Fiat Chrysler and Peugeot plan to create world's No.4 carmaker

Isn't the Challenger just a 300 chassis with coupe styling? Those things are massive when you get up close.

I'm guessing they are damn profitable because of that. The 300/Charger/Challanger platform has paid off the tooling years ago. It serves a niche that no one else is competing with. You can get an affordable V8 sedan or large coupe without the cost a luxury car entails.

From what I gather, FIAT was in a bad way concerning their small car platforms. The Panda platform is too old for the segment its competing in. PSA gives them that new platform.

Brands will be axed, but the market is too big now anyway. I see Alfa surviving as PSA has no equivalent, Maserati may if they figure what it is suppose to be, FIAT will remain as a badge job for the Italian market, Jeep obviously will live, Dodge will be rebranded European cars with some American muscle added in, and the rest will likely be killed off in favor of Puegeot and Citroen.

The 300/Charger/Challanger platform has paid off the tooling years ago.
It’s even better than that, 300 was based on E class platform from back in the day so they didn’t even have to design anything.

It’s even better than that, 300 was based on E class platform from back in the day so they didn’t even have to design anything.

Knowing Daimler, I bet they still charged that "equal" partner to use it.

Only partially true, as I recall. Chrysler was deep into the design of the 300 and Mercedes forced them to buy tooling and old stock for E-series suspension parts, among other things. The 300 was never intended to use that geometry, but it became part of the design due to the merger.

Only partially true, as I recall. Chrysler was deep into the design of the 300 and Mercedes forced them to buy tooling and old stock for E-series suspension parts, among other things. The 300 was never intended to use that geometry, but it became part of the design due to the merger.

Among other things, yeah. The NAG1/722.6 transmission was also a mandated Daimler part and was not an insignificant cost-adder for those cars. Great transmission though.

The Challenger shares a lot of architecture with the LX-cars but its platform is a bit different and shorter, so it's technically an LC-car.

so that makes alfa romeo, chrysler, dodge, fiat, jeep, maserati, ram, peugeot, citroen, DS and opel?

oh well, nothing of value was lost...
IDK I like Charger/Challenger
Tbh something the above have in common is most of them have a car or two worth rescuing imo but they are still mostly junk that I am not sure why people buy because they tend to just be generic and bad... But obvious as the owner of one of their nonsense cars I would be super bias.

But then again the average not giving a shit about cars person probably is happy with Generic Cheap Sedan #4 so why make good things.

Fiat Chrysler, PSA tie-up: How will it work?

More than two-thirds of production will be concentrated on two platforms. Automotive News Europe sources say 3 million vehicles will built annually on PSA's EMP2 compact/midsize platform and 2.6 million on PSA's CMP small platform.
https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/fiat-chrysler-psa-tie-how-will-it-work

The smaller platform will be PSA’s CMP architecture and larger cars will be on the group’s EMP2, industry sources told Automotive News Europe. Ram pickups and larger Jeep models will continue to use FCA underpinnings.

PSA’s architectures offer several advantages. They are multi-energy, meaning they can accommodate gasoline, diesel or electrified drivetrains, allowing a quick response to customer demand without significant new investments on production lines. They are also more modern than FCA’s equivalent platforms, with cars on the CMP architecture starting to go into production in 2019.

Moving FCA vehicles to PSA platforms could quickly increase economies of scale for the merged company, much as PSA did after acquiring Opel in 2017.

The EMP2 platform, covering the upper part of the compact segment up to midsize models, debuted in 2013.
https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/fca-passenger-cars-move-psa-platforms

No sure what happens to the Opel Insignia / GM Epsilon II platform. Crossover coming in 2022.
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/vauxh...uxhall-insignia-to-get-radical-crossover-look

Last edited:
Platform sharing can be done right:

All these were built on the DEW98 platform:
Jaguar S-Type
Jaguar-Stype.jpg

Ford Thunderbird
2002-2005_Ford_Thunderbird.jpg

Lincoln LS
00-02_Lincoln_LS_2.jpg

Jaguar XJ
2880px-2017_Jaguar_XF_Portfolio_D_Automatic_2.0.jpg

These are also built on the same platform:
Jaguar XJS
Jaguar_XJS_--_05-18-2011_2.jpg

