Fastest Cars of 2006...but not really

youngwarrior said:
Maybe europeans drive teh cars more respectfully when testing?

I can answer that one real easily. Notice how JC always says how with lambo's you have to be soft with the clutch so you don't fry it on launch? Any american watching the show would be going "wtf are you doing? It's AWD, take it to 6k and drop the hammer!"

That destroys lots of parts. But if it's built right, like it should be, it won't be a problem. The euro's always bitch about how hard the tranny's are in the vette or vipers, well they have to be because if you watch an American when he's drag racing, they shift quite hard. There's actually a problem with the Lotus Elise and the shifters breaking because of over zealous owners.

Mr.K said:
As far as the Z06 goes, its fast, and I've seen magazines that have gotten it down to a 3.6 second 0-60, rather then the stated 3.7.

My latest mag said it was 3.4.

That mag also said it was the fastest around a track against a F430 and a 911 Turbo. In fact it beat the Ferrari by 4 secs, and the Turbo by 3.

Also for Bang for Buck you cannot really do much better, sure the Atom is better until it reaches 170 but you cannot also get dealership support and service would be a massive pain, although I still want one.

The RS4 is nowhere near close to the ZO6, when they compare a RS4 they do it against GM's Cadillac CTS-V which is last gen vette engine.

It also helps that the Corvette Racing team worked on the C6, that is why the headlamps are exposed.

(Im not american either, but I do see value and the pure greatness of their latest cars.)

thedguy said:
youngwarrior said:
amaerican car magazines manage that with every car, and the real life owner will never be able to replicate those times. And the R8 is going to undercut the 911 carrera S in entry level guise.

And last i heard the astom martin DBR9's were quite a bit faster than the C6R's. The only place the Vettes have been winning is on home soil. The C6R is one of the few american cars that has competed on a world stage.

Didn't they mention on the news segment on last season of top gear that the DBR9 got beat at le mans...by the vette?

Audi's domination of Rally ended in 84, if I recall Puegot came in and handed them their ass, then Lancia had the Delta S4 which didn't get enough time to flex.

As far as the tests go on Magazines...

If you use the basis of the driving talent of the driver rather than the capabilities of the car (which are what magazines are trying to show you), then the Porsche's and Ferrari's would be complete shit compared to the vette, as those who can afford them probably barely remember how to drive stick.

When I look at a magazine, and they show me a car, I want to see what the car is capable of, even if I can't do it. If they put a guy who just learned to drive in it, and he runs a 5 second 0-60, even though it's capable of a 3.5, thats not showing me what the car can do.

I may not ever be able to launch a vette into the 3.7 or even 4 second 0-60, but I know if I'm ever own one, and i'm at the track trying it, that if I'm only hitting 4.1, that there's still room to improve my driving, and not solve it by throwing more tire or power at it. Same goes for around the track, if some how I get the balls to go for a 7:50 and all I can muster is an 8:10, I know it's me, not the car. It also might give me a (false) sense of security that there's room left to drive the car faster.

These are the points you always seem to miss. The euro magazines sound to me like they like leaving in as many variables as possible (very unscientific), where as the American ones like to remove all variable possible, such as clearing the track, and getting a driver thats consistant and fast.

Audi quit the world rally stage undefeated. Those audi's most were privateer.

DBR9's were beaten on reliability, but they were alot faster.

American publications give what the readers wants. Big numbers (or low ones in this case) whilst european mags go with the result on the day.

thedguy said:
youngwarrior said:
Maybe europeans drive teh cars more respectfully when testing?

I can answer that one real easily. Notice how JC always says how with lambo's you have to be soft with the clutch so you don't fry it on launch? Any american watching the show would be going "wtf are you doing? It's AWD, take it to 6k and drop the hammer!"

That destroys lots of parts. But if it's built right, like it should be, it won't be a problem. The euro's always bitch about how hard the tranny's are in the vette or vipers, well they have to be because if you watch an American when he's drag racing, they shift quite hard. There's actually a problem with the Lotus Elise and the shifters breaking because of over zealous owners.

fair enough

NAIDANAC A said:
Mr.K said:
As far as the Z06 goes, its fast, and I've seen magazines that have gotten it down to a 3.6 second 0-60, rather then the stated 3.7.

My latest mag said it was 3.4.

That mag also said it was the fastest around a track against a F430 and a 911 Turbo. In fact it beat the Ferrari by 4 secs, and the Turbo by 3.

What magazine? Its not that I don't believe you, I just want to look it up 8)

I just checked Car & Driver quick to get some times so I know what I'm talking about. I remember the C5 Z06 getting better then rated times as well, so I'm not suprised.

youngwarrior said:
thedguy said:
youngwarrior said:
amaerican car magazines manage that with every car, and the real life owner will never be able to replicate those times. And the R8 is going to undercut the 911 carrera S in entry level guise.

And last i heard the astom martin DBR9's were quite a bit faster than the C6R's. The only place the Vettes have been winning is on home soil. The C6R is one of the few american cars that has competed on a world stage.

Didn't they mention on the news segment on last season of top gear that the DBR9 got beat at le mans...by the vette?

Audi's domination of Rally ended in 84, if I recall Puegot came in and handed them their ass, then Lancia had the Delta S4 which didn't get enough time to flex.

As far as the tests go on Magazines...

