[08x04] May 28th, 2006

JoeBlo1 said:
Top Gear is supposed to be a light-hearted motoring show! Getting serious and criticizing the show is like getting upset after seeing a fireworks display; it's free, so just enjoy yourselves!

A little critique here and there is fine but some people go overboard. It's like they are purposely setting themselves up to criticize every small flaw in the show.

To be honest, I think I've only ever moaned about TG on here once before.

However, if a lot of people are complaining, ignore them. Better still, you can try and take up argument with them by saying why you disgaree with them.

It's the nature of free debate and forums, everyone has an opinion and since we don't live in a perfect world, not everyone agrees.

MPalmz said:
Hammond's Races are becoming GAY for the simple reason's that they're rehearsed (from his end obviously) and they always seem to end the EXACT same way: Hammond thinking he's going to win and then loses by a hair. He must set it up to know he can win and then slow the car up at spots to even it out.

I can assure you that the race wasn't rigged. The race was held and the result you saw on Sunday was the real one. We went to great lengths to make a fair race, using radios to synchronise the start and GPS to position the helicopter over the start line.

I was the freefall cameraman for this segment and had quite a good view on the race.

It has been very interesting reading peoples opinions of the "car vs squirrel race" on this forum. I think Top Gear is a unique program that appeals to incrediblly broad range of society. The race features are a novelty and from one perspective useless, BUT I think many people find them entertaining.

Working with the TG team was an incredibly enjoyable experience, the fun and energy you see on camera is present off camera as well :)

Long flights,
J

I don't think its the uselessness that anyone minds; we enjoy the irrelevant, almost pointless style of top gear. It just does seem rather contrived when they both finish in the same shot :)

Interesting to hear it definately wasn't set-up, i too presumed it was. Thanks for the info.

unclecharlie said:
I was the freefall cameraman for this segment and had quite a good view on the race.

It has been very interesting reading peoples opinions of the "car vs squirrel race" on this forum. I think Top Gear is a unique program that appeals to incrediblly broad range of society. The race features are a novelty and from one perspective useless, BUT I think many people find them entertaining.

Working with the TG team was an incredibly enjoyable experience, the fun and energy you see on camera is present off camera as well :)

Long flights,
J
That's really cool that you were involved in the race; there's a lot of people here interested in Top Gear's cinematography that would like to talk to you, and a few skydivers as well (Roman, where are you? :D)

:welcome:, hope you stick around!

I can assure you that the race wasn't rigged. The race was held and the result you saw on Sunday was the real one. We went to great lengths to make a fair race, using radios to synchronise the start and GPS to position the helicopter over the start line.

Working with the TG team was an incredibly enjoyable experience, the fun and energy you see on camera is present off camera as well

Long flights,
J

I hope you're not full of **** and was actually involved in the race :x

Welcome! :thumbsup:

JoeBlo1 said:
SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
LoneWolf said:
BlaRo said:
Sigh...some people are never satisfied. Just sit back and enjoy the damn show!

Dude, this is a place devoted to Top Gear (albeit 50%). If there's one place you should be allowed to voice your opinions on the show, it's here.
Agreed!

And if anything, we should be the MOST critical of Top Gear (and Fifth Gear).

Top Gear is supposed to be a light-hearted motoring show! Getting serious and criticizing the show is like getting upset after seeing a fireworks display; it's free, so just enjoy yourselves!

A little critique here and there is fine but some people go overboard. It's like they are purposely setting themselves up to criticize every small flaw in the show.
Top gear is not free for the people who pay the TV fee, and they have every right to complain when they think the content of the show is not up to par.

so are you still LCP in the army while working?
or have u been honorably discharged?

kekekeke said:
JoeBlo1 said:
SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
LoneWolf said:
BlaRo said:
Sigh...some people are never satisfied. Just sit back and enjoy the damn show!

Dude, this is a place devoted to Top Gear (albeit 50%). If there's one place you should be allowed to voice your opinions on the show, it's here.
Agreed!

And if anything, we should be the MOST critical of Top Gear (and Fifth Gear).