Aston-Martin DB7
Aston_Martin_DB7_V12_Vantage_-_Flickr_-_The_Car_Spy_(2).jpg

Jaguar XK8
914779.jpg

And shockingly, so where these. Personally I can't see the resemblance.
Cadillac Cimarron:
88-90_Chevrolet_Cavalier_sedan.jpg

Chevy Cavalier:
Cadillac_Cimarron_2_--_07-01-2009.jpg

Last edited:
VW proved platform sharing works. At one point there were 12 different cars or model variants based on the Golf.

The problem with PSA and Fiat is their mechanicals, and the fact that because none of them are regarded as "premium" they have to rely on volume. The design life of their products is basically 8-10 years and/or roughly 200k km.

If you get a good one.

VW proved platform sharing works. At one point there were 12 different cars or model variants based on the Golf
You forgot Nissan with the FM platform. I think aside from their body on frame stuff everything else was on the same platform.

I just prefer not to think about Nissans if I can help it. None of their products have been on my personal radar for years, and their tie-up with Renault means there is just too much Surrender Monkey in their DNA for my liking.

Platform sharing was shown to work a long time ago. The Chrysler K cars saved the company. GM has done it for decades. Cars like the Mustang were born from a completely different style of car.

You forgot Nissan with the FM platform. I think aside from their body on frame stuff everything else was on the same platform.
Even the body on frame stuff shares a platform, at one point the XTerra, Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder, Armada, Titan, and Patrol all were built on the F-Alpha platform. It's what made the Frontier so much stronger than the Tacoma - it's also a plan Toyota is rumored to be copying by building the next Tacoma with a shared Tundra platform (hoping to finally address Tacoma's 30 years of chassis issues).

Even the body on frame stuff shares a platform, at one point the XTerra, Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder, Armada, Titan, and Patrol all were built on the F-Alpha platform. It's what made the Frontier so much stronger than the Tacoma - it's also a plan Toyota is rumored to be copying by building the next Tacoma with a shared Tundra platform (hoping to finally address Tacoma's 30 years of chassis issues).
I would think platform sharing with body on frame would be even easier since it has an actual underlying chassis and all the drivetrains would be essentially the same (as in no worrying about FWD with transaxle and shit)

It's how GM ran their business for a good 70 years

I would think platform sharing with body on frame would be even easier since it has an actual underlying chassis and all the drivetrains would be essentially the same (as in no worrying about FWD with transaxle and shit)
It is, I can put the 5.6 L V8, master brake cylinder, front diff, half shafts, and some suspension parts from a Titan on my Xterra or a Frontier. I could also do a half-conversion with half shafts and suspension parts from a Gen3 Pathfinder.

Platform sharing is fine for some cars but when your entire lineup is MQB for example, it really dilutes the vehicle range. What’s the point of buying anything but the original when they all drive the same, look the same inside and have the same drivetrains save for what the front and rears look like and how heavy the “new” vehicle is. At that point, I’m going to just buy the cheapest one with the features I want.

Platform sharing is fine for some cars but when your entire lineup is MQB for example, it really dilutes the vehicle range. What’s the point of buying anything but the original when they all drive the same, look the same inside and have the same drivetrains save for what the front and rears look like and how heavy the “new” vehicle is. At that point, I’m going to just buy the cheapest one with the features I want.
My 350z drove very differently even to its G35 coupe counterpart to say nothing of Muranos and Altimas and such...

Didn’t look much like any of em either... I also suspect that my DEW* based Mustang has very little in common with the Jag/LS both looks wise and dynamically.

*IIRC it was rather heavily modified for S197 but still

The problem with PSA and Fiat is their mechanicals, and the fact that because none of them are regarded as "premium" they have to rely on volume. The design life of their products is basically 8-10 years and/or roughly 200k km.

Problem with PSA is they don't make automotive heritage but kitchen appliances on wheels. Which alsof explains their popularity with some demographics