2007 Mercedes-Benz SLR "722 Edition"

nice, but i agree 722Bhp would finish it completely.

Looks more sporty and that ain't bad!

Dins said:
i don't quite understand why they didn't make it 722bhp. wouldn't that make more sense, considering the name the fact that the current power increase isn't really noteworthy...

x 1000 to the power of infinity... When I first read about that car 2 weeks ago, that was my first thought... Come on, its 0,2 secs quicker to 60, a number I don't believe is achieved by power but sports tires or a different gear ratio and then its 4 kmh faster...

:shock: Great looking car, better than the bog standard (if you can call it that) model.

Annoying in that it doesn't have a manual nor does it have 722bhp.

^And yet, a Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 does have 640 HP. It's true that numbers rarely correlate to HP, but in this case having a big red 722 emblazoned on the side of a supercar should mean more than just an appearance package and an inconsequential horsepower increase.

3Colin said:
An SL 500 doesn't have 500 bhp, a Porsche 911 doesn't have 911 bhp, and the old Saab 9000 certainly didn't have 9000 bhp. Stop your whinging.
but its a benz, the 500 in the SL500 stands for 5.0L.

Yes, and the 722 stands for that particular designation the racecar carried. I do agree it's not a perfect name for a special edition, but it's hardly necessary for the number to directly correlate to the power output.

And if it did, wouldn't it cause trouble in countries that use metric measurements of power?

edit: Also, for new Merc *500s in Europe and Asia it's a 5.5L engine. Merc has always been bad at meaningful model numbers.

Everyones treating this car as if its a "BRAND NEW" SLR. Well its not. The car was only released in 2003 and this is merely a half-life update of it. You can't seriously be expecting MB and McLaren to be popping a brand new engine in there do you?

The power increase in the next-gen SLR won't have any of you guys complaining, I'm sure :) For now, enjoy this mild update.

I just noticed that they have moved the McLaren badge to the back of the car. I did wonder what they had done with the McLaren badge they took off the side to put the "722" on. I presumed McLaren would be pissed off if they removed their name badge from it altogether.

Mercedes-Benz%20SLR%20722%20Edition%20Mercedes-Benz%20SLR%20McLaren_5.jpg

Another vote against the auto transmission here. Someone once told me that MB doesn't do manuals for cars anymore cos it's supposed to leave the driver more bandwidth to "drive the car", instead of worrying about the transmission.

Dunno... Still something about a traditional stick and clutch pedal that does it for me.

My opinion of this car? In short; ugly, vulgar, that nearly the car it could've been, and 24 bhp upgrade? Seriously, it has to be possible to do better than that. A lot better.