The "Things that annoy me" thread

I must crosspost a reply I posted to @Misrabelle 's picture of a golden-wrapped Mercedes.

I don't know what's worse: this, or people sharing pictures of cars with that golden wrap and captioning with "PEOPLE IN SAUDI ARABIA ARE SO RICH THEY ARE MAKING CARS OUT OF GOLD"

Do you have any idea how heavy and useless a car made of gold would be?

Handy for smuggling bullion.

:tease:

I think you'll find it was a Lockheed Jetstar.

The Jetstar in the film wasn't used for smuggling. The Constellation in the novel was.

Out in the street, Bond got quickly into his car and drove along the quai to the Bergues. So that was the picture! For two days he'd been trailing a Silver Ghost across Europe. It was an armour-plated Silver Ghost. He'd watched the last bit of plating being riveted on in Kent, and the whole lot being stripped off at Coppet. Those sheets would already be in the furnaces at Coppet, ready to be modelled into seventy chairs for a Mecca Constellation. In a few days' time those chairs would be stripped off the plane in India and replaced with aluminium ones. And Goldfinger would have made what? Half a million pounds? A million?
Bond motored across the beautiful Pont du Mont Blanc and along the brightly lit quai to the Bavaria, a modest Alsatian brasserie that had been the rendezvous of the great in the days of the League of Nations. He sat by the window and drank Enzian washed down with pale Löwenbrau. He thought first about Goldfinger. There was now no doubt what he was up to. He financed a spy network, probably SMERSH, and he made fortunes smuggling gold to India, the country where he could get the biggest premium. After the loss of his Brixham trawler, he had thought out this new way. He first made it known that he had an armoured car. That would only be considered eccentric. Many English bodybuilders exported them. They used to go to Indian rajahs; now they went to oil sheiks and South American presidents. Goldfinger had chosen a Silver Ghost because, with his modifications, the chassis was strong enough, the riveting was already a feature of the bodywork, and there was the largest possible area of metal sheeting. Perhaps Goldfinger had run it abroad once or twice to get Ferryfield used to it. Then, on the next trip, he took off the armour plating in his works at Reculver. He substituted eighteen-carat white gold. Its alloy of nickel and silver would be strong enough. The colour of the metal would not betray him if he got in a smash or if the bodywork were scratched. Then off to Switzerland and to the little factory. The workmen would have been as carefully picked as the ones at Reculver. They would take off the plates and mould them into aircraft seats which would then be upholstered and installed in Mecca Airlines—run presumably by some stooge of Goldfinger's who got a cut on each 'gold run'. On these runs—once, twice, three times a year?—the plane would accept only light freight and a few passengers. At Bombay or Calcutta the plane would need an overhaul, be re-equipped. It would go to the Mecca hangar and have new seats fitted. The old ones, the gold ones, would go to the bullion brokers. Goldfinger would get his sterling credit in Nassau or wherever he chose. He would have made his hundred, or two hundred, per cent profit and could start the cycle all over again, from the 'We Buy Old Gold' shops in Britain to Reculver—Geneva—Bombay.

The Jetstar in the film wasn't used for smuggling. The Constellation in the novel was.

Y'all dint say nithun' 'bout book larnin'!

Obligatory Hicks video...

Has everyone under 30 forgotten how to chew with their goddamn mouth closed?

This is what happens when people don't socialize.

I had trouble do some running around today and part of it was down a road paved in bricks. It is 2019, why are we still doing this??? If it is strictly for aesthetics, it is not worth it! If it is for historical reasons, there are reasons we move on! If done right, it will look good for two or three years, then it will remind everyone why we moved on. I have been on neglected gravel roads with a smoother surface.

I had trouble do some running around today and part of it was down a road paved in bricks. It is 2019, why are we still doing this??? If it is strictly for aesthetics, it is not worth it! If it is for historical reasons, there are reasons we move on! If done right, it will look good for two or three years, then it will remind everyone why we moved on. I have been on neglected gravel roads with a smoother surface.

Eh, sounds like poor maintence. The town near me where Groundhog Day was filmed still has brick roads in the historic downtown area. Sure it’s buzzy because bricks but it’s not uneven or pothole stricken like the surrounding rounds.

With our freeze and thaw cycles in the winter would require redoing the road every few years.

With our freeze and thaw cycles in the winter would require redoing the road every few years.

Yeah, same here.

One more thing I want to add to this, the bricks wear to a really smooth surface after a few years, so there is no traction when it rains or snows. It was sprinkling when I was there and I was fine, but everyone around me seemed to be sliding all over the place. One was on a Harley with ape bars, he nearly dumped a few times.

I've never seen a brick weared smooth
A cobblestone, yes, but not a brick...I think that's impossible...

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Come to Flint Michigan and see for yourself.

So close, yet worlds apart.

Netflix's recommendation system is, uh weird, but todays recommendations are the worst ever. Because you watched "The Great Train Robbery" gets me "Barbie, Life Is A Dream house".

Go home Netflix, you are drunk.

Netflix's recommendation system is, uh weird, but todays recommendations are the worst ever. Because you watched "The Great Train Robbery" gets me "Barbie, Life Is A Dream house".

Go home Netflix, you are drunk.
Yeah, I've had a few gems in the past as well.