Top gear is not free for the people who pay the TV fee, and they have every right to complain when they think the content of the show is not up to par.

Sure, and provided the criticism is contructive it's all good and helpful, but just coming out and slamming the show - which happens often in this and the FG threads - doesn't help one little bit, can look very immature and is a bit of a waste of time.

If you want to complain about the content go right ahead, but explain why you didn't like it, do it in a mature way, and offer suggestions*

* Yes, quite a lot of posters do this already, and that's good to see.

kekekeke said:

I think there are better reasons to justify complaining about a television show because you can say the same for any program. Paying your local provider doesn't affect the quality of BBC's shows.

I'm surprised you believe the content of Top Gear is not up to par.

JoeBlo1 said:
kekekeke said:

I think there are better reasons to justify complaining about a television show because you can say the same for any program. Paying your local provider doesn't affect the quality of BBC's shows.

I'm surprised you believe the content of Top Gear is not up to par.
No, the TV fee from the public funds the BBC, the public have every right to ask for good content.

TOP GEAR GOOD!!!

I must say, this was the first 'old school' Top Gear episode of this season, with a good mix of Reviews and some cocking about.

The Merc test drive was hilarious, esp when they had the lap off the track with the wood burining stove on :lol:

Actually, I agree that perhaps Top Gear is not carrying on the same quality as it did the previous seasons, but actually, anyhting is a welcome relief from the endless soap operas which are popular here in India.

In fact, Top Gear here is only a 1/2 hour show, that too with an ad break. many segments are truncated and generally its quite short :( .

Hope james gets some more coverage in the next few episodes, and I really hope he is'nt leaving TG :( .

The least entertaining of all the episodes this season but still good. I would imagine this satisfied most of those who were complaining about there being too much goofing off and not enough car reviews in the previous episodes. I thought the S-Class review would be boring but was quite good. I liked the bit with him talking about the entertainment system while on the entertainment system. Some nice sound effects. The interior re-design was classic, and Richards porsche drive was interesting in that ive never heard him sound so aggressive "POWER POWER POWER!"

Anybody else catch this?
http://img88.imageshack.**/img88/7439/frenchie7ok.jpg

A) What about the lady?

B) Why are you quoting yourself and not even saying anything new or whatever.

:bangin:

RallyeSport said:
What a silly episode, please focus.

About the Koenigsegg, the car was specially prepared for the top gear track with the wing and the most certainly made suspension adjustment since they had the opportunity to come back. I think it sounded different to, maybe exhaust and some boost increasment. About five seconds off with just a wing? That track isn't that high speed. It shows that Koenigsegg spends too little money on testing and they need feedback from others to make it work. But thats the Koenigsegg philosophy, get free advice and make customers pay for what is and on going development program. Disgusting.

Are you daft? Seriously, just by listening to the CCX you could detect an increase in boost pressure :lol: 5 Seconds off? He crashed the car :lol: You are bashing them for taking the recommendations of the people who test the car? :lol: When was the last time Porche or Ferrari did that? You sir, havent a clue.

And pls correct me if im wrong, but the last CCX they tested never got in a proper fast lap, right? So how can we tell what that wing did? Maybe it could have ran a 1:18 and the wing only gave it .4.

My point being, there is FAR more to the aero downforce of that CCX than some tiny wing, and to say it handled poorly is plain laugable. Did you see how well it turned on the last 2 corners? PERFECT neutral rotation with ZERO understeer and not a hint of oversteer. Give credit where credit is due. :roll:

Viper007Bond said:
A) What about the lady?

B) Why are you quoting yourself and not even saying anything new or whatever.

:bangin:

well the fact that she was there in the studio and they didnt mention it and that was an accident and had already realized that when you were still typing your message lol

Oooooooooooooooooooooohhhhh, I gotcha. I was thinking it was just a random lady and not the interior design woman. I'm with 'ya now. :)

I liked the CCX lap, amazing what a wing can do ! I think the Porsche vs skydiver was a bit boring after the first 5 secs or so.. :(