Ian Callum leaves Jaguar Land Rover after 20 years

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
they've used the same round headlight design for over 40 years, they're not even halfway their cycle!
and i don't care the slightest bit about the X-cars, but nothing wrong with the F-type or I-pace...

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/design-boss-ian-callum-leaves-jaguar-after-20-years

Not expecting any major changes in design direction which is a shame.

As for the changes in design... well, we'll see how long that lasts. British companies often make announcements like that when someone leaves only to completely change direction within a year or so.

they've used the same round headlight design for over 40 years, they're not even halfway their cycle!
and i don't care the slightest bit about the X-cars, but nothing wrong with the F-type or I-pace...

They don't have a single car with a round headlight these days. This is part of why their sales mostly suck.

F-Type interior is too cheap for what you pay for it, and as noted by CHM, it squeaks. It's also a very poor performance value in a world that has the C7 Vette.

The I-Pace is wrong in that it's an SUV under the Jaguar name. Jaguar already has an SUV division. It's called Land Rover.

The I-Pace is wrong in that it's an SUV under the Jaguar name. Jaguar already has an SUV division. It's called Land Rover
And yet I see F-Paces a plenty as well as a few Uruses already. People like SUVs and they like badges, for better or worse...

And yet I see F-Paces a plenty as well as a few Uruses already. People like SUVs and they like badges, for better or worse...

The Urus isn't a character violation for Lambo - they made tractors and the LM001 - but all SUVs are violations for Jaguar. Especially stupid since they'll just cannibalize LR sales.

Also, the F-Pace is on track to be the classic post-Callum "18 month sales wonder":

Disagree, Lambo has been associated with supercars for a very long time now, hardly anyone outside of the gear head circles is aware of the LM or tractors.
I also disagree on Jag SUVs canibalizing LR sales, LR is much closer to an offroader boxy SUV with Jag being a "sporty" SUV so the segments are distinct enough IMO to work.
As for F-Pace sales, it likely has more to do with the vehicle itself rather than it being a Jag SUV.

Disagree, Lambo has been associated with supercars for a very long time now, hardly anyone outside of the gear head circles is aware of the LM or tractors.
I also disagree on Jag SUVs canibalizing LR sales, LR is much closer to an offroader boxy SUV with Jag being a "sporty" SUV so the segments are distinct enough IMO to work.
As for F-Pace sales, it likely has more to do with the vehicle itself rather than it being a Jag SUV.

Um, have you not seen the new LR "Range Rovers"??? Most are far, far, far from the boxy SUVs of old.
Range~Rover~Evoque~(01).jpg

I would also point out that pretty much everything post-Callum has been an 18 month sales wonder, then it tanks.

I would say Jaaag as a major brand is bollocksed. Their design direction has alienated all their traditional customers, their current crop isn't good enough to attract enough younger buyers or fleet sales and the quality for what you pay is woeful.

They should ditch saloons altogether, leave the SUVs to Land Rover and concentrate on making sports cars that can compete.

I would say Jaaag as a major brand is bollocksed. Their design direction has alienated all their traditional customers, their current crop isn't good enough to attract enough younger buyers or fleet sales and the quality for what you pay is woeful.

They should ditch saloons altogether, leave the SUVs to Land Rover and concentrate on making sports cars that can compete.

My own personal thought is not dissimilar - dump the generic styling, go to the older design language (which both Mazda and Bertone proved doesn't mean it has to look old or same old same old) and pull an Infiniti. That is, develop one really good sports car platform, then build sports cars, coupes and sedans off of it. Cuts way down on expense and gets a pretty good product out the door.

Um, have you not seen the new LR "Range Rovers"??? Most are far, far, far from the boxy SUVs of old.
Range~Rover~Evoque~(01).jpg

I would also point out that pretty much everything post-Callum has been an 18 month sales wonder, then it tanks.
I see em around and this still doesn't look very sporty to my eyes. However you gotta remember that marketing/perception matters. LR is a luxury off road SUV brand, that's how it is seen by most people. Jaguar on the other hand is seen as more of a sport luxury, so IMO they are still in different segments. To put it in another words, LR competes with big MB SUVs while Jag would be looking at X# BMWs.

I think 18 month wonder is due to a certain smallish pool of customers that will lease em every 3 years, like most people seem to do with these kinds of luxury cars. So people get em for 3 years and then trade em in, but as they failed to out compete BMW/Audi/MB they just don't have the same pool to choose from.

I see em around and this still doesn't look very sporty to my eyes. However you gotta remember that marketing/perception matters. LR is a luxury off road SUV brand, that's how it is seen by most people. Jaguar on the other hand is seen as more of a sport luxury, so IMO they are still in different segments. To put it in another words, LR competes with big MB SUVs while Jag would be looking at X# BMWs.

I think 18 month wonder is due to a certain smallish pool of customers that will lease em every 3 years, like most people seem to do with these kinds of luxury cars. So people get em for 3 years and then trade em in, but as they failed to out compete BMW/Audi/MB they just don't have the same pool to choose from.

You may want to look at the competition's sales: http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2019/05/small-and-midsize-luxury-suv-sales-in-america-april-2019/

Im not sure what that proves

1: They're not that popular and 2: They may be cannibalizing sales more than drawing them off from BMW, etc. Also, note which are the sales leaders in each segment.

1 - who are they? Jag? I never said they were popular.
2 - That's a bit of a leap

Don't you mean "leaper"?

:p