[09x13] July 24th, 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

SL65

Ambitious but rubbish!
Car(s)
1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5L
We roll to a stop at the final episode of this mammoth Fifth Gear series!

Jason takes his life in his hands this week as he swaps disciplines ? and reaches speeds well in excess of what he usually manages on four wheels. First Jason instructs Will Curtis, one of the country?s leading aerobatic aces and one of the few people licensed to fly at 50 feet? upside down! He teaches Will how to do a 360-degree spin in a Lotus Exige, and once mastered, it?s Jason?s turn to try and learn the aerobatic equivalent ? ?the drunken man?. It?s the most dangerous manoeuvre in aerobatics, with the plane spinning in all directions while tumbling from 5,000 feet. Jason has to start the spin and regain control before hitting the ground ? it?s a spectacular feature with an incredibly dramatic climax.

Meanwhile, Tiff tests the McLaren F1 and Enzo Ferrari. They?re the two supercars he?s enjoyed most over the past decade, and now for the first time he?s brought them together to try and choose a favourite. In a unique test, he takes these ultra-rare supercars, worth in excess of ?2million, to the public roads. We even see them at a petrol station ? how does ?100 to fill the tank sound?

And Tom tests the long-distance cruising abilities of the new ?170,000 Ferrari 599, driving it for 1000 miles across the Alps in just 24 hours.

Elsewhere, Vicki tests the limited edition BMW 320Si.

And Jon Bentley investigates a brand-new safety device for motorcyclists ? the airbag jacket. With the help of a motorbike stunt team, Jon conducts some real-life crash tests. Will the jackets save the riders as they fall off in a high-speed accident?

F1 vs. Enzo + Tiff sounds excellent of course.
599 drive with Tom should be good.
Bike safety will be interesting as well.
Vicki in a limited run 3-series sounds far from exciting

Looks like a great episode - I'm even looking forward to Jason's story for once.

So when does the Triumph Daytona 675 against Noble race happen?
It was in the season preview at least.

Air Jacket for bikers "brand new"?!? Dainese has been selling those for years!!!!

M3lover said:
Tiff will like the Mclaren best. Everytime he tests a supercar he comes back to, that the F1 is the best

So true! I hope this one ends up being a good episode. it looks to be

If this episode turns out to be as good on the screen as it is on paper, then I'm speechless!

FerrariEnzo said:
If this episode turns out to be as good on the screen as it is on paper, then I'm speechless!
Last episode sounded good on paper but it turned out to be a bit off a let down for me. Can still hope though!

^do not think so.......i think Jason was one of the test drivers for the veyron... got some connections?

Well actually Thanatos is correct ;) Tiff lied to us after the last season of FG finished when he said:

Amurphee (Dec 5, 2005 1:19:08 PM)
Hi tiff! So when will you be getting your hands on the bugatti veyron ???

tiff (Dec 5, 2005 1:19:08 PM)
In time for the Spring series!

Maybe we can expect it in the next series :dunno:

I'm really looking forward to this episode. I've only caught a few of the recent 5th Gear eps. The last one was the Williams FW26 vs. E60 M5 and now I'll tune in for the F1!

Btw, the F1 is a 1996 F1 GTR that was converted to road use (like Nick Mason's 10R). This chassis Tiff will drive is 16R. It used to be under the Fina livery and raced at LeMans, but it was resprayed in Papaya Orange and converted to full road use.

trionic said:
Mclaren F1 again!? :bangin:

Sales ended some 10 years ago! Its time to let go Tiff, honestly :unsure:

lol :lol: :lol: if you look in the preview he has ear muffs on 8)

I'm confused, everything said(both in last episode aswell as fifthgear website)about this new episode says McLaren F1.

Yet every visual thing I have seen says McLaren F1 LM(the wing and the papaya orange colour) and there a major difference. The LM is much more hardcore(the wing, reduced gearratios, reduced weight and bhp increase)
And allthough the F1 is old, if it is an LM it probably is its televion debute.

The car on the London motorshow also was orange and had the wing, yet only 627bhp was claimed(and LM has 680 bhp).

My guess is this car has been made to look like an LM(of which only 5 were ever made), and tiff drives the same one as was present on the motorshow.

Let's wait and see.

Rapier said:
I'm confused, everything said(both in last episode aswell as fifthgear website)about this new episode says McLaren F1.

Yet every visual thing I have seen says McLaren F1 LM(the wing and the papaya orange colour) and there a major difference. The LM is much more hardcore(the wing, reduced gearratios, reduced weight and bhp increase)
And allthough the F1 is old, if it is an LM it probably is its televion debute.

The car on the London motorshow also was orange and had the wing, yet only 627bhp was claimed(and LM has 680 bhp).

My guess is this car has been made to look like an LM(of which only 5 were ever made), and tiff drives the same one as was present on the motorshow.

Let's wait and see.

As I stated earlier, it's a GTR. 16R to be precise and it had the LM-look conversion done (there are at least 4 GTRs that have gone though this change, too). It's not a real LM, just a GTR converted to road use painted in Papaya.

Here are some pictures:

http://img360.imageshack.**/img360/2918/16rtlo7.jpg
http://img106.imageshack.**/img106/1593/16rure6.jpg

The Enzo and F1 GTR belong to the same guy. This is what the GTR looked like when it raced at LeMans: http://img427.imageshack.**/img427/7626/16revp3.jpg

Edit: The F1 at the London show was an F1 LM. Specifically the prototype owned by McLaren, XP1LM. It's the first LM really. Tiff will not drive XP1LM. It's already been confirmed by a friend of 16R's owner that he let his Enzo and F1 be used for 5th Gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.