So the Stig is definitely not a F1 driver...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: So the Stig is definitely not a F1 driver...

matt_shaw said:
An F1 driver would have to get extra special permission to drive on the track away from F1. This pretty much rules out the current F1 driver.

Hmmm...don't the F1 drivers drive road cars as well? What is the extra special permission about? :?

well said:
matt_shaw said:
An F1 driver would have to get extra special permission to drive on the track away from F1. This pretty much rules out the current F1 driver.

Hmmm...don't the F1 drivers drive road cars as well? What is the extra special permission about? :?

Quite often their contracts forbid them from other activities perceived as carrying an injury risk that would affect their ability to race in F1.

SkylineFreak said:
The time was a fix, Mansell was a lot smoother around the track. smoother=faster.
looking at it I doubt if Stiggy came anywhere near the F1 drivers times, he was wide and out of shape through the Hammerhead and Gambon probably losing 2 seconds.
Why would they do it? Well it wouldn't be very good if their "Tame Racing Driver" couldn't go fastest around the track.

Ugh, It'd be discusting if the time were a fix. :thumbsdown: :x

BTW I don't think Mansell drove a lot smoother, in fact I think he went very aggressive, argubally cutting some corners on the way to a super fast time. Sometimes I am confused about the margin between him and Damon Hill. :shock:

fbc said:
Quite often their contracts forbid them from other activities perceived as carrying an injury risk that would affect their ability to race in F1.

Right, totally understandable. Cheers m8. ;)

Viper007Bond said:
Plus, those F1 drivers are SLOW! :lol:

With the exception of Hill, I thought both Webbers and Mansells times were quite impressive.

And I'm no Mansell fan, but he had at best 10 laps practice and managed to get a 1:44, Stig has driven round the lap more times then anyone else and only managed to beat him marginally (even though I realise the car is only worth so much time, I still would have expected more from the Stig).

I think it's clear in the real world and when compared to F1 drivers, Stig is at best average.

webber's was truly impressive. didn't he go out on a wet track? damon hill was surprisingly slow, probably due to the fact that he hasn't been racing at a competitive level for so long already.

LoneWolf said:
Viper007Bond said:
Plus, those F1 drivers are SLOW! :lol:

With the exception of Hill, I thought both Webbers and Mansells times were quite impressive.

And I'm no Mansell fan, but he had at best 10 laps practice and managed to get a 1:44, Stig has driven round the lap more times then anyone else and only managed to beat him marginally (even though I realise the car is only worth so much time, I still would have expected more from the Stig).

I think it's clear in the real world and when compared to F1 drivers, Stig is at best average.

I did not feel quite right seeing Mansell cutting corners a little bit to be honest, but he's super fast that's for sure. Hill seemed to went for a different line at the first chicane, don't know if his time has anything to do with it.

I doubt Stig's lap will ever be beaten. Will the Suzuka Liana be ever used to set a time?

POWERRR!! said:
webber's was truly impressive. didn't he go out on a wet track? damon hill was surprisingly slow, probably due to the fact that he hasn't been racing at a competitive level for so long already.

I seem to remember he tested a GP2 car last year and set consistently fast times? :roll:

maybe some1 culd go down the track and wait for him to show up, he must leave/arrive at some point

bbc.co.uk/topgear/ said:
Good to see more armchair racing drivers voicing their opinion.

noyoudidntcolbert.gif

Nice man :thumbsup:. I hate how so many people here know some much about racing and have yet to get their licenses.

well said:
LoneWolf said:
[I did not feel quite right seeing Mansell cutting corners a little bit to be honest, but he's super fast that's for sure. Hill seemed to went for a different line at the first chicane, don't know if his time has anything to do with it.

I doubt Stig's lap will ever be beaten. Will the Suzuka Liana be ever used to set a time?

Yeah, Mansell did cut corners, but he still would have been in the 1:44's if he hadn't.

The only way I can see them re-using the Liana is if another F1 driver turned up, it would be daft for them to make them go in the Daewoo.

Im still of the belief that the curent stig is a former rally driver. Given his hard in, pedal out driving fasion. And the quick sawing at the wheel for car correction. As well as the rather lurid power slides he often pulls off on throttle out of a bend.

And really, the only rally drive i know of with the credentials to do that sort of driving with any amount of compitance is Colin McRae.

But there may be someone else out there i dont know of.

In an earlier episode (forgot which one) Jeremy says something to the effect of "the stig has always said this car can do a 1:44." If the Stig could have gone faster, he probably would have said 1:43 or whatever. I assume the Stig knows that track well enough to give a fastest time.

hokiethang said:
VUK said:
maybe some1 culd go down the track and wait for him to show up, he must leave/arrive at some point

He probably arrives in the suit/helmet or in a very darkly tinted limo. :p

You know, that may well actually happen.

Buck-O said:
Im still of the belief that the curent stig is a former rally driver. Given his hard in, pedal out driving fasion. And the quick sawing at the wheel for car correction. As well as the rather lurid power slides he often pulls off on throttle out of a bend.

And really, the only rally drive i know of with the credentials to do that sort of driving with any amount of compitance is Colin McRae.

You know what, thats a good theory :thumbsup:

Another thing that I have know idea why I noticed, but The Stig has very skinny legs. Colin McRae is a skinny man; connection???

matt_shaw said:
Buck-O said:

You know what, thats a good theory :thumbsup:

Another thing that I have know idea why I noticed, but The Stig has very skinny legs. Colin McRae is a skinny man; connection???

Well, not just that, but i think Colin has the right attitude to really get a laugh out of doing somthing like the Stig.

Besides, its not like hes got a busy schedule or anything. :lol:

MasterEvilAce said:
I'm surprised the stig wasn't MUCH faster on the board..

1:44.4 is already bloody fast... at least faster than nigel mansell

Nigel weighs a lot more so if all things being equal, he did a better lap than the Stig.

Ximian said:
Nigel weighs a lot more so if all things being equal, he did a better lap than the Stig.

:lol: If that's not reaching for straws I don't know what is... Given the length of the track, and weight of the car itself, some extra body weight isn't going to make the difference. All respect to Nige and his lap though - he killed Damon's lap and that's all the matters for me :D

Status
Not open for further replies.