The Stig Was Arrested!

Kebab gud said:
what does 101 stand for?

The first "1" stands for the level/grade. In college, it would basically mean a freshman/intro level course.

The rest of the digits are just a number with no real signifigance, unless two classes are corequisites. In that case, they're often right next to each other (Chemistry being 101, and Chemistry Lab being 102 or 101L).

I've had three 101 courses required for my major, Engineering 101 (ethics, and teamwork, basically), English 101 (research writing), and Chemistry 101.

Anyway, I came here to defend my country against an onslaught of... well, nothing really, now that I think about it. Carry on.

The Stig Got ARRESTED!!!

Well, the article said it was by soldiers in the desert. Also, it mentions the Denny's in Palmdale. hum?

Lets see. Why would the military arrest people in the middle of the desert near Palmdale? Could it perhaps have been that the stig could have been filming accidentally on Edwards AFB. You know, the base where Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier, the U-2 spy plane was developed, the B-2 stealth bombers were built, where the Joint Strike Fighter is being tested and developed, and who knows how many other secret and/or sensitive programs. Perhaps JC would like to enlighten us to which sensitive UK military facility wouldn't be alarmed by a space alien looking guy in a sensitive area. :oops:

Would probably get a warning. If they were very serious and "responsible".

I'd ask what was going on and settle for it.

janstett said:
Part of the problem is that our public education system has become highly politicized and politically correct. The result of the hippies from the 60's entering positions of power.

Incorrect.....somewhat It was the 1970s when Blank Slate and Noble Savage extremists began taking over academia. It was in response to the reactionary forces in power at the time. Replace a right extremist with a left extremist and you still have an extremist in power.

We now see things like Outcome-Based education where it's impossible to fail a student because that would "make them feel bad".

No, Bush's NCLB makes it impossible to have true accountability from students and school systems. But, kids fail more than you realize and there is no accountability for the parent(s).

So in other words standards go out the window and feelings become important.

This refrain from Hate Radio is as divorced from reality as Ruch Limbaugh is from his past wives! Bratty ass kids with punk ass parents expect teachers to not only teach but also to raise their kids for them. Teachers spend so much time on discipline that very little (in my professional opinion) gets done. Add the influx of illegal invaders with limited school budgets & we're continuing out downward path.

In so many ways, the current educators not only shortchange world history, but also do injustice to American history as well in favor of politically correct brainwashing.

Bullshit. Where I am, it's mindless bible-thumpers teaching to the test without any critical inquiry whatsoever. This trait is too common in the younger generation thumper or not. You talk as though you've never even been in a school and have seen what goes on. It's laziness and not some nefarious conspiracy.

For example, I've heard that some modern history books reduce the American Civil War to about a paragraph and mention it only in passing. Unthinkable.

You prove my case for me. It's laziness not political correctness.

It's no wonder American universities are flooded with foreign students.

American universities are still crown jewels in the US education system. I love to talk about education, or rather the lack thereof, in the US so I ask you to be more thoughtful in your replies instead of simply repeating mindless hate Radio pablum.

================================================

vanMould said:
Gotta admire Japan. Appearently NO civilans are allowed to carry guns over there. Ever.

Not true....unless you mean handguns. I forgot the law about that. My wife grew up in the countryside in Ehime (Shikoku) and there is boar hunting every year. I hear shots from the granparent's neighbors and I've eaten it before. If I want my shotguns in Japan, I fill out some papwerwork and pay around $250 and I get my guns. I never asked about pistols but the Yakuza have them so should the rest of us! :thumbsup:

I don't know about all this gun law hoohockey, all i kno is i live in Texas and we have at least 4 not including bb and airsoft and so does just about everyone on our street.

Great place, Texas :thumbsup:

Imagine a drama where everybody in your street got very angry on each other. :)

Just a bad joke.

Theyre all old retired military people, a car collector, and a millionaire...I think we'll be ok fine

wooflepoof said:
Theyre all old retired military people, a car collector, and a millionaire...I think we'll be ok fine
Nutters in all groups. :)

Not trying to offend you. :)

Regards, Simon. :)

I asked people in the streets of Vegas to name two European countries. The very first woman I spoke to said: ?Oh yes. What?s that one with kangaroos?

