Random Thoughts....

Welcome to my job. :mrgreen: I don’t have conferences to attend, though.
You fly crazy long distances but only stay for brief duration as part of your job? I don’t think I could do too many of these.....

Weirdest business trip ever coming up this fall. I fly to Valencia, Spain, but my connection is in Frankfurt. Oh, and I return home four days after crossing an Ocean AND a continent.

At least someone else is footing the bill.

Did you ask @CrzRsn for flight plans?

You fly crazy long distances but only stay for brief duration as part of your job? I don’t think I could do too many of these.....
Yup. I work as a courier and transport bone marrow or (most of the time) peripheral blood stem cells from one hospital to another. Usually intercontinental and four nights at the destination is already a long layover.

Once, I even met a flight attendant who was slightly taken aback by the amount of flying that I was doing at the time. :ROFLMAO:

This is old, but it's important we don't forget those brave space travelers who died in service of advancing humanity.

I just discovered I got off lightly when the basement of the apartment complex got flooded... :)

In the night from Wednesday to Thursday there were torrential rainfalls, somehow the water found it's way into the basement so the whole basement was covered in 3-5 cm of water. The compartment which I use already had some shelves built in when I moved in, and I put a pallet on the floor to put all my cardboard boxes on top of that pallet. Between that I only had a few minor things directly on the floor so I only had to dispose of some empty moving boxes. I relocated the rest into the drying room, dried the floor of my compartment and put everything in again. Other people didn't have the foresight and put their moving boxes, mattresses and whatnot directly on the floor so they'll have to dispose many more things...

Was that in the last week, month, or year?

Not much there from hummingbirds.

My oven fan is making grinding noises and I had to remove SEVENTEEN screws to reach it.
Lubricating it helped, but it still occasionally makes dying noises.

Last edited:
My oven fan is making grinding noises and I had to remove SEVENTEEN screws to reach it.
Lubricating is helped, but it still occasionally makes dying noises.

Sounds like “we don’t want to make this easy.”

Lubricating is helped, but it still occasionally makes dying noises.
That reminds me of about six or seven weeks ago when I realised that I should have checked my dishwasher before putting it in place. A magnetic valve had rusted and become stuck. Result: pull the dishwasher out of its place under the worktop, which includes pulling it off its home-made supports. Open, fix, test, close, put back on its supports and... push back in. The latter part involved levering it up with the help of a chisel and a block of wood to free the built-in screw-type supports so that I could turn them. Not fun.

Not sure where to put this, so I'll just stick it here.

Two people from the village I live in have now (the mayor and a council member) have both approached me asking me to be a member of the council. It seems that in the last election no one applied for the position. I'm just unsure if I want to put myself into local politics...

Not sure where to put this, so I'll just stick it here.

Two people from the village I live in have now (the mayor and a council member) have both approached me asking me to be a member of the council. It seems that in the last election no one applied for the position. I'm just unsure if I want to put myself into local politics...

You must be young, dumb, and looking to be tortured. lol

In all seriousness, this could be a double edged sword, but congratulations on being thought highly enough of for them to approach you.

The real questions you need to ask yourself are;

do you have ideas to improve your community?

Is this something you are passionate about?

Are you willing to fight an uphill battle and dodge the potential deluge of ridicule that may come your way(you may or may not deserve it)?

How does your family feel about this?

Beyond those questions, I think you are a considerate enough person to do the job.

You must be young, dumb, and looking to be tortured. lol

Apparently, yes.

do you have ideas to improve your community?

Besides bulldozing half the town? I once took a survey of the buildings in town while riding my bicycle, at the time their were about 100. Of those 100, about 20 were abandoned, 10 were uninhabited and another 10 were in need of serious repair. I know this is a small town, but there's a lack of code. They do require a permit for buildings over a certain height, 20 feet, I think, or if you plan to move in a trailer house/modular home. Beyond that, it's sort of Katy bar the door on whatever weird thing someone wants to build. Now, I get that people there want a certain freedom that they can't get in a larger city, but there should be some sort of control on some of this. Maybe. Maybe it's fine the way it is...

Is this something you are passionate about?

I can get worked up about it, but it's mostly me speaking my mind, right or wrong.

Are you willing to fight an uphill battle and dodge the potential deluge of ridicule that may come your way(you may or may not deserve it)?

Probably not. I give up pretty easy. I don't know who all is on the board, might be people I wouldn't want to spend 5 minutes with, let alone a whole 2 hours each month.

How does your family feel about this?

Dad thinks it's funny and wants me to do it for his amusement. Need to talk with Gena a bit more, see how she feels. It would cut into my bowling as they meet on the first Monday of the month.

Beyond those questions, I think you are a considerate enough person to do the job.

Really? I thought I always came off as a bit of an odd ball... :geek:

Nothing wrong with odd balls.

Shouldn't this be in the political random thoughts? :p

In all seriousness, I mostly agree with @GRtak. You should be honoured that the council people think highly of you (respected local businessman) - or they think you can be relied upon to always vote their way. ;)

Society needs sensible people in the institutions so I do think that it would be good for your town to have you on board. But if it's also good for you, that's another matter. You usually sound like you have enough on your plate already, and council work will be more than just the meetings. Plus, the potential of people getting on your nerves. Is it worth it?
On the other hand, it might actually be a good experience if the people in your town are good people and what thus council does has actual meaning.