Ideas for Top Gear Challenges

Peter3hg

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Audi A3 1.4 TFSI Honda Hornet CB600S
As this is being discussed in Pre-Episode Discussion and that will be locked I thought I would start a thread for it. So what challenges would you like to see. Can be three cars for ?n, races or car sports.

Ok, heres an idea: Have all three drive against each other in some mid priced diesel vehicle...across Russia. On only 5-6 fill ups of diesel. Whoever makes it from middle russia to Moscow first wins.

each of them choose a car, any car, and see who can get across germany the fastest, say kiel to munich or something like that.

There's only one thing that consequently haven't been included in any of the races so far - motorbikes (We probably all know the reason why, Mr. Clarkson).

because they love norway a race between Clarkson driving the new Q7 and James and Hammster on dogsleds from south to north .

or

Clarkson and his GT against Hammond and James motorbikes (I don't know what for bikes they both own) from London to Madrid (they never went to spain I think)

How about James with satnav, vs Hammond and Jeremy with just maps. I can just see how that goes.... Actually, there could be some route where it could be close, even with James's sense of direction!

triumph said:
Clarkson and his GT against Hammond and James motorbikes (I don't know what for bikes they both own) from London to Madrid (they never went to spain I think)

:lol: This one would be awesome! We all know how much Clarkson hates bikes.

Budget Family Holiday.

Each presenter has to plan a holiday for a family of 4 to a popular destination for British Families.

They purchase the vehicle and are given 3 manikins (crash test dummies) to form their family. Accomodation and fuel costs are included in challenge, so a Campervan, Caravan, Winnebago, are all viable options.

They travel to destination. Breakdowns are fixed and added to costs

They plan out what their "families" will be doing over the next 5 days. Points awarded by a real family on which 5 days they would prefer. Each of their plans is costed.

They return from destination. Again all costs are calculated including breakdowns.

They sell what they originally bought, any profit or loss on sale is added / deducted from cost of holiday

Total holiday cost is calculated.

Winner awarded on a number of criteria including comfort, speed (number of hours on the road), fun, cost, and maybe even style.

In my mind Clarkson would have a Merc Estate wagon towing an impossibly long Caravan, Hammond a VW Campervan, and May would have his family squeezed into an old Fiat with a giant roofbox containg a tent and luggage.

gazza said:
Budget Family Holiday.

Each presenter has to plan a holiday for a family of 4 to a popular destination for British Families.

They purchase the vehicle and are given 3 manikins (crash test dummies) to form their family. Accomodation and fuel costs are included in challenge, so a Campervan, Caravan, Winnebago, are all viable options.

They travel to destination. Breakdowns are fixed and added to costs

They plan out what their "families" will be doing over the next 5 days. Points awarded by a real family on which 5 days they would prefer. Each of their plans is costed.

They return from destination. Again all costs are calculated including breakdowns.

They sell what they originally bought, any profit or loss on sale is added / deducted from cost of holiday

Total holiday cost is calculated.

Winner awarded on a number of criteria including comfort, speed (number of hours on the road), fun, cost, and maybe even style.

In my mind Clarkson would have a Merc Estate wagon towing an impossibly long Caravan, Hammond a VW Campervan, and May would have his family squeezed into an old Fiat with a giant roofbox containg a tent and luggage.
Good idea but somehow just can't see them doing that.

a caravan challenge!
each presentor must travel somewhere with his caravan. points are awarded to the presenter who had the shortest/longest trail of traffic behind him. points are also awarded to the presentor who bought the caravan with the most facilities, and to the presentor who comes up with the most original way to destroy his caravan.

How about if clarkson takes his toyboata and sees if can make it to australia? :lol:

osabros said:
a caravan challenge!
each presentor must travel somewhere with his caravan. points are awarded to the presenter who had the shortest/longest trail of traffic behind him. points are also awarded to the presentor who bought the caravan with the most facilities, and to the presentor who comes up with the most original way to destroy his caravan.

Great idea - especially the last part (it's quite some time ago since the last caravan was destroyed in a Top Gear episode)

whatabout some race on the track with duel controls cars like the proton.Stig in the passanger seat a each of them do a one lap.I cannot imagine James face,it will lokk like this? :shock: or this? :woot:

How about this...

They're each given a thousand pounds to buy a hot hatch, any hot hatch. (don't tell them what it's for)

Once they've bought a car, they are then given an additional 500 pounds to fix up the cars any way they want (again don't give them any clues on what the competition is about).

Then they enter their "fixed up" cars in a Car Show (preferably one with alot of "youngsters") in which they have to drive their cars to the car show (make it far), points for whichever car gets the most attention/prizes, points are deducted for breakdowns on the way to the car show. Maybe make individual contests like who has the loudest stereo, who has the rims with the most "bling", and who has the largest exhaust pipe! :lol:

Finally, their cars are sold at an auction (rip off of fifth gear :twisted: ) and they get a point for every 10 pounds over 1500 pounds they sell their car for, and they get deducted 1 point for every 1500 pounds they get deducted. :thumbsup:

KennyStang said:
How about this...

They're each given a thousand pounds to buy a hot hatch, any hot hatch. (don't tell them what it's for)

Once they've bought a car, they are then given an additional 500 pounds to fix up the cars any way they want (again don't give them any clues on what the competition is about).

