Icetrack meet 23.-27.1.2020, Airfield 3, Airfield Harder!

DaBoom

Worlds fastest Amish
Car(s)
Various BMWs, a Swift cabrio, Benelli TreK
Apologies for rather late thread for the annual Icetrackmeet.

As title might suggest, we're heading for Pudasjärvi again. And as far as track reservations go, we got the airfield for Saturday and Sunday again. But despite this there should be more on offer compared to last year.

The tentative schedule:
Wednesday
- People passing through Helsinki would have the option of visiting a proper smoke sauna. And a swim in an ice lake. 12eur/person, open until 20.00 and I can definitely recommend, and likely join as well. Or if the schedule doesn't match I'll just fire up my sauna for all guests.
Thursday
- dedicated for getting to our lovely meet spot in the middle of Finland (and nowhere).
Friday
-Yet unconfirmed, but there should be short tourist fligths available straight from cabin backyard.
-Like previous years, renting snowmobiles is a thing.
Saturday-Sunday
-Playing around at the track, eating one moose, the usual shanigans
Monday
-Somber return home. Possibly/hopefully some good burgers in Oulu on the way back

So all in all very similar to previous years, if you've ever been. I'm expecting some beaters (other than mine), many imported drinks, sauna and good tiems. :mrgreen:

Count me in!

count me 2

I'm in. Same plan as last year, but taking a Rekord back home.

I'm in too.

I'm in. Already booked holiday at work ?

Desperate to join you guys but next year is out. Already got a week in Romania in April visiting HWF 3.0's old lodger and her family, and hoping to tie the knot and do 2 weeks honeymoon/roadtrip Dallas-New Orleans in the fall.

I'd like to join again, but I need more action than last time. A sightseeing flight from the airfield sounds very awesome, and a very cold way to die. :D
So, I'd like to hear more detailed plans about what we're going to do at the airfield. :)

My options for actually getting to Pudasjärvi are:
  1. Be insane and join a beater from Britain as a co-driver as they pass my town anyway, then fly back one-way. Needs some Brit to do a beater roadtrip (@Matt2000 / @Davetouch / @Peter3hg ?) and willing to take me as co-driver.
  2. Be utterly mad and take my MX-5 with non-studded tyres on a roadtrip into the cold. Definitely need a co-driver (@shad_68 ? @DaHitch ? @Eye-Q ?) and preferrably someone to convoy with (@leviathan ?).
    1. Take the route via Sweden - 2500 km each way. Possibly joint convoy with the Norwegians (@Adrian / @larswey / @TobiasG ?) from Stockholm about-ish.
    2. Take the ferry from Travemünde to Helsinki (and back). Holy shit too expensive (as in 1.5 * price of flight to Oulu, or even more when going alone).
  3. Be boring and fly in. Would appreciate someone to share a rental from Oulu airport with.
Option 3 is the cheapest, but also too boring. If nothing opens up regarding the other options, I'm likely to stay home this time.

Anything that involves booking a ferry or a flight would be very nice to know soonish, as those things mostly don't get any cheaper. So, if anyone feels like joining me in one capacity or the other, please contact me. :)

Last edited:
If you and @leviathan decide on a car(s) and got time to join with our Berlin forces, my doors are open for a break, before continuing north.

I'd like to join again, but I need more action than last time. A sightseeing flight from the airfield sounds very awesome, and a very cold way to die. :D
So, I'd like to hear more detailed plans about what we're going to do at the airfield. :)

My options for actually getting to Pudasjärvi are:
  1. Be insane and join a beater from Britain as a co-driver as they pass my town anyway, then fly back one-way. Needs some Brit to do a beater roadtrip (@Matt2000 / @Davetouch / @Peter3hg ?) and willing to take me as co-driver.
  2. Be utterly mad and take my MX-5 with non-studded tyres on a roadtrip into the cold. Definitely need a co-driver (@shad_68 ? @DaHitch ? @Eye-Q ?) and preferrably someone to convoy with (@leviathan ?).
    1. Take the route via Sweden - 2500 km each way. Possibly joint convoy with the Norwegians (@Adrian / @larswey / @TobiasG ?) from Stockholm about-ish.
    2. Take the ferry from Travemünde to Helsinki (and back). Holy shit too expensive (as in 1.5 * price of flight to Oulu, or even more when going alone).
  3. Be boring and fly in. Would appreciate someone to share a rental from Oulu airport with.
Option 3 is the cheapest, but also too boring. If nothing opens up regarding the other options, I'm likely to stay home this time.

Anything that involves booking a ferry or a flight would be very nice to know soonish, as those things mostly don't get any cheaper. So, if anyone feels like joining me in one capacity or the other, please contact me. :)
Options 2 and 3 are out. So, either I get a ride with the Brits and an affordable flight back on Monday, or I'm not attending.

Well, apart from not passengering with @DanRoM which is out because he won't do it I'm afraid I'm out altogether.

Options 2 and 3 are out. So, either I get a ride with the Brits and an affordable flight back on Monday, or I'm not attending.
We can strap you to the roof of the omega :p

Or if @public decides to buy that crap Taxi we might even need another driver from Berlin, @DanRoM ...

It's up for you to review how crap it is!

I did find a near-identical one decently near me with just 300,000 more kilometers than the taxi... But with reportedly working Eberspächer and manual trans.

The other big brain idea is getting a similarly priced car from the UK, but that would need to be able to travel to @DanRoM's town to continue further and the current driver/car tally seems to pose a problem.

Guys, I'm not driving any car that far as an only driver. :D
Of course not, but with five people including you from Berlin we could manage two cars.

Decision is made:
  • Go to Finland in some British beater with @Peter3hg or @Davetouch - also accompanied by @Terrex
  • Fly back HEL-AMS-DUS, going to HEL from Oulu.... somehow.
Everybody, the preferred option for @Terrex, @Davetouch and me would be the 06:45 flight OUL-HEL, but that requires someone to drive us to the airport, starting at the cabin at before 5am. We can only book flights if we know for sure that's possible. If anyone attending the meet by car is willing to drive us, please come forward. You will be rewarded wioth alcohol or whatever. ;)

I also want to book soon - flight prices have already gotten 30% more expensive in the past few days.

Decision is made:
  • Go to Finland in some British beater with @Peter3hg or @Davetouch - also accompanied by @Terrex
  • Fly back HEL-AMS-DUS, going to HEL from Oulu.... somehow.
Everybody, the preferred option for @Terrex, @Davetouch and me would be the 06:45 flight OUL-HEL, but that requires someone to drive us to the airport, starting at the cabin at before 5am. We can only book flights if we know for sure that's possible. If anyone attending the meet by car is willing to drive us, please come forward. You will be rewarded wioth alcohol or whatever. ;)

I also want to book soon - flight prices have already gotten 30% more expensive in the past few days.

This plan sounds awesome! and glad to see @Terrex coming along!