Subaru to show new Impreza STI

Overheat

Forum Addict
subaru-impreza-wrx-specd.jpg

Subaru is to launch the new-generation Impreza STI at the Autosport International Show in Birmingham at the weekend.

The full name for this turbocharged 281bhp 2.5-litre road-going rally racer is Impreza WRX STi specD, the D standing for "discreet", apparently. The styling is, therefore, reasonably restrained for an Impreza, this model distinguished by its silver 17-inch wheels, smaller rear roof spoiler, front projector fog lamps and Prodrive lower grille. It has extra sound-proofing and black carpets, and comes in Crystal Grey metallic paint only.

Standard equipment includes sat nav with touch-screen controls, a 200-watt CD/MP3 audio system with RDS and iPod compatibility and Bluetooth kit - but who cares about that, when you can go 0-60mph in just five seconds?

More importantly, the driver's control central differential and the four-wheel drive system have both been revised, along with the yaw rate sensors, "for even greater roadholding and interactive handling", says Subaru. The six-speed gearbox has gained a slicker shift and, to get that authentic rally feel, drivers can press a switch to spray the intercooler with water to retain power at high temperatures and high altitudes, and preset warning lights or buzzers to guard against over-revving the engine. What fun.

Deliveries start in March, and prices are from ?28,495.

any more pics?

no, sorry. The news is hot off the press - no doubt the pics will start flying in at the weekend / early next week.

American chaps help me out here, is this the 2006 STi that we have here in the states (just with a more power engine)???

i have no idea, but thinking about the diffrent emission regulations in the US and the UK im sure ther ewill be an inbalance of power. to bad they F'ed up the front :(

isn't this old? i've seen some on the streets

logo said:
isn't this old? i've seen some on the streets

No, not this particular model.

that ones not that new. tis been out in america atleast, for afew months. i wish they had just lef the old one alone and waited for a designer that had eyes and hands

SoxXpupPeT said:
that ones not that new. tis been out in america atleast, for afew months. i wish they had just lef the old one alone and waited for a designer that had eyes and hands

I'm pretty sure that this is new. They've had the Impreza with the new styling, but I don't think they've had the STI yet. Although I would have to agree with you on the styling... I've always liked the crazy spoiler on the STI's and hated the small ones on the WRX's. And now they've gone and ruined it... You could always tell an STI, instantly. But this... I don't know.

Standard equipment sounds great though. Have to start saving. :)

flamingice said:
SoxXpupPeT said:

I'm pretty sure that this is new. They've had the Impreza with the new styling, but I don't think they've had the STI yet. Although I would have to agree with you on the styling... I've always liked the crazy spoiler on the STI's and hated the small ones on the WRX's. And now they've gone and ruined it... You could always tell an STI, instantly. But this... I don't know.

yeah but they ruined it with that ugly ass front end and the tail lights are to confusing. the older STI's had the big hood scoop and big rear spoiler. it used to be a no brainer between the STI and the EVO. the STI always looked better. but now... im not to sure on that

The new WRX looks sick in person. I wasn't too impressed by photos, but after seeing them rolling around, I'll take a black one please!

flamingice said:
SoxXpupPeT said:

They have had the STi out, this is just a special edition of the STi, hence the long-winded name.

Magnet said:
They have had the STi out, this is just a special edition of the STi, hence the long-winded name.

That's right. :oops: I like the standard STi better though... is there any difference in performance between the two?

Although, the special edition that they get in Japan is best of all IMO.

imprezas20406.jpg

The STi in the States has 300hp/300tq, this one seems to be a little less. I would like one of these, since the STi's spoiler is a cop magnet, and this one looks more toned down.

flamingice said:
Magnet said:

That's right. :oops: I like the standard STi better though... is there any difference in performance between the two?

Although, the special edition that they get in Japan is best of all IMO.

imprezas20406.jpg
Hotness.

There's a new Spec C Type RA as well...
2050817.009.1M.jpg

As well as a new Spec C V-Limited:
top.jpg

:thumbsup:

That car is awesome. The only thing I have against the Sti is the hugeee spoiler. Damn that thing is so big. You could put a soda can inside of it.

I will admit that it looks good on the car though :p It flows with the design pretty well. It's just damn biggg.