Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Having owned cars smaller than your FIAT as well a couple motorcycles, I wouldn't recommend that. You're just asking to be side swiped as Bob MacBobins suddenly makes an in-lane swerve to avoid a pot hole/squirrel/cat/etc.
Well I mean, the entire reason it came up was the guy in question didn't think to account for my very much legal and not at fault left turn where the main lane if traffic had stopped and left space for the intersection so I am pretty well aware why you shouldn't ? i am of the opinion it's ok to do driving maneuvers that risk MY life, but generally try to be cautious when other cars/people are involved.

That being said I am from MA which requires you yo be able to predict shit like that because we don't use turn signals. I can read car "body language" better then the human kind at this point lmao.

I actually also almost got sideswiped on a rotary (roundabout) in the bug recently when a lexus tried to jump into the inner lane when I was already there and had to stand on the damn brake to avoid them.

At least with a truck you got a bit more metal between you and MacBobins, so you can Mad Max it a bit with him.

For reference, here is a picture of my old MG parked next to a red land yacht.

On a similar related note. Remember my "the driveway is too narrow and mom blocks my car in problem?
20191227_132348.jpg

Not as much of a problem anymore lmao.

Seriously tho the fact I can get away with this stuff is an absolute joy. There are much better choices for zippy sportscars but the fiat is absolutely a delight in congested areas and shitty boston area "cow path" roads.

There are much better choices for zippy sportscars but the fiat is absolutely a delight in congested areas and shitty boston area "cow path" roads.
Your Fiat is massive, saw an original 500 yesterday, pretty sure it could fit in the back of my stang

Your Fiat is massive, saw an original 500 yesterday, pretty sure it could fit in the back of my stang
Fair, but classic cars are not really suited for year round use in Massachusetts, and the plastic fiat is very handy when the snowbanks start encroaching on the sides of the road. ?

It's awesome whenever there's a car in front of you, in any situation and at any speed. Your car matches the speed of the one in front and keeps a safe distance. What's not to like?

Sure ACC kind of works with a manual, but you obviously need to intervene and change gears at some point and it won't work in stop and go traffic. So you get like 50% of the benefit. All ACC systems don't work in stop and go traffic anyway. Some shut off at like 30km/h or so.
The Subaru one will take you all the way down to a stop but will not start moving again without your intervention. Which is, you know, good.

The Subaru one will take you all the way down to a stop but will not start moving again without your intervention. Which is, you know, good.

Same as in the Skoda I drove. It started moving again when I prodded the accelerator.

AFAIK Volvos start moving again on their own. Not sure which I prefer.

On another note, I think I finally found a decent dashcam that suits my needs. I frankly I think my "needs" are common sense for a dashcam in any car.

- Small form factor. Like many modern cars, the glass area in my Insignia isn't very big and cameras with a gopro-like shell hanging from a suction cup mount looks ridiculous and blocks my view of the road. Especially if you're tall like me. I already have to crouch to look around the rear view mirror.

- No suction cup mount, because it will fall off.

- No chrome bits of any sort. A dashcam should be flat black, goddamnit. This includes the adhesive pad.

So, Anker ROAV series. The S1 is reasonably priced, too. Two figures in EUR and USD.

p1010816_530x353.jpg

My ideal dashcam is a two-piece device with a compact camera module on a long wire and a recording module with screen etc you can tuck in the glovebox, but so far nobody seems to make one of those... that is, unless you take a dual camera set and install it the wrong way round in the car. This just occured to me as I'm typing this.

So months later in the middle of the winter the damn coolant warning in the fiat finally comes on confirming that I was actually not being paranoid about it. ?

AT LEAST UNLIKE THE FUCKING SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT THIS ONE TELLS YOU WHAT IS WRONG

So, Anker ROAV series. The S1 is reasonably priced, too. Two figures in EUR and USD.
If they only offered it or the S1 Pro with a capacitor I would buy one. The summer heat here WILL kill a LiPo battery in pretty much anything, and I've seen a lot of reports of the battery in these being killed by temps up to 30 degrees F cooler than what we see here. Their Duo uses a cap, but it has too much stuff I don't want.

So months later in the middle of the winter the damn coolant warning in the fiat finally comes on confirming that I was actually not being paranoid about it. ?

