The Stig Was Arrested!

skip said:
vanMould said:
Cobol74 said:
US Police have GUNS, British Police are armed with. ....
Scarcasm - you have been warned.

Don't you think that's because the rest of the population has guns as well? ;)

Gotta admire Japan. Appearently NO civilans are allowed to carry guns over there. Ever.

Similiar to Australia, if you have a hand gun you need to be in a gun club, even then you have to leave it there and it has to be locked in a safe AND you don't have the key !! If you want a rifle you have to own a farm, if it's a shotgun you can register it on someone elses farm but it needs to be looked away in a gun cabinate at your place, even BB guns are illegal.
Thats quite tough. To own anytype of legal gun in this country you just need a certificate for that type of gun. To get the certificate you need to have a good reason to own the gun (i.e. sporting use) and you need a secure place to keep it.

peter3hg2 said:
skip said:
vanMould said:
Cobol74 said:

Gotta admire Japan. Appearently NO civilans are allowed to carry guns over there. Ever.

Similiar to Australia, if you have a hand gun you need to be in a gun club, even then you have to leave it there and it has to be locked in a safe AND you don't have the key !! If you want a rifle you have to own a farm, if it's a shotgun you can register it on someone elses farm but it needs to be looked away in a gun cabinate at your place, even BB guns are illegal.
Thats quite tough. To own anytype of legal gun in this country you just need a certificate for that type of gun. To get the certificate you need to have a good reason to own the gun (i.e. sporting use) and you need a secure place to keep it.

I quite like our tough gun regulations...

jetsetter said:
For example, I've heard that some modern history books reduce the American Civil War to about a paragraph and mention it only in passing. Unthinkable.

Trust this from someone who was in highschool not too long ago,it is not as bad as you make it seem. During our second year one of the tests was to name 200 countries, geological features, and cities and their locations from memory. Quite a few, including myself, got 200 out of 200. In our third year we spend quite awhile on the Civil War discussing the causes, effects, etc.

200 countries? How many countries are there in the world? Wasnt it like 240, including the british commenwealth countries and the french offshots?

Dang thats pretty hard!

Offtopic...

In 6th grade we had to name all the European countries on this map. People failed horribly.

Have you seen the Israeli's stance on guns (well ya they are at war all the time)? If your in basic training (i think...) You have to take your gun everywhere! Even if your off duty and at the beach. I think its a 7 year jail time if you lose your gun.

Dark_Templer_102 said:
Dang thats pretty hard!

Offtopic...

In 6th grade we had to name all the European countries on this map. People failed horribly.

I challenge the Europeans to name all the countries that made up former Yugoslavia :mrgreen:

janstett said:
Dark_Templer_102 said:
Dang thats pretty hard!

Offtopic...

I challenge the Europeans to name all the countries that made up former Yugoslavia :mrgreen:
Current: Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Bosnia Hercegovina, Slovenia, Albania, Macedonia and Croatia.

Edit: Czechoslovakia split into Czech Republic and Slovakia, but the again, DDR and BRD got joined together. Though, we did get the baltics, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuenia. :)

You Americans are better when it comes to political stability, I'll give you that. (US of A and Canada)

With regards, Simon. :)

peter3hg2 said:
skip said:
vanMould said:
Cobol74 said:

Quite right: http://www.parker-hale.com/law.htm

Cobol74 said:
peter3hg2 said:
skip said:
vanMould said:
Cobol74 said:

Quite right: http://www.parker-hale.com/law.htm

The thing is though, the people who follow these laws arent the people who are the problem.

^ Yep I am afraid you are quite correct - still it should not be over stated, gun crime is rare really. Our police, for the moment, are not usually armed.

Cobol74 said:
^ Yep I am afraid you are quite correct - still it should not be over stated, gun crime is rare really. Our police, for the moment, are not usually armed.

"Now if you commit a crime in England you don't have a gun and the police don't have a gun. What good is that 'Police! Stop!..... or I'll say 'Stop' again!" - Robin Williams, Live at the Met (sometime in the mid 1980's)

The problem I have with the laws over there about gun ownership is this: who decides what a "good" reason is for having a gun? When a nation won't even let it's own Biathalon team train in it's home country because their .22 rifles are illegal something is not right there.

I know that they would not let me own a pistol, even though I have never been convicted of a crime and only shoot at a controled firing range at paper targets. It's recreation for me, but I'm sure that's not a "good" reason to own a gun.

nomix said:
janstett said:
Dark_Templer_102 said:
Dang thats pretty hard!

Offtopic...

