Saleen teaming with Parnelli Jones on special Mustang

jetsetter

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1997 BMW 528i
http://img228.imageshack.**/img228/4453/front3q9nv.th.jpg
http://img228.imageshack.**/img228/230/rear3q3jc.th.jpg

Not to be outdone by the Shelby/Hertz factory team effort, Steve Saleen is teaming with legendary racer Parnelli Jones to produce a limited-edition Mustang that echoes Jones? 1970 Grabber Orange Boss 302 race car.

The Saleen/Parnelli Jones Limited Edition Mustang, due this fall as a 2007 model, gets the same orange-and-black paint scheme and period-specific trim pieces as the original. Under the shaker hood Saleen stuffs a modern 302-cid, 370-hp, 370-lb-ft three-valve V8.

Saleen promises just 500 copies of the Parnelli Jones Mustang, priced in the mid-to-high-$50,000 range. For more information go to saleen.com/S302.htm
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060413/FREE/60411006/1062/NEWYORKAUTOSHOW

Pretty cool eh?

Cool but it means nothing to me because I don't know of American motor racing history so I have no clue who "Jones" is and what his car achieved. I also wouldn't buy a car with racing numbers on the side lol. Racing stripes yes however...

I am guessing the number is optional.

Rufus "Parnelli" Jones (born August 12, 1933 in Texarkana, Arkansas), is an American racing driver who won the 1963 Indianapolis 500. In his career, he won races in many types of vehicles: sports cars, Indycars, sprint cars, midget cars, off-road vehicles, and stock cars. He is the father of drivers P.J. Jones and Page Jones.

As long as this model mustang has a live rear axle it won't be a true performace car

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
Cool but it means nothing to me because I don't know of American motor racing history so I have no clue who "Jones" is and what his car achieved. I also wouldn't buy a car with racing numbers on the side lol. Racing stripes yes however...

Ok. Back in the late 1960's, a road race series called Trans Am was really big here in the US. Think Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, Chargers, Porches, etc...one stipulation in order to run in the Trans Am series was that the engine displacement was no larger than 302 C.I. Well, Ford had the lock on that one, and Chevrolet came out with the ULTRA rare 302 V8 Camaro SS to satisfy the rules.

Parnellli Jones was a driver in that series, among other things. His rival was Mark Donahue and Dan Gurney.
_HST3595.jpg

BTW ,the Trans Am series still runs today. Heres an AWESOME website of vintage Trans Am race photos. http://www.historictransam.com/home.htm

Made In the USA said:
As long as this model mustang has a live rear axle it won't be a true performace car

I think you are really limiting your scope of vision, though in part I agree that a live axle is a bit...archiac for this age.

Made In the USA said:
Careful, man, them's fightin' words. Almost as bad as springs of a leaf type and a certain fiberglass sports car hailing from Kentucky. ;)

jayhawk said:
BTW ,the Trans Am series still runs today. Heres an AWESOME website of vintage Trans Am race photos. http://www.historictransam.com/home.htm

MHB23349.jpg

I may have just wet myself. :drool:

Made In the USA said:

No need to be an ass now. I know several cars that have solid rears and handle quite well.

Vette Boss said:
This car makes me proud to be American... all the latest engine technology and everything.. it's really great.. if it were 1966. Ford really should work on modernising their engines and chassis technology. Europe and Japan are so far ahead now.

Grow up and look at the purpose of the car itself and what the auto companies are trying to do. The Mustang is built to be fun, cheap, and accessible. If you look at sales figures you will see that Ford's plan is working. Lets also take a look at US auto companies. You believe that they are not pushing the boundries but if you take a closer look you will see that they introduced more inovations first that any others.

jetsetter said:
Vette Boss said:
This car makes me proud to be American... all the latest engine technology and everything.. it's really great.. if it were 1966. Ford really should work on modernising their engines and chassis technology. Europe and Japan are so far ahead now.

Grow up and look at the purpose of the car itself and what the auto companies are trying to do. The Mustang is built to be fun, cheap, and accessible. If you look at sales figures you will see that Ford's plan is working. Lets also take a look at US auto companies. You believe that they are not pushing the boundries but if you take a closer look you will see that they introduced more inovations first that any others.

Don't be so blindly patriotic. Go drive a good Japanese sport coupe and compare it to the Mustang. Then, tell me if you think the Mustang has innovative and clever features. So far all I can tell is the Mustang has a button to change the colours on the dashboard... How innovative is that? Some lights..

I'm not being patriotic, I am being realistic. The Mustang is built for a specific market and it is doing well. For the price there is nothing that really compares. Also notice that I never said the Mustang is innovative, it is not, that is point. It is not made to be innovative.

Vette Boss said:

They are? They've developed something better than modular engine components, overhead cams, and variable valve timing, all things inherent in the Mustang engine? Golly gee, when did I miss that?

Er, I guess Japan is a bit behind on the modular component issue, but never mind that.

Oh, and try and find me a Japanese/European sports car beating the Mustang in sales.

Oh, wait, there isn't one. People speak with their wallets, and the people have spoken. Cheap performance>Expensive slowness.

Heck, while I'm at it, let's bring in some numbers.

2006 Acura RSX-S, base model (you don't even get floormats at this price.)
$24,500
176 SAE HP

2006 Mustang GT Deluxe Package
$25,815
300 SAE HP

So, for a measly 5.4% increase in price, you get a 70.5% increase in power, not to mention an even larger increase in low-end torque. I fail to see how the import's "innovative and clever features" have helped it out, other than make the price higher and the permormance mediocre at best.

BlaRo said:
Careful, man, them's fightin' words. Almost as bad as springs of a leaf type and a certain fiberglass sports car hailing from Kentucky. ;)

Watch it, you don't want to get Hoffed. Because rest assured, I will Hoff this thread if the need arises. I am the Hoffinator! :p

AAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgh!
Can?t we have one, JUST ONE thread about an american car that doesn?t end like this?!?

Parnelli Jones has also inspired a slogan "Who do you think you are? Parnelli Jones?" meaning your driving like a jack ass, thinking your a pro race driver.

jetsetter said:
Made In the USA said:

No need to be an ass now. I know several cars that have solid rears and handle quite well.
The only reason it has a live rear axle is because of cost cutting issues, plain and simple, it is a pitty what Ford has become and what they turned their icon into. GMs problems are public, but Ford is dying under the radar. The only reason why this car is selling is because of styling, and even now the they have to use rebates to get them off the lots. GM never used rebates for the Vette.

The only reason it has a live rear axle is because of cost cutting issues, plain and simple

Seems like you finally get it. A solid axle allows the Mustang to be priced well below the competition.

jetsetter said:
A solid axle allows the Mustang to be priced well below the competition.
"Well below," I think you should look at the prices of the RX-8 and 350 Z, the base Z is about $1,800 more than the base GT, but the RX-8 is right in line with it, when it comes to financing and leases the monthly payments aren't that far off at all, so...let me rephrase, it wasn't a cost cutting measure it was a profit maximizing measure, at the expense of performance.

Man, customers must love to have that axle-hop on their high horsepower cars :roll:

Sales figures speak for themselves. The more advanced auto does not always sell the best. Ford used a solid axle as a cost cutting measure so the car would appeal to a greater market and sell better, it worked.