It's all in your mind. :p

If they only offered it or the S1 Pro with a capacitor I would buy one. The summer heat here WILL kill a LiPo battery in pretty much anything, and I've seen a lot of reports of the battery in these being killed by temps up to 30 degrees F cooler than what we see here. Their Duo uses a cap, but it has too much stuff I don't want.

I have the Viofo A119 which has a super capacitor instead of a battery. Has been great especially when paired with the polarizing filter that I sadly had on incorrectly for swisstaly 2019 so it was useless for that. Otherwise, perfect.

Can confirm, video is superb, ignore the small compression from youtube and Adobe Premiere's exporting.

Last edited:
This thing is actually still ongoing. In the months that have passed, I've driven the W203 about 15,000 km (granted, there has been some cross-country driving) already, and it's all been smooth sailing. I did resort to some preventative maintenance, as I had the timing chain and tensioner replaced and the cam gears inspected. The M271 engine is apparently notorious for timing part wear, and the cam gears are 850 eur apiece if they wear down. Luckily, the ones on my car were still fine and didn't need to be replaced, and thanks to easy serviceability the job was reasonably priced.

Still, the realities of living on a farm have struck: we do need a beater multi-purpose vehicle that's preferably diesel and van registrable to cut down the diesel tax. While a ForFour would be amazing, it's not spacious enough for that. I'd also gladly combine this all with an opportunity to import a car from the UK just before another possible Brexit deadline: the winter meet takes place in late January and if I can get a car here before Jan 31, any valid UK MOT should be honored here as long as I get LHD headlights on it. Much in the way of the brotherly Lexus Sportcross, then.

Ideally, the vehicle would be cheap yet sturdy. Here's what I'm considering and browsing for (and trying to convince the UK Finalgearians to bring over:

Fiat Multipla JTD/CNG
Pros: It's a fucking Multipla! Even if I remove the rear seats and disable the mounts so I can get it in van plates for cheaper tax, there's still three-abreast seating up front. Super frugal too, the turbodiesel is a durable unit and there's the trick option of getting a BluPower CNG version. We have a biogas plant next door from work.
Cons: It's a fucking Multipla! As they all were FWD, understandably there's little enthusiasm to be found for bringing one to an icetrack meet. And they rust.
Average price: sub-1k

Volvo 945 DTIC
Pros: RWD straight six and often manual! The VW-sourced unit is again a durable and coveted unit, and parts are easy to source here on the Finnish west coast. Including headlights. The cars are also worth a bit more here than elsewhere, even if RHD will affect eventual resale value.
Cons: There's not that much vertical room in the cargo area, so furniture hauling is less convenient.
Average price: 1,5k

Mercedes E-Class diesel wagon
Pros: Logical counterpart to W203, but more space. Can be cheap, can be easily serviced here, can be beat up without losing much value.
Cons: All of the rust in the world, can have weird maladies that are not worth fixing up.

Toyota Previa/Lucida/Estima/Emina
Pros: Like a Multipla but bigger and mid-engined! Any of these will look weird and transport much, and they are either RWD or AWD.
Cons: Previas are usually petrol engined and really thirsty. The JDM versions are often diesel, but it seems they have a lot of cooling/headgasket issues which are terminal on a sub-1k car. Also, the JDM ones are more difficult to legalize here since there are no bolt-on LHD headlights for them.

Toyota Hilux Surf
Pros: A Hilux, but with more interior room and less bed thanks to the wagon configuration. A 4Runner in other words, but just JDM and thus funkier. Durable mechanicals, usually 3.0 turbodiesel.
Cons: More expensive than the others, at roughly double the price. Rust is always something to be considered.
Average price: over 2k

Carbodies/London Taxi International TX1/TX2/TX4
Pros: Cheap and well maintained and certainly the left-field choice. Again super durable drivetrain if you go for the Nissan diesel.
Cons: Not sure if one actually register these as vans, as they don't have a large opening tailgate. And I'd lose all the rear seating, which is the point of a London taxi... Slowness isn't really an issue, as long as I can reach highway speeds.

Have I missed anything?

A deposit for SOMETHING has been paid. Since it's very easy to guess what's on its way here, no prizes will be awarded for getting it right :p

However, it's nothing from the list above.