If you use the basis of the driving talent of the driver rather than the capabilities of the car (which are what magazines are trying to show you), then the Porsche's and Ferrari's would be complete shit compared to the vette, as those who can afford them probably barely remember how to drive stick.

When I look at a magazine, and they show me a car, I want to see what the car is capable of, even if I can't do it. If they put a guy who just learned to drive in it, and he runs a 5 second 0-60, even though it's capable of a 3.5, thats not showing me what the car can do.

I may not ever be able to launch a vette into the 3.7 or even 4 second 0-60, but I know if I'm ever own one, and i'm at the track trying it, that if I'm only hitting 4.1, that there's still room to improve my driving, and not solve it by throwing more tire or power at it. Same goes for around the track, if some how I get the balls to go for a 7:50 and all I can muster is an 8:10, I know it's me, not the car. It also might give me a (false) sense of security that there's room left to drive the car faster.

These are the points you always seem to miss. The euro magazines sound to me like they like leaving in as many variables as possible (very unscientific), where as the American ones like to remove all variable possible, such as clearing the track, and getting a driver thats consistant and fast.

Audi quit the world rally stage undefeated. Those audi's most were privateer.

DBR9's were beaten on reliability, but they were alot faster.

American publications give what the readers wants. Big numbers (or low ones in this case) whilst european mags go with the result on the day.
thats nonsense, respectable American automotive mags dont give americans what they want. Look at C/D, in their comparos its almost always the Japanese or the Germans that win. Gm/Ford/Chrysler is usually dead last or near dead last.

The latest Car and Driver... i was wrong about the 3.4, it was 3.5.

bartboy9891 said:
thats nonsense, respectable American automotive mags dont give americans what they want. Look at C/D, in their comparos its almost always the Japanese or the Germans that win. Gm/Ford/Chrysler is usually dead last or near dead last.

Hes right because the Vette still came in last for this comparision.

Yeah I read that comparison. It came last because of the crap ride, interior and because it didnbt have as good as a feel as the other cars

youngwarrior said:
Yeah I read that comparison. It came last because of the crap ride, interior and because it didnbt have as good as a feel as the other cars

Yep but they also mentioned it doesn't cost over 100K

And I quote "You could agrue that the porsche is the more complete car or that the Corvette should win because of its enormous value for the dollar, but- bank account willing- this is the car we would take out of this trio."

bartboy9891 said:

You should have seen the comparo between the Z06, F430 and Porsche 997 Turbo.

The Z06 destroyed both cars in any performance benchmark, but took 3rd. Oh wait, it lost the top gear 50-70 acceleration. The 997 was a great car for daily driving that was quite fun at the track and took 2nd. And Ferrari took 1st, basically because it had the prancing horse.

edit: damn this thread moves fast

edit 2: fixed Ferrari's place.

thedguy said:
bartboy9891 said:

You should have seen the comparo between the Z06, F430 and Porsche 997 Turbo.

The Z06 destroyed both cars in any performance benchmark, but took 3rd. Oh wait, it lost the top gear 50-70 acceleration. The 997 was a great car for daily driving that was quite fun at the track and took 2nd. And Ferrari took 3rd, basically because it had the prancing horse.

edit: damn this thread moves fast

Ugh 2 cars took third...LOL and that is the comparison I am talking about.

skaternick: :clap:

Jesus, when did this turn into yet ANOTHER discussion? :wall:
TDC said:
I still dont see how they got away with nicking the f360's headlamps with the Z06.

story15054-picture21422-L.jpg
ferrariforsale.jpg

As Jeremy would say "just work harder, and buy the real thing".

I'm just forever dissapointed every time I see one that it looks like a fake Ferrari, and there is a fat old guy driving it and will never use 1/10th of what it could do.
Load of shit. What, they have three headlights in one housing, so all of a sudden the Z06 becomes a "fake Ferrari"? I suppose all Ferrari owners take their cars to a track day as opposed to cruising the strip impressing rich hookers?

If anything, the Z06's headlamps bear a disturbing reference to the Viper. I wasn't a big fan of them either, but those air brakes were due for a permanent vacation.

Lastly, "ZOMG DA ROUF FEL OFF LOL" so that means the Z06 is horribly unreliable! Every time the Z06 comes up, the haters are quick to deride it for a crap interior and millisecond-slower lap times at the 'Ring. We've heard this over and over again (thanks for nothing, youngwarrior). Mostly from people who aren't willing to admit that GM, hell, a mere Chevrolet! can actually frighten the aristocratic Ferrari's and Porsches.

Now that it's gotten your attention, give it a rest.

TDC said:
As Jeremy would say "just work harder, and buy the real thing".

Seriously. Who would buy an imitation Corvette with such a pathetically small V8 anyways. :lol:

Blaro I can show you a company thats run by 10 men taht will crap all over the Z06 for less money. Whats your point? :bangin:

youngwarrior said:
pushrod pushrod :lol:

It works.

youngwarrior said:
Blaro I can show you a company thats run by 10 men taht will crap all over the Z06 for less money. Whats your point? :bangin:

Lets see this, and see if it can even be used as a daily driver. (I know there have been comments on the Z06's ride and such, but its tolerable)

Some of those numbers are incorrect. The 911 has been clocked at 4.0 with the overboost on by evo magazine just this month. Car came up with similar figures too. Also, the 430 spider is NOT faster than the coupe. The coupe has been quoted with numbers between 3.4 and 3.9, about the same as the correct Z06 numbers.