An Inside Peek At North Korea on 60 Minutes

justin syder

Car(s)
1986 Mercedes-Benz 300E
An Inside Peek At North Korea

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/13/60minutes/main1209741.shtml

We were never allowed to touch or even see North Korean currency. Prices were always posted in euros. We were never sure whether the European currency was considered more solid than dollars or whether it was a slap at the United States. But the North Koreans love dollars. We were charged $78 to visit the Pueblo, the American spy ship. I needed thousands of dollars to pay our hotel bills in cash. Any bills that were wrinkled were returned to me quite dismissively. Credit cards do not exist.

Airing tomorrow on 60 Minutes. A MUST SEE for everyone wanting to see REAL oppression.

Sunday, Jan. 15, 2006

THE HERMIT KINGDOM ? 60 Minutes cameras offer a rare look inside the reclusive communist dictatorship of North Korea. Dan Rather reports. Tom Anderson is the producer.

60 Minutes, tomorrow, check your local listings. I'm sure most in North America will be able to see it. Not sure anywhere else though.

Looks interesting. TV2 sends 60 minutes here, I think a week after it airs in the States. I'll try to catch it.

Where does CBS stand in the political spectrum? American media seems to be somehow biased especially Murdoch's companies.

hajj said:
Where does CBS stand in the political spectrum? American media seems to be somehow biased especially Murdoch's companies.

I don't think CBS has a deliberate tilt left or right. But as with most journalists and media outlets, they inherently lean left. Perhaps it has to do with the personality type of the people that are interested in journalism etc...

Firecat said:
hajj said:

I don't think CBS has a deliberate tilt left or right. But as with most journalists and media outlets, they inherently lean left. Perhaps it has to do with the personality type of the people that are interested in journalism etc...

OK thanks! Does someone create rips for this? Footage from inside North Korea is rather rare these days. The last time this happened was a year or two ago.

hajj said:
OK thanks! Does someone create rips for this? Footage from inside North Korea is rather rare these days. The last time this happened was a year or two ago.

I stumbled across a theme night about North Korea on PHOENIX last year. They showed two documentations worth mentioning.

The first one was a film by Klaus Scherer who visited North Korea. They travelled with Korean officials so it wasn't that interesting since they pretty much restricted what he can film. IE the beloved leaders grave etc.
http://www.koreaverband.de/aktuelles/filmTip.html

The second one was a lot more interesting. Apparently as a westener you can book a a trip in a historic steam locomotive acros North Korea. A film crew from Radio Bremen did that under the disquse of German train enthusiasts. They secretly filmed everything on their way. It's quite impressive to see how everyday life is like in North Korea.
http://www.radiobremen.de/online/nordkorea/ard_film.html

I think both can be seen at least once a year on German television.

I think I saw the 2nd one, it was good and interesting. There was also an article about it somewhere.

If only Australia got to see it. There are quite a few travel diaries floating around the net as well, and from what I gathered, the tours they take you on are quite restrictive. You either go on a 3 day tour, or extended 7 day tour. You visit places like Pyongyang (where you stay for most of the time) and Panmunjon to visit the border. Other than that,you get to see lots of statues of the Dear Leader.

It's quite difficult to get access there as well. As an Australian, it is easier than for people from the US. You still have to supply the embassy with a letter from your employer, and other various documentation before they consider letting you in. I considered going because I truly find it interesting, however when I saw a few of these travel diaries, they all ended up showing the exact same thing, the same places, so it became slightly less appealing.

Some of the literature is truly hilarious though in the way they seem to manipulate the course of history. Visit the official website to read the biographies of the two leaders.

http://www.korea-dpr.com/

North Korea has also started to produce it's own car, which is just a rebadged Fiat Palio.

dprk3%20046.jpg