The "Things that annoy me" thread

Old people in traffic... :roll:

I was on my way to my mum (obviously by bicycle :razz: ) when I came up behind an old man on his bicycle. 150m further down the road an intersection came up, the intersection has a dedicated left turn lane and a combined right turn and straight lane. Since the light was red anyway I slowed down when the old man did a shoulder check to the left and went towards the left turn lane without indicating at all. I thought he was planning to turn left so I proceeded to pass him slowly on the right since I wanted to turn right at the intersection. He was just deking though since just when I was next to him he turned sharply right into a driveway. We collided, fortunately it was a fairly low speed and we both fell without major injuries, but his front light broke off and my integrated brake-/gearshift lever (STI) is bent.
After we got up and looked at the damage the old man apologized, he "didn't see me" even though I was smack in the middle of the lane (as you are supposed to to keep people from overtaking too close or if they do to have at least the option of evading) when he did his shoulder check...

Well, it was bound to happen, in total I did about 10k km by bicycle since the end of May 2017. Up until now I always read these kinds of situations correctly beforehand, but it was so surprising that someone on a bicycle took such a wide line to turn right that I didn't even think it would be possible that he was about to turn right again...

Local news stories that feel the need to interview and air every mouthbreathing gawker witness. NOBODY CARES. Just give me the story, the facts, and move on. "There was a fatal accident at such and such intersection, 1 dead, 1 injuried, transported to hospital, state police investigating, look for alternate routes." But nnoooooo, we gotta have 5 interviews all being along the lines of "and then I saw the car and it went fast and there were like 10 cop cars chasing it and then there was a crash and I think the guy was totally high and it was crazy."

I don't understand how or why this trend started, but its fucking awful. And its not a problem specific to any single news station. Pretty much every station does it.

Last edited:
The other one is how every news story that’s slightly controversial where the opposing person SLAMS the other guy. No you didn’t, you discussed the opposition with your idea on the argument. Shut up.

mouthbreathers

Amen. It's been driving me mad for years. Stop sticking mics in front of these fuckwits - they are not qualified to comment on these situations.

Yeah, we should require witness qualification by the witness licensing board before allowing people to witness events!

Not what I mean. Its fine to witness an event. And its fine for the news team on the scene to interview the witnesses to gather facts. But there is no reason to air those interviews.

For example, this

Its one of the least egregious examples I've seen. What did that first guy add to the story? Quite literally nothing. I heard one witness interview on the radio this morning for some news story that dragged on for 5 minutes of nonsensical babble.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWF
This reminds me of why I hate NPR - I don't need sound effects or irrelevant details when listening to the news! I don't want to listen to some lady speaking a language I don't understand just because the story is about another country. I don't need you to describe the flowers outside the house where a crime was committed. I don't need the sound effects of someone using a hammer when you're covering a construction site story. NPR is incredibly annoying.

Not what I mean. Its fine to witness an event. And its fine for the news team on the scene to interview the witnesses to gather facts. But there is no reason to air those interviews.

For example, this

Its one of the least egregious examples I've seen. What did that first guy add to the story? Quite literally nothing. I heard one witness interview on the radio this morning for some news story that dragged on for 5 minutes of nonsensical babble.

It's a symptom of how much society in general is dumbing down. People don't want to listen to a degree educated person behind a desk using words of more than one syllable to give the relevant details of a story, they'd much rather listen to some "real" person drone on about what they saw while details of the carnage are in soft focus in the background because that's the only way they can relate to the events.

It's a symptom of how much society in general is dumbing down. People don't want to listen to a degree educated person behind a desk using words of more than one syllable to give the relevant details of a story, they'd much rather listen to some "real" person drone on about what they saw while details of the carnage are in soft focus in the background because that's the only way they can relate to the events.

It's harder to go viral by remixing a boring newscaster.

The office furniture installers seem to make a point of, if they find a flaw in the edge of a desk top, installing it facing the user. The most visible location. Like...seriously? In an industry that's so design-focused, how can not even the lowest-on-the-totem-pole laborer not understand the idea of "hide the ugly part in the back"?

I might have to spend a few hours on the road and decided to download some videos onto my tablet through the netflix app. Well, since the last time I used it, it has been updated in the worst way possible. Somebody thought it would be a good idea to put some controls right where the stock android controls are at the bottom of the screen...

Do they even test these updates???

I might have to spend a few hours on the road and decided to download some videos onto my tablet through the netflix app. Well, since the last time I used it, it has been updated in the worst way possible. Somebody thought it would be a good idea to put some controls right where the stock android controls are at the bottom of the screen...

Do they even test these updates???

No.

Just checked on a few more devices and it only seems to be a problem on android tablets. My phone is fine, as are my nephew's phones. What an utter fail on Netflix's part. I get that more people carry cell phones, but I know several people who use there tablet to do just what I was going to do on a frequent basis.

Tickly bogies that won't move no matter how hard you blow but are out of reach of any finger.

And sneak past your handkerchief when they eventually do move and stick to your shirt where they sit there and mock you.

Tickly bogies that won't move no matter how hard you blow but are out of reach of any finger.

And sneak past your handkerchief when they eventually do move and stick to your shirt where they sit there and mock you.

Ugh, I know this feel.

what did he just say?

what the hell are tickly bogies? you have to blow on them? to put your finger in?

a bogie according to google:
typekw153.jpg

British slang for a dried lump of nasal mucus.

I work for a national vehicle scrap and salvage company these days. We answer incoming calls politely and then request the car/van registration (licence) plate number so we can open up the enquiry and advise the customer. Simples, right?

Half the people who call in respond with "errrrm" or "I knew you were going to ask me that. Hang on..."

If you knew then why didn't you have the information to hand before you dialled our number, you fuck wit! :mad::mad::mad:

The fact that I have access to 3 movie streaming services (Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime) between me and my parents, and can't watch a single Sean Connery 007 film.