Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

Hofeller Files

The Secret Files of the Master of Modern Republican Gerrymandering

Thomas Hofeller preached secrecy as he remapped American politics from the shadows. The Republican Party operative, known as the master of the modern gerrymander, trained other G.O.P. operatives and legislators nationwide to secure their computer networks, guard access to their maps, and never send e-mails that they didn’t want to see published by the news media. In training sessions for state legislators and junior line drawers, he used a PowerPoint presentation that urged them to “avoid recklessness” and “always be discreet,” and warned that “emails are the tool of the devil.”
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news...f-modern-republican-gerrymandering?verso=true

44GB download!!!!!!
https://www.thehofellerfiles.com/

Deceased GOP Strategist's Daughter Makes Files Public That Republicans Wanted Sealed
https://www.npr.org/2020/01/05/7856...c-that-republicans-wanted-sea?t=1579045549025

What an honest, absolutely impartial fellow he was... :ROFLMAO:

Why do the republicans care about what AOC wears?

Start asking the men too.

Why did they cry when Obama wore a tan suit? Why do they care what one non Democrat from New York City wears? Because they know most Americans are shallow tabloid addicted gossips.
I'm a republican (although I'm more of a right leaning independent) and I completely don't understand why people gave a single solitary fuck about that, just like I couldn't understand why people were complaining about the windows in Marco Rubio's house.
https://www.politico.com/story/2015...mes-reporting-on-marco-rubios-finances-118867

I completely don't understand why people gave a single solitary fuck about that

Most Americans are shallow tabloid addicted gossips. They "give a fuck" because humans have been conditioned to be class conscious. They watch the Kardashians, just as they had watched Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, before that they watched the Pope and religious figures in splendid finery, it's not new.

I'm a republican (although I'm more of a right leaning independent)

I'm much more interested in this. You place a modifying clause after stating your party. Why?

Last edited:
Probably for the same reason I say I am a liberal, but not a democrat. It is the party that most closely resembles my values, but they still are far from what I really want or expect out of a party.

I see the best republican presidents of my life were democrats. Obama and Clinton. Truthfully, both were centrists with a liberal lean, but a corporate sensibility.

I'm much more interested in this. You place a modifying clause after stating your party. Why?
I can't speak for him but I'll give you my own two cents: because no one is any one particular thing. No one agrees with one single party on 100% of the issues 100% of the time. We're operating in a binary Rep/Dem arena but in reality there is much more to it than that. For example it's easy for me to just identify as a Republican but in reality there are things I don't like about Trump and there are things that I agreed on with Obama. This is even more pronounced in libertarian circles - I'm pretty libertarian but I sure as hell don't agree with the anarchists in the party.

Just note I do want to better understand this modification thing. I have responses again just my view. So LeVeLG and GRtak's reasoning seems similar enough. I'd still welcome and be interested in ScarFace88's reasoning.

I've heard alot of different people do this: "I'm a "X" but not really". The defense seems to mirror the "im too complicated to be labeled" reasoning. I do believe some of it though is "I'm embarrassed or afraid to admit I'm affiliated with "X" group". What I hear is "I might be helping your opponent but trust me I'm not them". I dont get to wear a different jersey just because I dont agree with every play the coach runs. I wouldn't mind if people would say "I'm unaffiliated" but saying; I'm a libertarian but I'm not a registered member of the libertarian party they registered Republican, or I'm a liberal because saying Democrat comes with pragmatic trade offs but I'm a registered Democrat, sound like youre trying to hide who you do support. If you truly believe you can't register for a third party register unaffiliated.

BTW that comes from someone who has supported candidates from both major parties with volunteering and donations.

This is one reason why I like Missouri (don't start, @Momentum57 ), you do not register with a party when you sign up to vote. As far as the state is concerned, we are all independent. When there's a primary, you show up and they ask which party's primary you'd like to vote in, then they hand you that ballot.

If I was tied to a table and tortured to ascertain my political leanings, I guess I'd say independent, leaning left. Far left. flat,128x128,075,t.u3.jpg

This is one reason why I like Missouri(don't start, @Momentum57 )
:hmm:Did I ever... wait, wut?

Do you actually support communism or is this some sort of joke?
The joke would be if he's a registered Republican. Though I'd be willing to bet the numbers of Communist registered Republican dwarfs the number registered with the CPUSA. They seem like the type of people who get ironic humor.

Well, I'm still hoping it was a joke, even though he's not answering, because actual commies can go DIAF.

Should he hold onto a stick of books you find objectively bad while he dies in the fire? Would that make you feel better?

No the kindling would be other communists. A lot of them would've already starved to death under the merciful eyes of party officials so it's much more efficient than torching copies of the manifesto. :p