Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Looks great!

I’m going to have to see if the Jag can clear a Harbor Fart motorcycle lift.

The wheel chock that comes with it is garbage. Pick up one of these while you are there. Also hit your local hardware supplier and get some forged load-rated eye-bolts to put on the front corners to stabilize the bike. You will also need some spare bolts, nuts, and washers to bolt down the wheel chock.

Just spent the day with my cousin doing ceramic coating on my new Mustang. He has the shop space and does them as a small side business.

:motherofgod:

It's soooooo smooth. Running your fingers over it now it feels like the car is oiled down.

I can't imagine doing that on a really dirty car with a bunch of crap stuck in the paint and needing to do full paint correction first though. Air conditioned shop would be completely necessary.

"These newfangled driving aids are making drivers incompetent! Back in my day, you had to learn how to drive."

Does this sentence sound familiar?

I bet that back in whatever "day" the imaginary person in the sentence above grew up in, his or her car probably had driving aids such as hydraulic shock absorbers and four wheel brakes. You know, things that enabled you to go faster and still be safe while doing so.

Having shock absorbers means you can sit at the posted speed limit and not bounce off the road into a field if you hit a couple of badly repaired potholes in the middle of a corner. Most drivers probably don't have any idea that their hydraulic driving aids just saved them from a nasty accident.

Cars didn't always have shock absorbers, though. Back in the early days of the motorized carriage, people needed to learn how to drive.

:p

I think that phrase is applicable in some circumstances. For example blind spot monitors have lead some people to not check their blind spots and rely on the little yellow lights - doesn't work so well when you're about to pass them and you're just outside the sensor's range.

"These newfangled driving aids are making drivers incompetent! Back in my day, you had to learn how to drive."

Does this sentence sound familiar?

I bet that back in whatever "day" the imaginary person in the sentence above grew up in, his or her car probably had driving aids such as hydraulic shock absorbers and four wheel brakes. You know, things that enabled you to go faster and still be safe while doing so.

Having shock absorbers means you can sit at the posted speed limit and not bounce off the road into a field if you hit a couple of badly repaired potholes in the middle of a corner. Most drivers probably don't have any idea that their hydraulic driving aids just saved them from a nasty accident.

Cars didn't always have shock absorbers, though. Back in the early days of the motorized carriage, people needed to learn how to drive.

:p
That reminds me of a Facebook post bitching about how cars have too many computers these days to fix em yourself. Except of course those computers typically tell you where the fault is...
I think that phrase is applicable in some circumstances. For example blind spot monitors have lead some people to not check their blind spots and rely on the little yellow lights - doesn't work so well when you're about to pass them and you're just outside the sensor's range.
Same with stuff like parking sensors and automated braking systems. It is also a well known psychological fact that safer cars lead to more dangerous road behavior

Oh my god. I just found a lime green Lada Niva for sale. I need this

cTwBIRH.jpg

Oh my god. I just found a lime green Lada Niva for sale. I need this

cTwBIRH.jpg

Looks more nuclear avocado than lime green to me :hmm:

It is also a well known psychological fact that safer cars lead to more dangerous road behavior

Yup. I've seen 30+ years of "Bloody Volvo Drivers!" who think that because they have a "safe car" they don't have to pay attention to driving. This was a problem before texting ever became a thing.

The Volvo stereotype is firmly grounded in reality. Even Volvo admits it.

Yes. Green Mustang, green Niva, orange Fiesta, orange Niva. Perfect 4 car garage.....

BRZ is officially a beater car. Took full insurance off it and a hailstorm promptly decorated every single panel with golfball sized dings. 48 or more of them by cursory count. Anybody want to buy a beater BRZ with a quarter million miles?

I need to switch up to something more practical... I've been traveling a lot more recently and the only place a full size hardshell luggage fits is in the front passenger seat (it would fit in the back seat if the front seats moved/leaned enough to make a wider opening. They don't.)

Fianceé also needs a new car. She's a competitive dog groomer and transporting the furry children safely means bigass transport kennels. One of them is big enough that the minimum size is "Subaru Outback with rear seat delete". This is going to suck.

Last edited:
BRZ is officially a beater car. Took full insurance off it and a hailstorm promptly decorated every single panel with golfball sized dings. 48 or more of them by cursory count. Anybody want to buy a beater BRZ with a quarter million miles?

I need to switch up to something more practical... I've been traveling a lot more recently and the only place a full size hardshell luggage fits is in the front passenger seat (it would fit in the back seat if the front seats moved/leaned enough to make a wider opening. They don't.)

Fianceé also needs a new car. She's a competitive dog groomer and transporting the furry children safely means bigass transport kennels. One of them is big enough that the minimum size is "Subaru Outback with rear seat delete". This is going to suck.

GMT 800 3/4 ton Suburban for the fiancé, SW20 MR2 for you.