Current: Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Bosnia Hercegovina, Slovenia, Albania, Macedonia and Croatia.
Kosovo isn't a seperate country, it's an autonomous province of Serbia.

Blind_Io said:
Cobol74 said:

"Now if you commit a crime in England you don't have a gun and the police don't have a gun. What good is that 'Police! Stop!..... or I'll say 'Stop' again!" - Robin Williams, Live at the Met (sometime in the mid 1980's)

The problem I have with the laws over there about gun ownership is this: who decides what a "good" reason is for having a gun? When a nation won't even let it's own Biathalon team train in it's home country because their .22 rifles are illegal something is not right there.

I know that they would not let me own a pistol, even though I have never been convicted of a crime and only shoot at a controled firing range at paper targets. It's recreation for me, but I'm sure that's not a "good" reason to own a gun.
The reason the Biathlon team don't train here is because of a distinct lack of snow. :D .22 Rifles aren't illegal.
There is no decision about what is a good reason, its all down specifically in the Firearms Act (1997). Basically you must be a member of a club, a farmer or a certified animal hunter.
The only reason you wouldn't be allowed a pistol is handguns are illegal unless you buy an old carbine or have it over 2 foot.
The only reason they would refuse a firearms certificate is if you had some record or had no suitable place to store it.

Blind_Io said:

Another way of looking at this is that in England, they have drive-by arguments. :D

janstett said:
nomix said:
Makes alot of sence learning about Europe. And South-America. And Africa. And the rest of the world really. :)

If I must be really frank, I believe it to be horribly arrogant to think "Europe is over there, so it's irrelevant for me", simply because you then ignore one of the most important areas in the world.. :)

Part of the problem is that our public education system has become highly politicized and politically correct. The result of the hippies from the 60's entering positions of power. We now see things like Outcome-Based education where it's impossible to fail a student because that would "make them feel bad". So in other words standards go out the window and feelings become important. In so many ways, the current educators not only shortchange world history, but also do injustice to American history as well in favor of politically correct brainwashing. For example, I've heard that some modern history books reduce the American Civil War to about a paragraph and mention it only in passing. Unthinkable.

It's no wonder American universities are flooded with foreign students.

This is definitely a problem with the lower level schools. My mom was a 4th grade teacher, and recently retired because of a disagreement over the curriculum that was being forced down from the state department of education. It basically made science and history a joke, and over emphasized math and writing (even though personally I think writing and math are important, history is more important).

I must also say that I didn't get the typical high school experience so it may actually be different in the normal classes. I was in a program called International Baccalaureate, which attempted to internationalize the curriculum, by using a set of international standards. Basically as a result of that we spent a whole two school years on 20th century world history, and one year each on regular world history, and US Government. We also were required to take a foreign language, and writing intensive classes. The work prepared me well for the type of work required in college (actually probably better than what I was expected in college).

And actually when I went to college I tried to get as much world history as I could fit into my schedule with my other studies, mostly 20th century history as that was the most interesting to me. So basically the point to this statement was that the opportunities are available for students in the US to learn about the world, it's just a matter of the school systems not forcing the students to learn it.

I'm disappointed in our education system, it really doesn't help students that are interested in fields the US actually needs competent people in. There's so much emphasis on writing and art and not enough on science or mathematics. In my high school I had basically an elective, which was either music or art, and the year after I left, they began offering Computer Science in a pilot program. I have no idea if they are still offering CS as an option, but I wouldn't be surprised if it got cut because it was too hard.

The rest of American life is fine with me, I have health insurance so health care is taken care of. I also enjoy the right to bear arms, and go shooting on a friend of our family's farm whenever I please, without needing permits and government authorization. I have yet to see anything similar to what JC was complaining about, and I chock most of it up to Clarkson being Clarkson. And to those who say they never want to live here or visit, there's so much here to see and experience that you are only depriving yourself.

I don't have the problems with the authorities as JC and the stig did. I highly doubt there was a truck full of soldiers in the mojave, MAYBE a Hummer (3-4 soldiers), but not a whole truck. The Mojave is also a large testing area for many government projects, so it's conceivable that they would have patrols and would question someone with cameras.

Even with all of it's blemishes, I still wouldn't make any other country my home.

^so true, you know apparently theres a percentage of people in florida among other places that don't know mexico is below Texas. and i think it wasd 60% of people in my town San Antonio that dont know what the 4th of July was for(we DO have alot of mexicans tho)

hajj said:
nomix said:
janstett said:
Dark_Templer_102 said:
Dang thats pretty hard!

Offtopic...

Kosovo isn't a seperate country, it's an autonomous province of Serbia.
and tibet is a part of china ... :roll: