Official World Cup 2006 Thread?

SellSpeed said:
hurray!

Some of these refs are just pathetic. What I don't understand is why they dont have a system in place that can allow teams to challange the referee's calls (like they do in American football). Really bad calls can't always entirely be called justifiable just to keep the pace of the game going.

Rules are rules. There should be a system where something like each team can challange a referee's call a maximum of twice in each game.

I dunno. You guys might not agree with me or may see conflicts that this system can cause. Though you all know that sometimes things can turn out totally and utterly rediculous in the end.

Btw, to those of you who dont know what Im talking about. Challanging the ref is when a team says the ref made a bad call and he must review his call by watching replays of the game. In american football, if the challange fails, the team that made the challange recieve a penalty. On the other hand, if the challange wins then the call is in favor for the team that challanged.

That aspect of the game is what makes it special. Football would be horrible with replays. We would have never seen goals like Maradonna's Hand of God if it was for replays. There are some things that shouldn't change, and this is one of them. So far the refereeing has been great, much better than 2002.

D-Fence said:
another stupid post full of prejudice.......have you ever been to germany? come to germany, find a club, get inside, stay, watch, i bet you see no girls with hairy armpits

the only woman i remember with hairy armpits was nena....and she was stupid.

same prejudice like saying all british girls are red haired fat and full of freckles.
Sorry mate it was only a joke. I'm actually going to Germany for a fortnight in about 3 weeks and I'm sure I'll visit a few clubs.
I have been to Germany before but only stayed one night in Baden-Baden on my way to Switzerland.

Finally a game with bit of passion. Go Holland!

FireFox said:
and we lost :(
btw, is that a record, 4 red cards in a championship match?
Yep 4 reds is a record for a World Cup match and 16 yellows equals the record for yellows in a World Cup match. That ref was not fit to be there. No one would have been left on the field if it went to extra time.
At least when we play them a few players will be missing and the others will be worried about being booked.

should the referee rather let them foul as much as they want? i have only seen the last 20 minutes or so and the decisions seemed to be right.

ryosuke said:
should the referee rather let them foul as much as they want? i have only seen the last 20 minutes or so and the decisions seemed to be right.
No he shouldn't but he should use his descretion and decide that sending players off will have ill effects on the game. Theres a compromise that needs to be struck and I think he was way way off the mark.

Crazy match, very exciting. You could feel the tension, I'm surprised nobody threw any punches. I can't really pass the blame onto the ref, the players should know better as well.

Firecat said:
Crazy match, very exciting. You could feel the tension, I'm surprised nobody threw any punches. I can't really pass the blame onto the ref, the players should know better as well.

There were quite a few moments of unsportsmanship in that game.

NoooOOoOoOooooOoo! my team out. Oh well, I need someone else to support. (i'm allowed to do this as my country never made it there).

Go Germany :p

God I love football fights :lol:

Do you see that Portugese guy giving the Dutch guy a nipple twister.

Cheating Italian bastards.

Oh man, Italy won it at the last minute. I was expecting it to go into overtime.

Oh my God :shock: :shock: :shock:
I was really hoping Australia would win, they played really well, the italians drew with USA, whats more shitty than that.
and what was the penalty for that guy jumped on the defender himself, very shameless indeed.