[08x06] July 16th, 2006

PieceOfTat said:
awdrifter said:
Good episode. But the fire is definitely a set up, the tent that got burned was purposely put there. There's no way the fire crew show up so quickly if it's not planned. But I don't care, this is much better than Fifth Gear, I enjoyed it. The Mondeo, MSP6 and Astra review was cool. But I thought the MSP6 has 280hp? Is the EUDM version different? And what engine does the Astra have? (Small block V8 ? :p) I don't know how hard it is to drive the MSP6, but I drove my friend's MazdaSpeed Protege (USDM) before, the clutch is not much heavier than my Talon's clutch, the suspension is firm but not to harsh, so I don't think the MSP6 would be that much worse.
Being on the road to the campsite was the only non-staged part of the whole caravanning thing.

A rather dull episode. I hope topgear can find it's roots again, cause the last few episodes felt rushed and TOO staged. With every ep I watch, my interest in the series keeps getting smaller.

With the lcurrent season I wait till the episode ends and feel let down, whereas I didnt want the old ones to end at all.

The whole F1 thing, I mean come on.......... They better tie the knots and dot the i's for the next series..... This is a rushjob.

I agree, this season has been disappointing.
Koenigsegg was the best thing so far.

Bring on the Ferrari 599 & a hot lap in the Veyron.

To be precise twin turbo, with variable valve timing, it could probably produce as much as 350-400 bhp without any fuss, if only the front wheels could cope with it. Remember the RB26DETT ? :thumbsup:

Buba said:
Made a profile shot of the cop, looks very similar, but I really think its a different one...

They look EXACTLY the same to me. The Devon cop is squinting his eyes and isn't looking down. Imagine him relaxing his face and looking down, same guy. The ears, nose, chin, hair line are all the same. Don't forget body type is the same. I'm not surprised, though.

Episode was okay, not great. Some funny parts, but I feel Top Gear is straying away from what they used to be. The F1 part was way too short. They should've taken the car on their test track to see how it would do against the '04 Renault.

Are you lot all blind. :lol:
They have a slight resemblance but they are completely different. The body shape is roughly the same but thats it. Hair colour, face shape size of ears etc. Its all different.

His Holiness said:
Fantastic episode. I don't think I stopped laughing during the show.

F1-Toyota was rather pointless, but fun to find out that it only did 81 mph.
Caravaning-bit was fantastic! :lol:

So like the comparison shots for the two cops, who wants to compare Stigs. There's no way the Stig shown walking in for the F1 piece was the usual Stig ? unless he ate all the pies while the World Cup was on. Piggy Stiggy!

:lol:

rjvracing said:
Skyliner34 said:
Hey, which EP did they chain them selves to a bus?. Never seen that one :).

pretty sure it was in the news of 06x01
Yeah, that's the ep. That part was great!

"We want a range rover! When do we want it? As soon as we can arrange easy finace!"

I guess you guys are right about the fire, I was thinking someone would have been inside it or something.

Oh well.

Great ep. I could of done without the F1 segment and, as always, the interview. They need to stop with the guest stuff.

Nah, I don't think they made it flammable, but I bet the neighbor caravan was setup before so they could a) crash into it and b) burn it down. Why? Easy: the other campers in the background are just standing around laughing and watching, not attempting to help.

Top Gear

Top Gear

I liked the episode especially the caravan holiday segment, but the thing that ruins it for me is Jeremy Clarkson's anti-american comments. I wish he could keep his mouth shut about how Europeans are the greatest everything and just focus on cars.

I liked the episode especially the caravan holiday segment, but the thing that ruins it for me is Jeremy Clarkson's anti-american comments. I wish he could keep his mouth shut about how Europeans are the greatest everything and just focus on cars.

Funny, I always enjoy that stuff. Of course, I'm not American, so... :D

Overall, it was an "OK" episode - I've seen better. I think it was the lack of super-exotics that I've become used to in previous episodes.

Agreed aboot anti-american comments. He says American cars are junk yet always seems to praise specific american cars. He seems to do it with every car company. One day BMW sucks and all the cars are bland, and the one day he's hyping one up.

The camper thing i didn't think about. It seemed a little weird to ahve so much bad stuff happen at once. You're right about nobody coming to help. And what about when the camper just sort of "exploded" (ballooned out) in one scene.. and in the next one they're inside it trying to put the fire out.

As far as the firetrucks getting there too quickly to be real.. that's completely crap. It's not like they show us EVERY minute that is filmed.. they definitely splice up footage hardcore. So 10 minutes of burning camper could easily turn into 2 minutes of burning camper and then firetruck

TG really does seem crappier now that they've announced it's "better". Oh well, I still enjoy it. Miles ahead of Fifth Gear. I can't stand that show

Top Gear

Top Gear

MasterEvilAce said:
He says American cars are junk yet always seems to praise specific american cars.

Which American cars does he like? The only one I can remember is the Ford GT, which later he called the most unreliable car ever built.

The clutch is so heavy and grabs. You either stall... or you stall.
Sounds sports-car like to me. Maybe you need to learn how to drive! :p

The pedal travel is soooooo looooong it's annoying to predict when it's gonna grab, I think it's a problem with all VAG cars that time.
I know what you mean - a Jetta is the same way. The clutch grabs right at end after taking your foot off about 5 inches and is very unpredicitable. Makes it real easy, but you're never going to have a good start off the line with that thing. You simply need a heavier clutch requiring more skill to use when you have more power in a car.

Memo to Opel / Vauxhall - power is not the answer...
Is that car FWD?

A rather dull episode. I hope topgear can find it's roots again, cause the last few episodes felt rushed and TOO staged. With every ep I watch, my interest in the series keeps getting smaller.
I think I agree with you. They're focusing a little too much on messing about. A bit here and there makes it good and entertaining, but they need to focus first on cars and second on making things funny.

I agree, this season has been disappointing.
Koenigsegg was the best thing so far.

Bring on the Ferrari 599 & a hot lap in the Veyron.
Yup. Give us more of that cave-man stuff!

I guess you guys are right about the fire, I was thinking someone would have been inside it or something.

Oh well.
Ouch...that's kinda dark, don't you think? :shock:

The only one I can remember is the Ford GT, which later he called the most unreliable car ever built.
Well, he would know :D

i think the caravan story was a bit too scripted...

the best bit was clearly when james hit the post, because it was obviously not in the script.

Yah I think they should cut down on the challenges and start reviewing more super cars. I don't mind that the challenges are abit fake (what show isn't scripted these days) but top gear should be about the cars. Whats the deal with you guys taking the american bashing so serious. Its not like he doesn't praise some american cars. He bashes some euro cars as well.

The Stig

The Stig

Has anybody noticed you can see the STIG unmasked at the back of the Excel Centre, when they are finding out how fast the Toyota F1 Car will go indoors. Approx 42 mins into the programme, just after they flash up the computer screen showing the telemetry, the camera pans round and at the back talking to one of the engineers, is a man in white racing overalls and there is a white helmet with a black visor on the bench next to him.

Can't work out the face. :thumbsup:

ComeToDaddy said:
Remember the RB26DETT ? :thumbsup:
what an engine. <3

Amanaman said:
Did anyone else find the regurgitateed "Jesus is here" joke nowhere near as funny as the first time in series 4?
i did. the "what ar... eh, sorry jesus !" bit put a smile on my face tho.
hated today's news alltogether, commented on this on the first page.
sooo scripted and wannabe comedy show :( pity. hope topgear gets back to basics next season.