The "Things that annoy me" thread

If you try that here, nearly every prospective driver would die of heat stroke in the summer. While that would be one way to reduce traffic, it wouldn't be terribly conducive to continued vehicular transport and a 99-100% kill rate might be a bit frowned upon. :p

Sure bone.....good luck getting me on a friggin bicycle.

I support the bicycle addition but only if it is mostly applied to children who cannot drive anyway and result in bicycles having to take a driver's test and actually learn the damn road laws. ?

I don't think problem with cyclists is the bicycles as much as the fact 90% of the time they face no consequences for ignoring all the road rules.

Anyway I have an important addition to the list of vehicles:
duck-boat-1-e1532096886678.jpg

Ahh, milsurp DUKW. There's one doing tours in San Francisco too.

I support the bicycle addition but only if it is mostly applied to children who cannot drive anyway and result in bicycles having to take a driver's test and actually learn the damn road laws. ?
Yeah, that works really well with car and truck drivers... :rolleyes:

Btw: at least in Germany most people who cycle have driver's licenses as well. Many of them actually know the road laws better than car drivers since that's literally the only thing protecting cyclists from car and truck drivers.

I don't think problem with cyclists is the bicycles as much as the fact 90% of the time they face no consequences for ignoring all the road rules.
You can say that about car drivers as well, especially with parking infractions - at least here in Germany the fines are laughably low, even if you park right across the whole sidewalk or at corners where people with disabilities and mums/dads with strollers have no chance of getting onto the sidewalk again.

Yes, I am aware of cyclists behaving erratically, but that's not because they're cyclists but because they're humans. Car drivers are equally as prone to errors/blatant disregard of laws, but as our whole lifes in the industrialized countries are built around cars those errors/disregards of laws/whatever you want to call it became so common we don't question those anymore.

Funnily enough, that’s essentially what happened in my case. In elementary school, everyone was supposed (perhaps even required) to attend a few classes on road laws and rules and then take a sort of practical cycling test where volunteers would be watching and evaluating us kids at every corner. Just yesterday, I came across the fuck ugly “examined cyclist” pennant I was given for passing.

Yeah, that works really well with car and truck drivers... :rolleyes:

Btw: at least in Germany most people who cycle have driver's licenses as well. Many of them actually know the road laws better than car drivers since that's literally the only thing protecting cyclists from car and truck drivers.

You can say that about car drivers as well, especially with parking infractions - at least here in Germany the fines are laughably low, even if you park right across the whole sidewalk or at corners where people with disabilities and mums/dads with strollers have no chance of getting onto the sidewalk again.

Yes, I am aware of cyclists behaving erratically, but that's not because they're cyclists but because they're humans. Car drivers are equally as prone to errors/blatant disregard of laws, but as our whole lifes in the industrialized countries are built around cars those errors/disregards of laws/whatever you want to call it became so common we don't question those anymore.

Yeah but you can't deny that cars are SIGNIFICANTLY more likely to be pulled over for traffic infractions then bicycles. Like I literally saw someone run a stop sign and CUT OFF A COP today, either they didn't know the road rules or sincerely did not think they would get enforced going by how shocked they were to be pulled over.

And yes, this applies to cars too but you will notice it is still consistent. Like here you do not get pulled over for not using a blinker, so no one does. The speeding buffer is often massive so that gets abused. But most people won't run red lights because if a cop sees you do THAT it's going to be a ticket.

Also like... there is something to be said about being able to make your own judgement regardless that people clearly don't do. I self impose a speed limit on myself based on how fast I can stop the car. I will actually use my blinker when I am not even turning if there is a road fork and people waiting at a light/sign to indicate "hey I am going the other way feel free to cut me off". If I was on a bike (which tbh i should probably pick up for fitness reasons...) I would probably use a combo of pedestrian and car stuff depending on the situation and safety.

Also wrt the curb cuts, it's actually waaaayyy worse then you think with enforcement of that stuff in general. Like I would know, I spent 3 years in a wheelchair. Forget blocking the curb cuts, they don't even enforce ANYTHING wrt that. Like you would be shocked how much shit looks accessible to abled people but isn't. They will occasionally ticket for shit like handicap spaces being full of unauthorized cars but 90% of the time you will have to call and report it first.

