F1:Hungary

Looks like Jenson's practice in the Liana was just what he needed to get that win :D

Have to say I was jumping with joy when Alonso retired. But being a Schumacher fan, I was quite angry at him and felt it his retirement was entirely his fault. He was about 4 seconds a lap slower then the dry runners, there was no way he could have kept off both De La Rosa and Heidfeld all the way until the end, not without it ending in tears. The only other alternative was to come in and take on a dry set, but he didn't. I was hoping Michael would take a more relaxed approach when the Mclaren and BMW came cruising up to him, and not put up too much of a fight, but he risked valuable championship points, and lost out.

IMO this race turned out to be advantage Alonso, he is now back in the (relative) comfort zone of being 11 points ahead with 50 points up for grabs. That means if Michael wins every race but Alonso comes second every race, Alonso will win the championship.

LoneWolf said:
flyingfridge said:
Looks like Jenson's practice in the Liana was just what he needed to get that win :D

LOL, yeah, good point! :)

HAHA!!!... YAY!!! Jenson Finally Won!!! I thought to myself at the begining that it would of been weird if he won after being on Top Gear... Amazing Race!!! Full of suprises!!!

Alonso ftw, but im glad Jenson won after being mocked by Clarkson about he'd never won a race :)

or maybe he removed the vertical wind screen that clarkson was talking about :D

He deserved it, funny that he started from 14th place.

1996 Monaco: Panis wins, started at 14th position.
1999 N?rburgring: Herbert wins, started at 14th position.
2006 Hungary: Button wins, started at 14th position.

The 14th position legend still lives. :p

Good for Button.

Michael deserved his retirement after what he pulled on De La Rosa (cutting the corner to get back ahead then not letting him past.)

It was nice to see some new people on the podium.

skaternick said:
Mercury said:
Point was , that Schumi was really going at it when it got dry setting lap times around 1~2 seconds faster then everyone else. If he were to switch tires in time (about 13 or 14 laps to the finish) and keep that pace going, he would easily be 4-5 if not higher up the rankings. Maybe De La Rosa would be out of reach but Hiedfeld was very possible for a 3rd place. I just saw it as a completly moronic act of a man who believes he's a god on a race track. I really wanted to see him close the gap to Alonso a bit more cause it's been a long time since we had a proper photo-finish to the championship between 2 very good drivers.
Unfortunately, even as great as Schumacher is, I don't think he's developed a psychic ability to accurately forecast the weather quite yet. It could have started raining again very easily and completely screwed him, whereas staying out would've guaranteed him a 4th place finish at the worst (had the car held together).

As for driving like a twat, his tires were beyond dead, and who knows what was going on with the mechanicals of the car, so to call him a twat for legitimately holding off de la Rosa as long as he did is just moronic. He was driving for position and points, and ultimately the championship, to say he should just move over is just... Fuck it's just dumb lol.

You misunderstood...I said a number of times that I think he drove briliantly, and had he chosen to pit and change tires, he could have gained a few places back because he was driving so good.
That twat part was about choosing not to pit out.

Robert Kubica has been disqualified after his BMW was underweight. only 2 KG

Code:
1.  Button        Honda                (M)
2.  de la Rosa    McLaren-Mercedes     (M)
3.  Heidfeld      BMW-Sauber           (M)
4.  Barrichello   Honda                (M)
5.  Coulthard     Red Bull-Ferrari     (M)
6.  R.Schumacher  Toyota               (B)
7.  Massa         Ferrari              (B)
8.  M.Schumacher  Ferrari              (B)
So 10 points between MS and Alonso

GraemeH said:
Good for Button.

Michael deserved his retirement after what he pulled on De La Rosa (cutting the corner to get back ahead then not letting him past.)

It was nice to see some new people on the podium.
He didn't intend to cut the corner, he had no where else to go. It could easily be argued that PDR forced him off, which is what Schumacher was probably thinking as well, in which case he wouldn't have to give the position up.

Shame to hear about Kubica... Though it does help Ferrari and Schumacher haha.

Great race! Great that Button could win something and the press would lay him off for a bit. If only Alonso stayed on a couple of laps more, Jenson was catching him up all the time (knocking 0.4s each lap av. and 3sec per lap once).

And its all part of fate. ITV had Antony Davidson (Honda's 3rd driver) as a temp commentor for the weekend. He was so good letting all the viewers know all the technical stuff. Replace him for James Allen :lol:

Yeah...can you imagine Davidson and Brundle. It'd be awesome! Haha. So pleased for Jenson though. He deserves it big time! By far the class of the field today along with Alonso until his car broke. It was so great to see a great F1 race again. Honestly nothing beats F1 when it's at it's best.

Amusingly I was jumping up and down about Alonso and Buttons lines going 'look...how awesome...they're taking the karting line and it's working :D' only for Davidson to say moments later....'it's great to see Fernando there taking what I like to call the 'karting line' and it really seems to be working for him'. It's just such an awesome feeling in karting when you can just drive round the outside of someone and dissapear into the distance :D Good to see the lads there in F1 showing their Mettle!

I have to say that Davidsons enthusiasm and emotion reminded me of Murray when Damon won the champ in '94. The way he was going 'I really can't believe it! Of all the races and I've had the privilage of commentating on Jensons first win. Wow....this is amazing. I'm so happy' :D :thumbsup:

And what the hell was Schumacher up to?! Oh...well done Pedro and Nick too :D

FireFox said:

Code:

didn't Michael Retire?

and about Michael's cutting the Chicane, for all the people who say that Michael had no choice but to cut it, if the inside of the chicane was grass or sand, do you think Michael would have gone over it 3 laps in a row? I know he might have been forced, but don't tell me you haven't seen this kind of overtaking before in F1...

fbc said:
Wow, what a race, amazing what a bit of moisture will do... Though I'm not a big JB fan, great to see him take the win.

BTW - Alonso went off due to a drive shaft failure, nothing to do with his pit crew.

Erm, replays showed a wheel nut clearly coming off and the right rear going wonky. The commentators here were pretty skeptical about the driveshaft failure.

Also why didn't MS let de la rosa overtake him the first time he cut the chicane? It's amazing how much faster the Ferrari in the straight than the McLaren even with the higher exit speed. Would love to see the raw hp data on those machines.

FireFox said:

Code:
yes! so if Schumi win all of the next 5 races and Alonsa get second in all of them they will be tie at 140 points. Then what? :eek:

EDIT: by the way this was the first F1 race I watched on TV, cause I just ordered Speed TV :mrgreen:

pfrocker said:
yes! so if Schumi win all of the next 5 races and Alonsa get second in all of them they will be tie at 140 points. Then what? :eek:

I want to see them duel it out without driving aids. M. Schumacher would then show the world why is he the best driver in the world.

Schumacher will try to take Alonso if it's that close and they're together on the track... his history doesn't lie