The "Things that annoy me" thread

Can’t decide if all of this talk about killing a rogue rooster is just one big elaborate pun on “chocking the chicken”.

So the chicken can't fly away?

300px-Chocks.JPG

Be thankful that it isn't a mole.

Started doing the paperwork for my taxes yesterday. Had to order new toner for the printer fairly early on. :rolleyes: So that’ll be something for next year’s paperwork.

Thanks to a colleague's musical choices yesterday afternoon I spent the whole evening with Adele stuck in my head.

Which was only marginally less unpleasant than having my head stuck in Adele.

Companies: when your web store lists the starting price of every item on your page, please don't say that every single one of your rugs "starts at $50" when that is simply the price for your 24"x24" swatch, and the starting price for the rugs is actually anywhere from $199 to $1,100.

I had an amazing weekend and want to talk about it to everybody at work, but nobody asked me how my weekend was.

Drivers in my area. 40mph is all they can do unless the limit is 35mph. Which is typical “in town” limit, when we get into town these people suddenly go 45-50mph. So why the fuck when I get close to these drivers in bumfuck nowhere to plan my passing do they ride my ass and do the “do you see me, asshole?” swerve when in town? I don’t *think* I’m tailgating but I guess it may look like that. I don’t meant to tailgate because I haaaate that shit to the point I’ll set my cruise control to just 5 over.

Also, why is that middle aged white men become the antagonizers on the road? These folks are typically the tailgating swearing types that I guess are trying to intimidate the person in front.

Why do people creep away from stops or complete a turn so slow and then suddenly think “oh fuck!” After about a 1/4 mile?

Having to turn in my thesis IN A FUCKING CD
WHAT IS THIS? 2001?
Oh, right, 4 years ago I had to turn in my Master's dissertation PRINTED ON DEAD TREES, so I guess this is some progress.
Still, my laptop does not have a CD-drive (because no one uses those anymore) and the ancient desktop we have at the lab takes LITERALLY 15 minutes to boot up, and a few more to become usable (THANKS WINDOWS 7)

How was your weekend? :D

OK, i guess. Yours?

:mouse:

I got to go to NAMM!!! I've been playing guitar for 30 years, and for much of that time, the National Association of Music Merchants show has always been this sort of unobtainable bucket list thing. It's a industry convention for music instrument/equipment manufacturers, distributors, retailers and artists to come together at a closed-to-the-public convention.

About a week and a half before the show, i got an offer for a pass from a guitar company. Booked a way-too-expensive hotel room, and drove from SF to LA right after a 14-hour day which was after a 3-hour night sleep.

Got to ogle the 1.2 million square feet of gear along with 100,000+ other folks. Got to have dinner with the owners of a guitar company, sitting next to some really cool artists and techs. Was in the same room as Slash and Steve Vai. Got to touch a $44k guitar.

At the end, they said, "You're clearly a good dude, a nice guy, and you obvisouly know our product. Next time, we'll put you up and get you one of these *tugs on his "Staff" shift* and you can help us sell some guitars. We'll pay you, of course..."

SUCH an awesome weekend. :)

Having to turn in my thesis IN A FUCKING CD
WHAT IS THIS? 2001?
Oh, right, 4 years ago I had to turn in my Master's dissertation PRINTED ON DEAD TREES, so I guess this is some progress.
Still, my laptop does not have a CD-drive (because no one uses those anymore) and the ancient desktop we have at the lab takes LITERALLY 15 minutes to boot up, and a few more to become usable (THANKS WINDOWS 7)

In 2013, we were still faxing in orders to some of our vendors. Then after we faxed in our order, we were also supposed to send the PDF of the order to the local rep.

OK, i guess. Yours?

:mouse:

I got to go to NAMM!!! I've been playing guitar for 30 years, and for much of that time, the National Association of Music Merchants show has always been this sort of unobtainable bucket list thing. It's a industry convention for music instrument/equipment manufacturers, distributors, retailers and artists to come together at a closed-to-the-public convention.

About a week and a half before the show, i got an offer for a pass from a guitar company. Booked a way-too-expensive hotel room, and drove from SF to LA right after a 14-hour day which was after a 3-hour night sleep.

Got to ogle the 1.2 million square feet of gear along with 100,000+ other folks. Got to have dinner with the owners of a guitar company, sitting next to some really cool artists and techs. Was in the same room as Slash and Steve Vai. Got to touch a $44k guitar.

At the end, they said, "You're clearly a good dude, a nice guy, and you obvisouly know our product. Next time, we'll put you up and get you one of these *tugs on his "Staff" shift* and you can help us sell some guitars. We'll pay you, of course..."

SUCH an awesome weekend. :)

Sucked, had two 2-year old birthday parties to attend. Two year olds do not give one flying fuck that there is a party. They just want to play.

Awesome! Congrats man! I'll bet you are already Jonesing for the event next year.

Makers of height-adjustable desk legs (Linak, JieChan, etc) reeeally need t design in some sort of latch that can be disangaged, so that when a desk starts going wonky (where one leg doesn't move but the other does), you can get the desk to a normal height and level without waiting weeks for replacement parts, with the desk at an awkward (and sometimes dangerous) angle.

Just this year, I've had to deal with three desk issues like this, from 3 different desk manufacturers, and it takes WAY too long to get the parts to get them up-and-running again, especailly if you aren't even able to trouble-shoot without having some extra parts. Like...unless I have another identical desk i can steal from, I can't swap parts out to tell you if the issue is is the leg itself, the controller, the switch, or one of the cables.

Awesome! Congrats man! I'll bet you are already Jonesing for the event next year.

Ha, I reeeeally effin' am. :) On the other hand, if I go as their employee...I won't be able to enjoy the rest of the show, as it's hard work. Ha! but probably won't be able to go at all, unless I do work it. Hmm... What an annoying thing.

Last edited:
The level to which I over-think things. Like...stupid, inconsequential shit. I'll agonize over it for hours and hours.