Then they enter their "fixed up" cars in a Car Show (preferably one with alot of "youngsters") in which they have to drive their cars to the car show (make it far), points for whichever car gets the most attention/prizes, points are deducted for breakdowns on the way to the car show. Maybe make individual contests like who has the loudest stereo, who has the rims with the most "bling", and who has the largest exhaust pipe! :lol:

Finally, their cars are sold at an auction (rip off of fifth gear :twisted: ) and they get a point for every 10 pounds over 1500 pounds they sell their car for, and they get deducted 1 point for every 1500 pounds they get deducted. :thumbsup:

Thats good but James May dont like this pimping scene to much....I think the best chllenge with the three cars was the first with the volvo, audi and roverrrr.

Its very dificuilt to do this again.

how about this.giv them 1500 pounds to buy one hot hatch and than a nother 1500 pounds to improve it.The challenge is: Stig must done one lap on the track and be faster with the car than the best of the hot hatches on the board.

HondaTeamCZ said:
KennyStang said:
How about this...

Thats good but James May dont like this pimping scene to much....I think the best chllenge with the three cars was the first with the volvo, audi and roverrrr.

Its very dificuilt to do this again.

how about this.giv them 1500 pounds to buy one hot hatch and than a nother 1500 pounds to improve it.The challenge is: Stig must done one lap on the track and be faster with the car than the best of the hot hatches on the board.

That would definately be interesting, but need to add a few more "challenges" to it before the Stig gets his hands on them.

I know that James May doesn't like the "pimping" scene too much, but that's why I think it would make for a funny episode... it would be interesting to see what ideas they would come up with for a "pimp" car... maybe they could get that guy from the UK version of Pimp My Ride (Westwood or whatever his name is) to be a "consultant" on how to pimp rides... or he could be a judge.

How about this one:

Each is told to go buy a car for 3K and they have no idea what the challenge is. All 3 show up with their cars and are then told that it's an endurance challenge and to spend whatever's left over fixing their car and replacing parts to make it last longer. They have 1 week

The Challenges:

The cars are assessed and an inventory of faults is recorded.

6 Hours of driving around a proving ground that accelerates wear - like the Mercedes segment in Fifth Gear. Points lost for every breakdown, open bonnet, or electical fault

2 hours of flat-out running at a track - Points lost for every breakdown, open bonnet, or electical fault

A driving course at the beach in Wales that includes a romp in the saltwater. Points lost for every breakdown, open bonnet and electrical fault (after the cars have dried out) Points lost for not finishing.

Offroad Abuse - Drive-to-destruction ralley course including tight turns, potholes, jumps, water crossings, etc. Each car will be driven until it breaks or is unable to complete a lap within a given time. Each lap completed earns more time for the next lap- if the countdown reaches zero the car is finished. This should be done by a pro-ralley driver. Points are gained for every lap completed but not for the lap that kills the car.

Final point count at the Top Gear studio and Jeremy explaining why he won (even if he didn't)

Blind_Io said:
How about this one:

Each is told to go buy a car for 3K and they have no idea what the challenge is. All 3 show up with their cars and are then told that it's an endurance challenge and to spend whatever's left over fixing their car and replacing parts to make it last longer. They have 1 week

The Challenges:

The cars are assessed and an inventory of faults is recorded.

6 Hours of driving around a proving ground that accelerates wear - like the Mercedes segment in Fifth Gear. Points lost for every breakdown, open bonnet, or electical fault

2 hours of flat-out running at a track - Points lost for every breakdown, open bonnet, or electical fault

A driving course at the beach in Wales that includes a romp in the saltwater. Points lost for every breakdown, open bonnet and electrical fault (after the cars have dried out) Points lost for not finishing.

Offroad Abuse - Drive-to-destruction ralley course including tight turns, potholes, jumps, water crossings, etc. Each car will be driven until it breaks or is unable to complete a lap within a given time. Each lap completed earns more time for the next lap- if the countdown reaches zero the car is finished. This should be done by a pro-ralley driver. Points are gained for every lap completed but not for the lap that kills the car.

Final point count at the Top Gear studio and Jeremy explaining why he won (even if he didn't)
This is not bad idea, somethnig like 24 hours of Le Mans, but in very tough conditions...

That would definately be interesting, but need to add a few more "challenges" to it before the Stig gets his hands on them.

I know that James May doesn't like the "pimping" scene too much, but that's why I think it would make for a funny episode... it would be interesting to see what ideas they would come up with for a "pimp" car... maybe they could get that guy from the UK version of Pimp My Ride (Westwood or whatever his name is) to be a "consultant" on how to pimp rides... or he could be a judge.

Thats for sure.The final challenge will be the lap, but the intresting part is the modifying the car.You know, buy a 309 GTi and rip out the interier, plastic windows and bonet, slick tyres and like Jeremy say "we need more power":)

The dificuilt part is the challenges.The challenges could be like this.

1.Challnege - improving the engine and one lap
2.Challenge - improving the chasis and suspension and brakes and do one lap to see difrence
3.Challenge - improve tha bodyshell (weight down, ligts rip off,...) and do one lap and see the difrence
4.Challenge - finaly Stig do one lap in the car and try to be faster then modern hatches on the board.

First challenge for James May, second challenge for Jeremy, third challenge for Richard and than you can see how much the improves takes difrence between laps on the track.

All 3 are told to buy a cheap car ?2-5k and are then told to make their cars into 1/4 mile super cars, they have a week and everything goes - as in the boat challenge they get help from experts and there are no money limits.