I never know this country is part of Europe

beeetle said:

Only culturally, especially in the 1970s...though still today. Sadly, most Americans are just not intelligent (same could be said for many countires, but I live in this one) as any Jay Walking segment on the Tonight Show will attest. :(

ishigakisensei said:
beeetle said:

Only culturally, especially in the 1970s...though still today. Sadly, most Americans are just not intelligent (same could be said for many countires, but I live in this one) as any Jay Walking segment on the Tonight Show will attest. :(

Most people are stupid. It is not just a US thing.

ishigakisensei said:

"Jaywalking" is designed to highlight the dumbest responses. Also, not all American's are completely ignorant of foreign affairs. To paraphrase Clarkson, most of us are too busy having sexual relations with our cousins to care.

""""""Then you?ve got New Orleans, which, nearly a year after Katrina, is still utterly smashed and ruined. Now I?m sorry but insects can build shelter on their own. Birds can build nests without a state handout. So why are the people of Louisiana sitting around waiting for someone else to do the repairs?""""

It is easy to answer this question if you're an American. Everyone know the people that live there. Most of them are lazy don't want to get a job type of people.

*first post from a long-time lurker*

That article worries me...

1) Clarkson eats at Denny's? :shock: Could he possibly eat at a worse place in the US!? :lol: (and denny's eggs are far better than the hashbrowns!)

2) I have never seen a "Lorry full" of any kind of goverment offical in the US (as f50speed stated, it must have been near Edwards AFB)

3) What were they doing that atracted police attention? Someone walking around in the desert with helmet and white suit isnt a big deal... (perhaps he was mistaken for a downed test pilot from edwards, LOL!)

4) Ya, about 50% of americans know jack about anything other than whats in front of them... But that seems to be pretty much the world-wide standard anyway. The rest of us post on the internet in places like this and already know we have problems :p

Jeremy Clarkson said:
Once, I urged a cop in Pensacola, Florida, to use his common sense and let me load a van in the no loading zone, since the airport was shut and it would make no difference. ?Sir,? he said, ?you don?t need common sense when you?ve got laws.?

I live in Pensacola, and I'm surprised he came here as there really isn't much around. I wish I would've known he was here so I could have met him.

Last edited:
Just to add my point of view on this matter.

I've been to Germany and Poland many times in Europe. To me this thread just seems to be like a lot of 13 - 17 year olds arguing whos home country is "better", because, you know, that's definately quantifiable.

No matter where you go that is not "home", you're going to be introduced to different customs that are not familiar to you. this is why foreign countries, are, well, foreign (who would of thought). Different countries are different. Relax people.

I don't get why the British/EU users of this board feel the need to point out the shortcomings of America, as well as my fellow citizens returning fire with what seem like equal statements about the other.

And for what it's worth, I'm sure Clarkson exagerrated in that article to, you know, have it be an entertaining read. I don't know, just my hunch as a stupid american and all.

Mattsy said:
I've been to Germany and Poland many times in Europe. To me this thread just seems to be like a lot of 13 - 17 year olds arguing whos home country is "better", because, you know, that's definately quantifiable.

As an eighteen year old I can absolutely agree with you. The United States are neither better nor worse than the UK, (though at the moment I'd lean very slightly towards worse) but rather are just different.

I noticed how on the last episode of TG, Clarkson was trying to go on about how free the UK is. Ummmmm, no it's not nearly as free as many Brits would like to believe. The cameras - taking guns and knives are but three examples of a nanny state running amok.

ishigakisensei said:
I noticed how on the last episode of TG, Clarkson was trying to go on about how free the UK is. Ummmmm, no it's not nearly as free as many Brits would like to believe. The cameras - taking guns and knives are but three examples of a nanny state running amok.
Even though I don't like speed cameras I wouldn't class them as removing freedom. The only freedom they are removing is the freedom to break speedlimits but they are so few and far between they are largely ineffective.
The guns and knives situation is again largely exaggerated by the media. Only one type of gun is banned and there are multiple ways around that ban. Again with knives the only type banned are flick knives but that again can be got round quite easily.
There is nothing technically stopping someone walking through the centre of a city carrying a shotgun as long as they are on their way to a gun club.
I personally don't agree that you should be able defend yourself with guns and knives. There is far too much risk of innocent people getting injured, even if the right training is given.