Ford's Mustang Mach E

Now the mustang is on its unique platform...which is baffling as they could use it for a couple more things to amortize on costs. But apparently they have gone about it backwards and instead they're just slapping the name on something unrelated.

I wouldn't mind if they used the Mustang platform to make cars. If they did a Lincoln coupe with a quiet NA 5L or something, sweet. Or perhaps an elegant highway cruiser with a big engine. The conti is cool but still has a weenie engine for what that car looks like it should be.

Making a crossover on the mustang platform is irritating especially since it's like somebody at Ford got a bug up their butt to Mustangify the lineup when you already have crossovers! We've got one for the dog, the cat, your wife, your daughter, your son, and your baby as well as your grandparents. Theres enough already that now we're fighting within ourselves to make a sale on a vehicle.

What I'm trying to say is, there was no need to make a mustang crossover because you already had available cars that I'm sure had space available for batteries but hey, ruin the Mustang by making a family hauler. Congratulations, we've got a mustang minivan.

And if it came down to "well our crossovers don't look the part." Whose fault is that one anyways?

Historically speaking, the Mustang was based off the Falcon platform. Later it shared platforms with cars like the Fairmont. Not sure where it went from there, but Ioccoca got the idea for sharing platforms from his time at Ford.

The sequence is:
Falcon.
Pinto (yes, the Mustang II is a Pinto derivative).
Fox-body platform.
SN95, a development of the Fox body.
D2C, which is about a third to a half of the DEW98 platform.
And now the S550 is on its own platform.

Makes me think that Ford wants to make a K-Car but with the mustang. This is like an Edge had sex with a Mustang. Why couldn’t you make an Edge-E?
I can see a legitimate reason to build a bespoke EV platform as there are a lot of packaging differences between the two drivetrains. So I'm not really surprised they built a separate model for this, but it really didn't need to be "styled" this way or carry the name.
I wouldn't mind if they used the Mustang platform to make cars. If they did a Lincoln coupe with a quiet NA 5L or something, sweet. Or perhaps an elegant highway cruiser with a big engine. The conti is cool but still has a weenie engine for what that car looks like it should be.
This has been a topic with some friends and I think at some point here as well more than a few times. Even since the early S197 all they had to really do was stretch it and put IRS on for a sport sedan or even just dress it up nicer and make a luxury coupe, kind of like Z/G coupe did it. Hell in the latter case the only major change would have been the IRS itself as that particular market would not accept a live axle.
The sequence is:
Falcon.
Fox-body platform.
D2C? I know it as S197
Was Fox shared with anything?

Last edited:
Was Fox shared with anything?

It was! The Fairmont was built on the fox platform. As was the Granada/LTD and the Thunderbird. Not to mention the Lincoln and Mercury equivalents.

The sequence is:
Falcon.
Fox-body platform.

Much like people not acknowledging bad movies in a trilogy, I don't acknowledge the Mustang 2.

The king of a shit model is just the best of the worst.
That was sarcasm, I basically don’t like any Mustang between 71 and 2011 (the modular s197 didn’t look bad but was kinda slow and drove kinda crappy)

That was sarcasm, I basically don’t like any Mustang between 71 and 2011 (the modular s197 didn’t look bad but was kinda slow and drove kinda crappy)

My initial comment was also meant sarcastically. I admit it existed, but never liked it. The second one is true though. Why else did Shelby ignore it?

That did not happen until later.

Much like people not acknowledging bad movies in a trilogy, I don't acknowledge the Mustang 2.

Now, now, the Mustang II was just fine at what turned out to be its ultimate purpose.

Being a donor car and providing steering/brakes/front ends for kit cars. :D :p

My initial comment was also meant sarcastically. I admit it existed, but never liked it. The second one is true though. Why else did Shelby ignore it?

He ignored the Fox body as well, which was on par with the Chryslers he would build in the contemporary time frame. Mostly he stopped making cars after the Ford deal ended in 1970 because he was busy swimming in the GIANT PILES OF CASH he'd gotten from Ford for beating Ferrari and from selling the Shelby Mustangs. :p It was only a personal appeal from Lee Iaccoca that got him out of retirement and into working for Chrysler.

Last edited:
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Is that meant as an impression of the Donald?

Now, now, the Mustang II was just fine at what turned out to be its ultimate purpose.

Being a donor car and providing steering/brakes/front ends for kit cars. :D :p

He ignored the Fox body as well, which was on par with the Chryslers he would build in the contemporary time frame. Mostly he stopped making cars after the Ford deal ended in 1970 because he was busy swimming in the GIANT PILES OF CASH he'd gotten from Ford for beating Ferrari and from selling the Shelby Mustangs. :p It was only a personal appeal from Lee Iaccoca that got him out of retirement and into working for Chrysler.

By then he was divorced so many times he was getting low on cash supply.

ugly fucker.

Attachments

• 3F6E5DA0-4EFF-47BD-9F01-FAE4A9A3E520.jpeg
    3F6E5DA0-4EFF-47BD-9F01-FAE4A9A3E520.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 110
  • F3B87FC4-CDC2-4784-8633-959845580802.jpeg
    F3B87FC4-CDC2-4784-8633-959845580802.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 115