Want to buy a weekend runabout, and im torn.

Want to buy a weekend runabout, and im torn.

• Mazda Miata.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pontiac Solstice / Saturn Sky.

• Mini Cooper S.

• Total voters
The Trueno/Levin is sadly overpriced due to the Initial D craze therefore it will be the most expensive for what you get. If you want a RWD Toyota make it the Supra, MR2 or the old Celicas since they're a lot more cheaper. If you want to stick out but look unimposing just to smash ricer Civics and Accords buy a 1985-1992 Toyota Cressida! :mrgreen: I'd choose the Miata out of your choices I've driven the baby Mazda the Protege and it was one of the easiest cars I drove.

SKY...they r FUN. Also the dealerships are really helpful and nice, well the one I went to was.

Just look at your signature man...

Lotus Elise :love: Pre-2000 s1 with k-series engine.. I WANT that thing. RHD, LHD, whatever.. Of course you're in USA, so I don't know if you can get one...

MXM said:
Just look at your signature man...

Lotus Elise :love: Pre-2000 s1 with k-series engine.. I WANT that thing. RHD, LHD, whatever.. Of course you're in USA, so I don't know if you can get one...

I would LOVE love love to have a Lotus Elise, but they are $40,000 USD! :shock: The only Elise availble for legal driving is the 2004 up with the Toyota 2ZZ-GTE engine If my wife wasnt paying down a massive student loan I would buy one in a second, and she would help pay for it...she loves the Elise. So maybe in 12 years I'll get an Elise. :lol:

I think I am leaning now towards either a Miata or a Toyota MRS, which I completely forgot about! My plan with the Miata?

For the engine, lightweight pistons and rods. Lightweight flywheel. Improved breathing, but not forced induction. I want it to rev quickly.

For the suspension, fully adjustable coilovers. Lightweight 15" wheels.

And to the rest of the body, Every place I can reduce weight, it is going to happen. I am going the Lotus route.

I love Miata's. I have owned 2 different 99' models. The one I have now, I have 150,000 miles on it with original clutch. I have only replaced the alternator, water pump and timing belt on it.

Don't get one with leather seats, they are hotter in the summer and colder in the winter. Plus they have very little bolstering to keep you in the seat. And don't bother with a Mazdaspeed miata, you will pay a near $8000 premium for it in the used marketplace, and for a third of that you can get a much nice supercharge kit.

And frankly, any time you are under 6000rpm in an s2000 it will be slower than a Miata. Then there is the price. While a new s2000 is competitive with a Miata, ie slightly more expensive for a slightly faster car. However, good for a new s2000 and bad for a used s2000 is that they DON'T depreciate quickly in price. So while new the difference is $32000 and $25000, used it is $20000 and $10000. Great if you are buying a new car you plan to sell later, but awful if you are buying used.

Martin

PS the factory 15" wheels are already very light, but don't bother with 16" rims because with the super-stiff sidewalls you get less traction.

I would LOVE love love to have a Lotus Elise, but they are $40,000 USD!

You can get used ones for low 30s now. Demand for the elise is actually quite low right now. However, what you have to remember about an elise is maintance is not cheap and comes up quite often. Heres a typical cost of expensives to run an elise.

Things that should be done right when you get the car - Alignment and Tranny Fluid Change - $150 Alignment, $200 Tranny Fluid Change

1k maintance - $350
4k Tires (sport pack only) Advan A048 - About $1000 w/ mounting and balancing
7.5k maintance - $500
12k Tires (non sport pack) Advan AD07 - About $1000 w/ mounting and Balancing
15k maintance - $800
15K brake pads - Pagid RS-42 $450
Now this just cycles except the 1k maintance isn't there.

You also have to factor in insurance, gas (if your not currently using 91 it makes a difference assuming you have a car and not an SUV), Track Days, Autox, and all those goodies that you just must have from Sector111

If your lookin for a fun car, you can get spec miatas for very cheap and just about all of the work is done for you.

NAIDANAC A said:
SKY...they r FUN. Also the dealerships are really helpful and nice, well the one I went to was.

I sat in one the other day, and normally I'm not one to complain about the quality of the plastics but...

The sky's interior was shit. The layout was nice, and the seats are nice, but the door panels are extremely uncomfortable. If I set my arm on the door or the center console, my skin would get irritated. The plastic is that really really hard shit like on a Childrens slide (the ones sold at walmart), and it feels like a basket ball (made of hard shit plastic).

It completely ruined the car for me, and I honestly feel gutting the interior and putting on a momo steering wheel, a decent leather shift knob, and some recaro's would be an improvement, even if it had no carpets or dash/center console.

On a side note: There's a damn miata sitting in my garage, and needs a transmission, I can't wait to drive it.

martineb72 said:
I love Miata's. I have owned 2 different 99' models. The one I have now, I have 150,000 miles on it with original clutch. I have only replaced the alternator, water pump and timing belt on it.

Don't get one with leather seats, they are hotter in the summer and colder in the winter. Plus they have very little bolstering to keep you in the seat. And don't bother with a Mazdaspeed miata, you will pay a near $8000 premium for it in the used marketplace, and for a third of that you can get a much nice supercharge kit.

And frankly, any time you are under 6000rpm in an s2000 it will be slower than a Miata. Then there is the price. While a new s2000 is competitive with a Miata, ie slightly more expensive for a slightly faster car. However, good for a new s2000 and bad for a used s2000 is that they DON'T depreciate quickly in price. So while new the difference is $32000 and $25000, used it is $20000 and $10000. Great if you are buying a new car you plan to sell later, but awful if you are buying used.

Martin

PS the factory 15" wheels are already very light, but don't bother with 16" rims because with the super-stiff sidewalls you get less traction.

Good info on the Miata and the Elise! Thanks guys!

I was thinking, does or have Lotus ever made a car with an automatic transmission (paddle shifter boxes don't count)?

thedguy said:
I was thinking, does or have Lotus ever made a car with an automatic transmission (paddle shifter boxes don't count)?

I would hope not. Perhap the Esprit, or a one off like the Psychotic Lotus Carlton. Check that car out!

I don't remember seeing an automatic Lotus, and I hope I never do. The Carlton had a Corvette ZR-1 gearbox.

There were 70s Elites that were produced with an automatic tranny. There has also been a few experimental automatic lotus' that never made it into production.

S2000. Vicki has one so you'd be in good company. :)

Pontiac/Saturn would be my last choice. Ugh. :yucky: