[09x02] April 17th, 2006

Made In the USA said:
SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
Excuse me for breaking the ice here, but why should you avoid washing a car in the sun? We don't have a full overhead garage so I'm always washing + polishing in the sun.
When the car is washed in direct sunlight you have a very high chance of oxidizing the paint, very possible ruining the paint job. Just long exposure to sun light over the years will oxidize your paint, washing it while exposed will accelerate the process.

You should try to avoid washing your cars in the sun, cloud cover will do just fine or shade from a tree, building, etc... I have seen some owners buy canopies to cover their cars just when they wash them, now even I think that is a bit extreme

BTW: I love the fact that he is on call and will go anywhere to whipe off...shit. :lol:
Oh ok I understand now. In future, I will wash and detail the car during the late afternoon. I never knew about this!

Thanks for not treating me like a fool ;)

I thought this episode was pretty standard. The couple of things that sounded good, such as the police chase, were really pretty boring, as I knew it would be as they can hardly smash and crash the hell out of the brand new Q7 that Audi has lent them. So basically it turns into Tom driving down a road with car behind him. There was no sense of speed or excitement.

Of course the MPV was going to be safer then the 4WD...that is the whole point of the test, to show that they are not. Otherwise they wouldn't have bothered stating so many times that people think they are so safe.

I did like the replica sports cars, but even that was pretty flat and boring.

I just finished watching this ep :) HOW GOOD IS FIFTH GEAR THIS SEASON :thumbsup:

Tom's review was excellent. Told me everything I wanted to know about the Q7. I was particularly impressed with that blind-spot indicator feature! Its a lot of money but I'd definatly consider getting it as it aids my laziness behind the wheel :p

The shootout was my favourite part though. I am impressed by Vicki as a rev-head, especially with her messin' around with the handbrake :lol: THAT FORESTER WAS SO BLUE!! Viper said on the first page of this thread that he'd like to win the WRX. I'd rather the Forester myself...

I was facinated by that blokes attension to detail with the washing of the cars but like most people, I beg the question - "How much better is it than a regular detailer?". At first I thought washing exotic cars was a cool job but after hearing that people could just call him up to wipe some bird-shit off...I don't think so :lol:

The crash test was the best they'd ever done! I would have really prefered they test the all-mighty Espace to the bloody huge NEW Disco. That would have drawn more accurate conclusions. Jon Bentleys definatly growing on me :)

Tiffy & Jason's segment was pretty good. Tiff's car looked like a handfull to me, but I think Tiff was just being kind with his comments. I loved their Lemans style start to the race!

Watch out Top Gear - Fifth Gear is coming right at ya! :twisted:

Janus said:
I thought this episode was pretty standard. The couple of things that sounded good, such as the police chase, were really pretty boring, as I knew it would be as they can hardly smash and crash the hell out of the brand new Q7 that Audi has lent them. So basically it turns into Tom driving down a road with car behind him. There was no sense of speed or excitement.

Of course the MPV was going to be safer then the 4WD...that is the whole point of the test, to show that they are not. Otherwise they wouldn't have bothered stating so many times that people think they are so safe.

I did like the replica sports cars, but even that was pretty flat and boring.

I couldnt agree more. That Arizona chase was a huge dissapointment. How about that music selection eh? Is this a police car chase or a horse riding off into the sunset?

I think the vintage replicas part was the most interesting, despite being a tad dull. I find myself liking Jason the most of the presenters. He should be around more.

Told me everything I wanted to know about the Q7.

I did like what he said about the car. I'm quite interested in this car, have been for a while, as my mum has talked about getting an SUV and this would be the presitge SUV I would get. It was much more informative then anything else I have seen, including all the web sites and the Audi dealership, who were able to tell me a little about the car, but could only guess at the cost of the options and features. The dealer gave such accurate advice as "the glass roof with be expensive...as it is a big roof".

I didn't realise how big it was, I've seen them in person quite a few times and they have never look giant to me, but then again parking spaces etc in London are hardly spacious, like they tend to be in Australia. I like the lowering of the air suspension to put stuff in the high back. I know my mum will appreciate this feature as she has a bad back. :thumbsup:

Janus said:
It was much more informative then anything else I have seen, including all the web sites and the Audi dealership, who were able to tell me a little about the car, but could only guess at the cost of the options and features. The dealer gave such accurate advice as "the glass roof with be expensive...as it is a big roof".
That is appauling :thumbsdown: What is it with German cars and their dealers not knowing anything about the cars they sell.

Janus said:
I didn't realise how big it was, I've seen them in person quite a few times and they have never look giant to me, but then again parking spaces etc in London are hardly spacious, like they tend to be in Australia. I like the lowering of the air suspension to put stuff in the high back. I know my mum will appreciate this feature as she has a bad back. :thumbsup:
Even in most of Australia, I wouldn't want to own such a large vehicle. Does your mum really need something THAT big? If you really need something of that size, maybe consider what Tiff said and look into the new Merc GL which is bigger and more powerfull. Whether its better or not...I'm not sure yet.

Silly Tiff continuously calls it the NEW G-Class. He did it in the last episode of the last series and in this episode.

Q7 chase was too cut, no sense of actual speed. Did they want to hide it?

Top5 concept cars of the Geneva and not a word about Aero X, I can only say WTF....?

I just realised why most dont like those crash tests, they are artificially prolonged. But I'm very pleased that they had force sensors in dummies. I just hope they do certain crash test I asked :p

Biggest danger of SUV is roll over. They should have tried to bring it up somehow, but I do remember one old crash test where four wheeler rolled over.

Of course there was bit of forced result when using old vs new car.
But still they were similary priced according to them.

I'm sorry, but I thought this episode was total bullshit... and I generally like the Fifth Gear episodes more than most here.

The only good thing about the episode was the sound of that Forester... that thing sounds amazing.

P.S. Someone tell Tiff that the new Merc SUV coming out is the GL-Class and not the G-Class... he should know better. :roll:

I know you're kidding... but laziness behind the wheel isn't just laziness, it's danger. No amount of technical gizmos can protect you against being a lazy driver.

Its a lot of money but I'd definatly consider getting it as it aids my laziness behind the wheel :p

Even in most of Australia, I wouldn't want to own such a large vehicle. Does your mum really need something THAT big? If you really need something of that size, maybe consider what Tiff said and look into the new Merc GL which is bigger and more powerfull. Whether its better or not...I'm not sure yet.

As I said, I never really realised it was that big. I thought it was the same size as the X5, M class etc as I have never seen them all side by side.

The M used to be my favourite in the catagory, but I would never have bought one as they really were pretty crappy cars, but the new ones are meant to actually be good.

The GL is the new Land Cruiser type one isn't it? That is far to big, she wants something big, but not huge. Good around the city, not for crossing the Sahara.

Basically I have never contimplated getting any kind of SUV, but I really like the Q7 so for the first time an SUV is an option. :p

Mmm is it wrong that I want a Forester STi badly :unsure:

Geez all those people driving their SUV's gushing about their "safety" and not bothering about what they crash into had me reaching for a Very Big Stick :bangin:. It's the exact attitude I hate so much. Very satisfying to see the results of the crash test though (despite the flaws - i.e airbags not triggering).

Thank you Tiff, thank you Westfield XI for showing that it's not about power, not at all :clap: (yes I know he had a head-start, but in these days of 500+hp sedans it's great seeing a car using handling to go quick, not just bludgeoning it's way ahead with brute power)

Here's hoping those little studio chat sessions are officially gone - the show's so much better without them. So far this has been a great series :thumbsup:

M-Roadster next week - oh yeah!

Give me a Forester STi now, give it now now now!!!!!

*ahem* *regain composure*

I really enjoyed that episode and funnily enough, I really enjoyed Jon Bentley's segment (again!), there's just something quirky about his personality that makes him entertaining.

Jason and Tiff in the replicas was fantastic, good old Tiff taking it out using handling (good point there fbc) and not pooooowwwwwer!!!

F430 (race version) and M-Roadster next week :thumbsup:

I also really looked forward to the chase which as someone wrote ended being two cars driving one behind another. Except for that sharp corner Id say they were obeying the speed limits... Besides the chase it was a pretty good review of the car, I agree.

Otherwise pretty boring. The Tiff, Jason segment was nice but with cars that todays generations dont really appreciate except maybe for looking at them. Jason could have beat him with ease, l mean he caught him on the first straight. They were just being very careful with the cars, which I understand.

Impreza/forester part was watchable, I did not know about the adjustable diff. that is probabily the most useful thing I would want in a car . But why the hell dont they film the tacho or the revs counter, do a drag or whatever. Its dull this way. Maybe if they were on the track together as to show the advantages/disadvantages in reality and not only talk about it...

The crash test couldve been presented in half the time. And it was really not interesting since they used a landrover and not a proper SUV which the segment was all about.
It just doesnt seem much effort goes into plannig this show.

i missed it, but i'll just catch the repeat at midnight! :)

Amazing episode again! I'm really loving this series of Fifth Gear, maybe even as much as Top Gear now (yikes!) - for me Top Gear has gone too silly and less review(y) - but Fifth Gear has kept the reviews and finally got the show's layout sorted and the conematography up to scratch. I'm really loving it.

The only section that me and my gf didn't really enjoy was the old cars section, she thought it was alright, but I just don't like replicas. When I saw it at the start of the program I though "OMG! A 550!! SWEET" - I was let down. Everything else on the program was top notch though :)

Made In the USA said:
Excuse me for breaking the ice here, but why should you avoid washing a car in the sun? We don't have a full overhead garage so I'm always washing + polishing in the sun.
When the car is washed in direct sunlight you have a very high chance of oxidizing the paint, very possible ruining the paint job. Just long exposure to sun light over the years will oxidize your paint, washing it while exposed will accelerate the process.

You should try to avoid washing your cars in the sun, cloud cover will do just fine or shade from a tree, building, etc... I have seen some owners buy canopies to cover their cars just when they wash them, now even I think that is a bit extreme

BTW: I love the fact that he is on call and will go anywhere to whipe off...shit. :lol:

Washing your car in the sun will oxidize the paint faster? That sounds a little far-fetched. More like it'll dry unevenly before you can towel it off and you'll get some streaking/water spots. Many detergents however will remove the protection off of your paint so choose wisely. If you're cleaning your car in the sun, just make sure to keep it wet up until you dry it.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, would just dry leave spots before you have a chance to wipe it dry.

Brian said:
Made In the USA said:

Washing your car in the sun will oxidize the paint faster? That sounds a little far-fetched. More like it'll dry unevenly before you can towel it off and you'll get some streaking/water spots. Many detergents however will remove the protection off of your paint so choose wisely. If you're cleaning your car in the sun, just make sure to keep it wet up until you dry it.

The premise for the crash was good but it was poorly done.

First of all, why use a 10 year old SUV and an 2 year old MPV? That's obviously going to skew the results... and I thought a head-on collision wasn't the best scenario... do most people crash head-on? Are that many people falling asleep and drifting or what?