the satnav, not the rest of the infotainment system. And there is only a global language setting for all of it. Also, certain words in the navigation directions were still German, namely the street names, numbers and the distance numbers. Leading to directions like "in dreihundert metres turn sharp right into Hauptstrasse" (with number and street name spoken in perfect, accent-free German).

After a reboot, the system was all-German again. As a software engineer myself, I'm not sure I want to know what happened there.

Today, my satnav went temporarily insane. Suddenly, it was set to English. But only the satnav, not the rest of the infotainment system. And there is only a global language setting for all of it. Also, certain words in the navigation directions were still German, namely the street names, numbers and the distance numbers. Leading to directions like "in dreihundert metres turn sharp right into Hauptstrasse" (with number and street name spoken in perfect, accent-free German).

After a reboot, the system was all-German again. As a software engineer myself, I'm not sure I want to know what happened there.

A few years ago, this happened to my phone.

The Maps navigation would speak with a mixture of perfect English and robotic Portuguese. :lol:

At least it didn't tell you to turn Reich.

Reich?

On the winter wheels again. My summer tyres have been driven 12,000 km in the past two years, and have about 4 mm of tread left. I think hope next summer I will end them.

Update non-update: I had to visit my tyre dealer because the left rear had a defective valve. It started yesterday evening with my tyre pressure warning system going off, to which I responded by thinking the low temperatures may be wreaking some havoc, and just adjusted the tyre pressures on all tyres. This morning, the tyre in question was about half flat, which translated to 0.6 bar read out at the fuel station about 1.5 km from home. Luckily, after filling it up to more-than-usual pressure, I could drive through half the city to the tyre shop. The valve was changed free of charge, and I was out of there in 15 minutes.

Car is now three years old, and had to be TÜVed for the first time. No problems... apart from the fact that I managed to completely use up the front brake pads in only 26,000 km. :D

Car is now three years old, and had to be TÜVed for the first time. No problems... apart from the fact that I managed to completely use up the front brake pads in only 26,000 km. :D
Atta boy! (y)