Like you are right that drivers are often also terrible with this, but that doesn't really counter my point when it is "make cyclists face the same level of consequences as drivers". If anything it is just an argument for better enforcing drivers breaking the same laws, which honestly assuming it was focused on safety and shit like parking cops at frequently run red lights? I think that's plenty fair.

Ever been to Holland? They hardly post the limit with signs, bit you can see it from the type of center markings. Fill line with a green stripe, ordotted line with a blue stripe, ... But I don't know the logic behind it! Thank God for coyote, or most of the time I would have no idea what the limit is
Belgium is no better, we have a trillion roadsigns everywhere and the limit can go from 70 to 90 to 50 within a couple of minutes driving on the same road.

Gps/Waze is the only way to be sure...

Belgium is no better, we have a trillion roadsigns everywhere and the limit can go from 70 to 90 to 50 within a couple of minutes driving on the same road.

I got used to my rental for Swisstaly Roadtrip & Ringmeet where it had the speed limit in the dash gauges as well as when no passing was in effect, itwould update as it read signs on the road, many times it would change without passing signs on the road but if I passed a road sign, it would either stay the same or change again. Such a nice feature that I wish was in more cars here. If I had radar cruise control and GPS in my Alltrack, I could enable it though the speed limit sign would show up in the euro style. Good enough because there is many times after the trip I've been on a road for a while and thought "hmm, what was it again?" because it's always less then I think it should be.

euh....the roadsigns are the only way to be sure
waze can say all it wants, if the road sign says something else, that's the one you should be obeying!

True, but when there's no roadsign to be seen, and there's no one around to match speed with, I like to have a general idea of what the limit is.
It's usually a lot lower than what I would normally drive, because of reasons.

Also also, Belgian lawmakers are utter bastards, I know of a stretch of road that is 90 kph dual carriageway all the way, but with a couple of stop lights, and a few 100 m before the limit magically changes to 50, and there are tons of speedcamera's. Shortly after the lights, it's 90 again, and no cameras

Book flight via LCY on BA
Notice that BA’s pilots are on strike
Be relieved to learn that LCY flights are unaffected
Travel to airport, head to gate as normal
Board apron bus, wonder about the wait
“Sorry, the flight is now cancelled. Everyone back upstairs, please!”
D’oh! :wall:

Apparently, one of the crew members had some sort of accident. Best wishes to them and yes, a somewhat elegant solution was found for my trip, but still... how often does lightning usually strike?

I know of a stretch of road that is 90 kph dual carriageway all the way, but with a couple of stop lights, and a few 100 m before the limit magically changes to 50, and there are tons of speedcamera's. Shortly after the lights, it's 90 again, and no cameras
I was a passenger in a car on that road many years ago. It’s so annoying that I remember it to this day!

“Lived experience.”

As opposed to what, a dead one?

Twats.

I seem to have sublaxed my ribs from playing with the fiat too much <_<

The auction company I bought a rifle from isn't answering the phone so I can pay them.

Customers who answer the questions you ask them with sentences peppered with the word "obviously".

If it were obvious I wouldn't have had to ask you the question, you fuckwit!

I under-estimate people...
I have customer who needs new oil nozzles for his burner on a ship. Burner is from 1994 so data is extremely difficult to find so I ask the customer to send pictures of the oil nozzle edge as each part has flow rate, spray angle, if the spray is hollow or semi solid and the parts book shows all of them so I can’t confirm what’s what. I get photos of the nozzle but it’s a full shot and one of them is of the nozzle sitting in the little storage canister. NOT HELPING! So I quote 2 different types and since they need two because the burner operates in stages, he has 4 quoted coming out to almost $2,500. Sorry man.

I just tried deleting a bunch of emails from my "deleted" folder. It is asking me if i want to send 'read receipts' for dozens of emails that are in my trash.

So, i did what any sane person would do.

I mis-read the box thinking that it was asking me if i wanted to delete WITHOUT sending the read receipt. So instead of "no", I clicked "yes" which sent them...for emails that have been idling in my 'trash" folder since 2017 (2016, for one email).

face palm

Last edited: