Would you rather have a new Z06 or a second hand Ferrari 360

Would you rather have a new Z06 or a second hand Ferrari 360

• Total voters
^ Right underneath home plate at Fenway, actually. That's where the "laser" is. :twisted:

When youngwarrior and MadCow were young, a Sting Ray ran over some daisies in their homes. That's why they harbor such animosity towards the Corvette today. Explains this, anyway:
MadCow809 said:
bartboy9891 said:
Then again, i hear the 360 is neither practical nor comfortable enough to use as a daily driver either.

at least alot better than the stupid corvette

Overhead valve engines are GM's cherry. They have developed these engines so well that with the right gearing (6-speed manual having the right gearing), I've seen highway mileage above 30+ MPG for a 330 HP engine. Plus, torque is a wonderful thing ;). No need to rev the snot out of the car in order to get it moving.

Some people really need to do some research.

And to add, this thread is turning pretty sour on all of the uneducated stabs at GM. Do some research and then come back. It is threads like these that make me want to keep buying GM and seeing other people's cars in garages ;).

Anyways, for me it would be the Z06 anyday. I've seen Corvettes driven in all sorts of weather.

So it's official...

youngwarrior has managed to make the least amount of friends in the shortest amount of time, in Finalgear.com history.

Just when I thought it was getting nice with Carsightings not posting topics like "Which way exhausts flow?", TG season 8 starts and the H.M.S. Amistad of Asshats lands on our pleasant little island.

zenkidori said:

Thank you non-idiots for finally teaming up against youngwarior and MadCow. I was starting to lose faith in humanity as I read the thread, but it has been at least partially restored.

As for the decision, I'd go with the 360 spider. If we are talking about me buying 60K cars, then that means that I will not yet have earned enough to take them out on tracks (the nearest worthwhile track for me is Sears Point, which is hardly cheap). And I doubt I am good enough to drive either car anyway, without lots of training. So, really it comes down to the fact that I would rather be a poser in a Ferrari than in a Z06. And I love convertibles.

In reality, if I could afford either one I think I would get a car I could have fun with on the roads without endangering anyone (Miata, Solstice, Sky or MR2), and a 550i or something.

I'd rather have anything over a Chevy. I don't care how many liters the engine is.

No Boss said:
So it's official...

youngwarrior has managed to make the least amount of friends in the shortest amount of time, in Finalgear.com history.

Don't forget MadCow(Disease)809 either No Boss! One big happy family of jackasses.

On the preceeding page I said:
Remember gents, first impressions last. :ban?:

BerserkerCatSplat said:
because the people who argue over supercar fuel economy are the same people that argue over HP/L - the fools. The fools that read too many magazines and watch too many TV shows and come out thinking they're some kind of expert.

Actually, TV shows dont talk about HP/Litre or even any engine specs apart from the size and the power it produces, cos that will bore the audience to death, i dont recall any motor tv show ever talked about how many valves the corvette has in its crap engine.

BerserkerCatSplat said:
So, I challenge you to explain to me why the LS7 would somehow be a "better" engine if it were, say, DOHC with 4V/cyl. Also, explain why having those features would make it a better seller, since that's the goal in the long run.

youngwarrior said:
3. GM still uses simple engines for two reasons. Firstly its a marketing gimmick because the average american things the bigger the engine the better, which is why the second X-Box was called the xbox 360, as microsoft were scared that when the average american came into the store and saw xbox 2 sitting next to the ps3, they would automatically go for the playstation as it has a higher number.

i believe that youngwarrior has explained it far better than i can, its simple, the yanks love seeing big engines, and it is alot cheaper to design a "2-valve-per-cylinder-good-american-engine"

BerserkerCatSplat said:
Also, explain why having those features would make it a better seller, since that's the goal in the long run.

Time to back up your claims.

1) better performance - extracting more horsepower available from the engine 2) better fuel consumption, instead of making the engine bigger and bigger to get more power from it, rather just spend some bloody money on the engine development and make a proper engine that gives a proper power figure, that way it will save the fuel consumption by alot.

but then again, i guess the americans are too stupid to figure out the difference between a cheap 7 litre 2 valve engine and a brilliant 5 litre high revving V10 engine. they will just look at the factory claimed figure and say "OH WOW! same bhp from all the engine, thanks i will take the 7litre cos it _looks_ bigger" and this is exactly why corvettes sell so well only in their own country, where as other car companies such as BMW and Mercedes can sell their cars to other countries.

http://www.ukintpress.com/engineoftheyear/winners/winner.html

maybe this site will show u why the yanks havnt won anything, they dont spend money in engine development, and yet u are still telling me that their engine is just as good as everyone else's.

UK Press said:
A list of the winners:

Best New Engine 2006
Volkswagen 1.4-liter TSI Twincharger (Golf)

Best Fuel Economy
Toyota 1.5-liter Hybrid Synergy Drive (Prius)

Best Performance Engine
BMW 5-liter V10 (M5, M6)

Sub 1-liter
Honda 1-liter IMA (Insight)

1-liter to 1.4-liter
Volkswagen 1.4-liter TSI Twincharger (Golf)

1.4-liter to 1.8-liter
Toyota 1.5-liter Hybrid Synergy Drive (Prius)

1.8-liter to 2-liter
Volkswagen 2-liter Turbo (Golf, Audi A3, A6, SEAT Leon, Skoda Octavia)

2-liter to 2.5-liter
Subaru 2.5-liter Turbo (Impreza, Forester, Saab 9-2X)

2.5-liter to 3-liter
BMW 3-liter Twin-Turbo Diesel (535d)

3-liter to 4-liter
BMW 3.2-liter (M3, Z4 M)

Above 4-liter
BMW 5-liter V10 (M5, M6)

International Engine of the Year 2006
BMW 5-liter V10 (M5, M6)

youngwarriors said:
Z06, very unreliable car, now we know why the porsches cost twice as much, they dont fall apart.

Watto said:
I don't see the South Africans designing any award winning engines.
like the aussies, we dont design engines, duh! but i hope u do know that the noble are assemble and built in SA : P

BerserkerCatSplat said:
For the HP numbers it produces, it certainly does.

there are plenty of engines that gives out 500bhp and have have better fuel consumption than a 7litre chevvy engine.

BlaRo said:
When youngwarrior and MadCow were young, a Sting Ray ran over some daisies in their homes. That's why they harbor such animosity towards the Corvette today.
ROFL

BlaRo said:
Explains this, anyway

The corvette and the F360 are both uncomfortable, but on a whole, the F360 is more of a daily supercar than the corvette, the engine is more refined, its a ferrari, and even though i hate the F360's interior its still 100X better than a corvette's interior. and the biggest reason why i chose the F360 over the corvette was because i can live with a F360 everyday, but i cant with a corvette. If i want a hard ride and track orientated car, i would choose something else (M3 CSL, M3 GTR, Noble, Lotus) over the corvette.

And funnily enough its only the americans that feel that way and one person from calgary. Hust give me some time and I will post all the facts, as I actually hang about on a vette forum and know this car inside out.

1. Its heavy for what it it,
2. American car companies use big engines because thats what the american public wants and likes.
3. Its not all that cheap for what it is.
4. Its unrelaible
5. Its not as fast as the 'ring time would suggest.

Now I will post the facts a bit later in the day, first I shall eat breakfast. No ones saying the Z06 is not fast but you americans constantly come out with annoying fanboy comments in which your putting down other cars other people love, and dismissing anything that the Z06 can beat or keep up with, just because its cheaper, and only seeing one side of the car, which is its performance. Its annoying and I dont like it. Hence why people have always these so called "wars".

TVR fans never used to spout off about how worthless or slow ferraris'

MadCow809 said:
Watto said:
I don't see the South Africans designing any award winning engines.
like the aussies, we dont design engines, duh! but i hope u do know that the noble are assemble and built in SA : P

Well, actually, all the engines (the Barra) in our Ford Falcon (and variants) models are designed and built in Australia.

Holden has also designed and built an engine for Alfa Romeo and Saab. They also designed and built the Alloytec engines which were released in the VZ model range.

Duh!

MadCow809 said:
there are plenty of engines that gives out 500bhp and have have better fuel consumption than a 7litre chevvy engine.
Name 5.

And just so you know, the Corvette Z06 gets 16/26 city/hwy miles per gallon.

youngwarrior said:
1. Its heavy for what it it
3. Its not all that cheap for what it is.
4. Its unrelaible

3 biggest problems I have.

1. You forgot the part about that being entirely "In your opinion". 3120lbs isn't at all heavy. Look at the 3815lb 575 Ferrari. Or the 3775lb BMW M6. Hell, the Z06 weighs less then the new Z4 M coupe.

3. In America the car sells for $65,000 and it'll crush damn near any car under $100,000 on a track, while still offering you 16/26mpg, leather interior, SatNav, AC, premium sound, etc etc. You can run with Porsche GT3's and 360CS's at the track and get 26mpg on the way home in the air conditioned comfort of the leather equipped cabin. This car is about the best value ever seen, so long as you don't get screwed with taxes and tariffs.

4. Utter nonsense. For one, the car is all new with an all new engine. So there's no way you could possibly make the determination that it's unreliable. But based on past knowledge of Chevrolet small block V8's, this new LS7 should be extremely reliable. 7.0L and only 505hp means the engine is running with very little stress. That's how it gets good fuel economy; in 6th gear at 80mph you'll be running at 1500rpm. The engine doesn't break a sweat in normal driving.

I think you should take a step back and come to the realization that the people defending the Z06 are doing exactly that, DEFENDING the Z06. Defending the car from idiots who obviously have no idea what they're talking about.

1. Those are luxury vehicles, the Z06 is void of any real luxury

3. Buy a Mitsubishi Evolution for 30k and spend the $4000 on it and you will have around 500hp

4. The engine is relaible, everything else isnt.

Mate trust me, I probably know more about the car than you. Z06 fans are like the Skyline R34 fanboys. Nothing can compete no matter the circumstances.

All will be revealed later tonight.

god, every time an american car gets compared to a car from elsewhere, the fanboys really get swinging and general nice discssion goes out the window. I've read this thread a hundred times, hell i've taken part in it half that, but it's always the same. There are US car fanboys and people who like other cars.

Yes, we know you like American cars, would I say no to a Z06? Shit no. But for crying out loud, will you ALL open your minds a bit. There are better cars out there than most American cars and some American cars are better than cars from elsewhere.

There. I said it.

For the record, I voted F360.

youngwarrior said:

3. Buy a Mitsubishi Evolution for 30k and spend the $4000 on it and you will have around 500hp

Mate trust me, I probably know more about the car than you. Z06 fans are like the Skyline R34 fanboys. Nothing can compete no matter the circumstances.

1. What? Seriously, do have any idea what you're talking about? What is your definition of REAL luxury? 900lbs of wood, aluminium trim, and leather? The Corvette Z06 is not a stripped down model.

3. Yeah sure whatever. Buy a shifter cart and destroy the little Lancer.

4. Still not seeing any proof.

You know nothing. That's obvious.

flyingfridge said:
god, every time an american car gets compared to a car from elsewhere, the fanboys really get swinging and general nice discssion goes out the window.
Only if your idea of a general nice discussion is a bash-fest. I'd like to set back and quietly be content with the Z06's achievements, but every 5 minutes there's another person regurgitating the age-old nonsense about bad quality and poor reliability. In the face of contradicting facts, they still spew the same garbage.

Oi, Settle the Fuck Down. The reality is, you two agree to disagree. If you like the Z06, fine. Like it, love it. Same for the Evo. It's your kind of car, fair enough. Not all people like that philosophy. Otherwise the Z06 would be the only car on the market and everybody would be happy.

Sure the Z06 is a great car, personally, I'd never buy one because I don't like the philosophy of a big V8 in with a low tech drivetrain and chassis in a fibreglass car. I'd never say no if someone wanted to give me one.

By the same token, there is no disputing the Evo is a great car. Again, I'd never buy one. It's a four door, I like a sleek 2 door body, it has the high tech drivetrain but the engine needs a massive laggy turbo to make enough torque. Again, i'd never say no if someone wanted to give me one, but i'd never buy one with my own money.

I can see by your post counts you weren't here for the last big 'The American Car is better than everything' thread. But these threads really are just pointless. They are both great cars in their own right, whether you like them or not. Just be big enough to admit it.

And just to tie up your Holden engine fact watto, the Saab and Alfa engines ARE the Alloytec, they're just lower capacity versions with different heads and a turbo for the Saab.

TomCat said:
youngwarrior said:

1. What? Seriously, do have any idea what you're talking about? What is your definition of REAL luxury? 900lbs of wood, aluminium trim, and leather? The Corvette Z06 is not a stripped down model.

3. Yeah sure whatever. Buy a shifter cart and destroy the little Lancer.

4. Still not seeing any proof.

You know nothing. That's obvious.

1. americans idea of luxury is a BMW 3 series. Its not.

3. A shifter what? Race a Z06 against a FQ340 on a B-road and the evo will smash it.

4. Because I have builders round my house Im only going to make quick replies

5. You already dismiss anything I say before Ive even posted my numerous facts. Well done you live up to your stereotype. Your always right. :roll:

flyingfridge, you're right in that these types of threads generally accomplish nothing. You're wrong that the Americans think the Z06 is the greatest car in the world and nothing can touch it. The Americans are simply arguing against the blatant lies and BS claims being thrown around by 16yr old wanna-be knowitalls that don't even have their license yet.

I'll probably jump in this later, but I have to head off to work at the moment. Youngwarrior and Madcow...you guys know virtually nothing about cars. You're embarassing yourselves and you don't even know it. Every single point either of you have made so far has been smashed to pieces by logic and fact, and yet you soldier on. If there's one thing funnier than a fool, it's a determined fool. Thanks for the laughs.

Also, before I head out the door, just wanted to say I think it's HILARIOUS that some of you are going on about the Z06 being a "track only" car, and impossible to drive daily. :lol: None of you have driven A Z06, and that's the only way you could possibly know if it's too stiff for daily driving. Stop taking Clarkson's word as Gospel, and do some thinking for yourselves...if your brains are even capable of such a feat.
FWIW, my boss has a C6 Z06, and yes it's stiff, but only when provoked. When cruising, it's surprisingly compliant. Sucks up small bumps almost as well as a base Vette.