Toyota Supra 2019

To be fair the 1000+hp Supras tend to be laggy as a motherfucker so if you are not flooring the shit out of them everywhere they drive like a regular car.

To be fair the 1000+hp Supras tend to be laggy as a motherfucker so if you are not flooring the shit out of them everywhere they drive like a regular car.

Yes, which is why they are surprisingly good at being street cars and commuters - and more than a few MkIVs are used that way.

Exactly, the one in the video getting disassembled it going on a drift car, so hardly a street car.

We'll see. I have no horse(power) in that race, I merely wanted to point out that making big power is just ONE aspect of a good engine.

It's not like people haven't tuned BMW's 6 cyl turbo engines since the N54 came out ...

I can pretty much guarantee that the N54 isn't nearly as overbuilt as the 2J was, if for no other reason is that CAD software is really good at doing virtual testing. So there is simply no reason to overbuild, when you can save money by building to to spec +25%

You're correct, but people on the internetz are always talking like the 2JZ does these kinda power figures forever on stock internals and everything... which it doesn't

You're correct, but people on the internetz are always talking like the 2JZ does these kinda power figures forever on stock internals and everything... which it doesn't

The 2JZ can do ridiculous numbers on stock internals and last, but the upper limit for that is around 800 the last time I looked - which was several years ago.

Last edited:
Yes, 800 is what I know aswell. But 800 isn't 1500 or similar, and the N54 and it's predecessors can run about double their stock hrsprs

Yes, 800 is what I know aswell. But 800 isn't 1500 or similar, and the N54 and it's predecessors can run about double their stock hrsprs

The number I remember seeing for the N54 in US use seems to be around 600rwhp before the internals explode. 800rwhp > 600rwhp.

Soo....
JcKqFH.gif

Looks surprisingly good to me.

Last edited:
wow.

I happened to be at a Toyota dealer today and they had a Supra on the floor.

IMG_6138

Honestly, I found it to be visually underwhelming, worse than the pictures I'd seen so far. It looks a lot smaller than I thought it was and it does not have the presence of the MkIII or IV at all.

IMG_6140

That roof doesn't seem to leave any possibility for a sun or moonroof, something that some buyers may expect at this price point. Also, I'm not sold on that front treatment.

IMG_6149

Really not sold on that front end.

IMG_6141

Distinct lack of Japanese content.

IMG_6142

IMG_6146

I think they got the rear fenders all wrong. IMHO, the visual bulk of the body narrows too quickly starting a bit after halfway back on the doors, so it looks like someone tacked on a cheap widebody rear kit. Obviously I wasn't allowed into the car, but I find myself wondering just how much space is wasted back there that could have gone to the trunk (AKA 'where the giant nitrous bottle has to go').

IMG_6143

This is actually the worst part of the styling, IMHO. The way the top visually narrows, the visual bulk of the spoiler.... ugh. No thanks. They should have spread the C pillar bases further apart at the back along with the spoiler a la so many sport coupes in the last 30 years. As it is, it looks rather silly. The rear treatment reminds me of nothing so much as a woman who put on a corset wrong (too low), tightened it too much and made the tops of her hips look like square boxes. (Soooooo many bad memories of the local goth club...) It just looks wrong, like someone was doing CGI animation of a realistic human body but used Minecraft sprites for everything below the waist.

I wanted to like it, I really did. I have driven every major Supra variant from when it was just a Celica submodel through to some utterly insane MkIVs and liked almost all of their looks. This one just leaves me cold, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
since it's basically a BMW Z4 in a dress, how did the size surprise you? ?
but it being a lot smaller than expected is a good thing!
the smaller they manage to keep a car like this, the better (imho)

since it's basically a BMW Z4 in a dress, how did the size surprise you? ?
but it being a lot smaller than expected is a good thing!
the smaller they manage to keep a car like this, the better (imho)

It looks like it's actually smaller than the Z4, or at least has less useful space than the Z4. Having seen a Z4 not two days prior up close and personal at someone's house, seeing that this Supra appears smaller than it... yeah, I'm not thinking that's a good thing.

The problem with the "smaller is better" idea in the US market is that it reduces the day to day practicality of the car. At $50-55K here, it's facing some stiff competition from cars that are practical enough to have as a general purpose daily driver. It's one reason the Z4 hasn't sold terribly well in the US market:

Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 03.06.43

Last edited:
I really struggle to understand why anyone would get the Supra over an M2 at this point.

Totally true. Even in european prices, the M2 makes much more sense. Hell, even a used M240i in a certain way.

I'd take the Z4 over this any day, even with the significant price premium for the 6-cylinder version. I saw a Z4 last week and it actually looks good, unlike this monstrosity.