Where are all the Diesels?

AutoMX said:
the big reason diesel isnt being pushed here is the shithole state i'm in (california's emission / smog laws). the new diesels emit other kinds of pollutants than what the tests allow, so they automatically fail and things like the Jetta diesel are not allowed here in california.

so as auto makers see it: if the 33 million + people in california cant buy diesels, why invest in a limited market? hybrids are popular now because of the "celebrity" status here, and the low quality fuel isnt going to help...

well they fail the emission test cuz the diesel in USA is #pathetic?
get good euro diesel i think it should pass
:|

No they dont. They still pollute too much nitrogen monoxide and dioxide. Only Mercedes new filter technology will help

Oh I forgot, US goverment puts a higher tax on Diesel. If Honda can sell us a gas engine that gets 38mpg, you'd have to get minimum of 45 to make up for the extra cost of diesel fuel, not including the extra cost of the option to buy a diesel engine.

Oh and as long as California makes it a PITA for diesel to be a viable fuel in the US, it'll be a hard sell. The biggest market for cars in the US are in California.

jetsetter said:
AutoMX said:
the big reason diesel isnt being pushed here is the shithole state i'm in (california's emission / smog laws). the new diesels emit other kinds of pollutants than what the tests allow, so they automatically fail and things like the Jetta diesel are not allowed here in california.

so as auto makers see it: if the 33 million + people in california cant buy diesels, why invest in a limited market? hybrids are popular now because of the "celebrity" status here, and the low quality fuel isnt going to help...

I wouldn't call California a "shithole". And by the way, California's model for emission control is spreading to many other states. Nothing wrong with that really.
Except it makes it a total PITA if you want to modify your car at all.

Raven18940 said:
jetsetter said:
AutoMX said:

I wouldn't call California a "shithole". And by the way, California's model for emission control is spreading to many other states. Nothing wrong with that really.

Bah, there are plenty of modifications you can make that are smog legal. But I still prefer pre 1976/77 autos. Don't have to worry about smog. Got to love the rolling 30 year exemption.

Raven18940 said:
jetsetter said:
AutoMX said:

California is full of freakin' nazi's. It's amazing really, how much California's love their cars, and how so many seem to hate them. Other than the weather, I'm glad I got the hell out of Southern California.

the shithole is the smog laws, i wouldnt be here if the whole place was one :lol:

the laws dont work like they should. yes, they prevent some cars from polluting but there's still so many ways to bypass or cheat. let me give you one example why i hate the system:

my MR2 will eventually need a new engine, being i passed 219000 miles, so i went online and read about the 20 valve 4AGE engines, basically the same 4AGE as in the MR2, but with some newer technology. higher rev range, VVTi, 38mpg, 165hp. $500 to $750. cool!

...but wait, what about smog? well it turns out the engine passes smog better than the stock MR2 engine, being that its 10 years newer with harsher japanese emission laws. nice.
so, happy end? no. because the engine cover is black and LOOKS different from the original MR2 one, the engine automatically FAILS and is therefore illegal in california, in any car.

so there you go, you got an engine that looks different? sorry mr. smog technician can't recognize it because it's japanese market and not US, and you fail.
gay.

It's like the Diesel situation in Australia. IIRC we are finally getting the good Diesel that Europe gets, but we are paying as much, if not more than we do for regular petrol.

There is also the issue of availability. At petrol stations, the Diesel pumps are always hidden somewhere around the back (mainly for truck access) in an unlit area. They also don't supply gloves or anything like that so when you fill up, you get crap everywhere.

I've noticed that a few petrol stations are trying to change this though.

yeah but your regulations are real crap. you limit stuff, that is not limited elsewhere, so the car makers can?t fulfill the EU regulations when they try to fulfill yours, and as we are the bigger diesel market, you don?t get the diesel cars. easy thing :)

I mean, we have diesels that don?t smoke any more, but we can?t bring them to you, because your limits are so strange....it?s totally hypocrite to limit the cars, but have those gas eating v8s on the roads.....and don?t sign kyoto.

but wait, what about smog? well it turns out the engine passes smog better than the stock MR2 engine, being that its 10 years newer with harsher japanese emission laws. nice.
so, happy end? no. because the engine cover is black and LOOKS different from the original MR2 one, the engine automatically FAILS and is therefore illegal in california, in any car.

Find a nice technician and they may help you out.

D-Fence said:
it?s totally hypocrite to limit the cars, but have those gas eating v8s on the roads.....and don?t sign kyoto.
This is the USA, where rednecks have TV shows (overhaulin) to rebuild shitty old cars, and think you need 500HP to reach 99mph. You do, when you drive a fucking brick.

Imagine a little 4cyl turbo passat can outrun a cop at 150. Dickhead US automakers, hope they burn.

no luck cuz i'm screwed if i get pulled over, or if they ask for a bill of sale (with the engine's VIN #), or if i get unlucky with my "friend".

besides, what am i gonna do? do an engine swap then drive around till i find a "friendly" smog tech? :unsure:

AutoMX said:

limited market?

uh, the rest of the US has 270 million people... :roll:

i thought driving a diesel was as uncool as driving a mini-van
aka :yucky:
imo driving a 350Z without cats and a sport exhaust would be :thumbsup:

Magnet said:
It's like the Diesel situation in Australia. IIRC we are finally getting the good Diesel that Europe gets, but we are paying as much, if not more than we do for regular petrol.

There is also the issue of availability. At petrol stations, the Diesel pumps are always hidden somewhere around the back (mainly for truck access) in an unlit area. They also don't supply gloves or anything like that so when you fill up, you get crap everywhere.

I've noticed that a few petrol stations are trying to change this though.
Err gloves. I have never seen anyone wearing gloves to fill up a car. I'm not sure most garages even have them.
Diesel costs more over here compared to petrol but the increased MPG and higher resale values far outweigh the premium you pay to start with.

Izari said:
i thought driving a diesel was as uncool as driving a mini-van
aka :yucky:
imo driving a 350Z without cats and a sport exhaust would be :thumbsup:

in my opinion, the greatness of a diesel is bio-diesel. running my car on filtered trap grease that i get for free from local pubs is quite nice.

First problem was not good diesel of the USA, but now automakers cant meet new emission laws. For example VW is dropping some diesel models.

There will be more diesels showing up shortly.

The entire US is just getting ready to implement new diesel fuel standards (low sulfer) and along with some of the worlds most stringent diesel emission regulations for passenger vehicles..

VW isn't selling a diesel in the US for 2007 as their engines won't meet emissions regs.. early 2008 model years will have a newly redesigned CRD vw diesel. as well DCX isn't selling the liberty with a diesel in 2007 as their engine (believe it's a VM diesel) won't meet regs either.

As soon as the regs are established and the new fuel in place, look for many new diesels in the US. DCX (chrysler/mercedes/dodge) is going to be putting diesels in a huge amount of vehicles, as well as pushing more E85 engines.

Unfortunately, right now, diesel is often more expensive than gas and it doesn't make sense to pay a premium for a diesel engine that gets more MPG, as it takes YEARS to make up the difference in costs compared to the cheaper gas engine.

AutoMX said:
the shithole is the smog laws, i wouldnt be here if the whole place was one :lol:

the laws dont work like they should. yes, they prevent some cars from polluting but there's still so many ways to bypass or cheat. let me give you one example why i hate the system:

my MR2 will eventually need a new engine, being i passed 219000 miles, so i went online and read about the 20 valve 4AGE engines, basically the same 4AGE as in the MR2, but with some newer technology. higher rev range, VVTi, 38mpg, 165hp. $500 to $750. cool!

...but wait, what about smog? well it turns out the engine passes smog better than the stock MR2 engine, being that its 10 years newer with harsher japanese emission laws. nice.

so there you go, you got an engine that looks different? sorry mr. smog technician can't recognize it because it's japanese market and not US, and you fail.
gay.

The Short and simple is, California doesn't want you modifying the smog equipment on the car, even if it'll do better for the environment. Pretty sad really.