exhaust sound

jimmymac

yes im back with another stupid question :D

I heard sometime back that some of the big sports car manufacturers tend to make sure their engine/exhaust sound is a specific note or at least sounds similar in each car.

IS this true?

If so does anyone know the specific note of models such as the Porsche CGT?

Re: exhaust sound

jimmymac said:
yes im back with another stupid question :D

Questions & Answers

And yes of course manufacturers are concerned about the exhaust note, becuase they know that to a lot of people that is an important part of the automobile experience. As far as matching exhaust tones to specific notes, I have no idea.

I read somewhere that big companies like Ferrari and Aston Martin spend time tuning the exhaust sound to a recognizable sound so that when you hear them, you relate to the brand.
But you know how Internet is...

350z is like that for sure...

When I was at Porsche they told us that they invest quite a lot of time so that all of their cars are recognizeable as Porsches. The only car that is different is the C-GT, which has a more high-revving, F1-style sound.
But all manufacturers have sound engineers so that everything sounds right on their cars. I know that Audi has a special soundproof room where they ensure that the electric windows, doors, etc etc all have a quality sound.

You can't be wrong of cars such as V8 Vantage, SLR or the M3 CSL

Un-Dee said:
When I was at Porsche they told us that they invest quite a lot of time so that all of their cars are recognizeable as Porsches. The only car that is different is the C-GT, which has a more high-revving, F1-style sound.
But all manufacturers have sound engineers so that everything sounds right on their cars. I know that Audi has a special soundproof room where they ensure that the electric windows, doors, etc etc all have a quality sound.

jimmymac said:
If so does anyone know the specific note of models such as the Porsche CGT?

If you know your Porsche history, you'd know that the sound of the CGT was modelled on the sound of the 917 race car, which has quite possibly the most evil sounding engine in all of motorsport history.

patrick10 said:

WRONG! Take the air intake off a 2004-2006 Quest and then rev the engine. Sounds exactly like 350Z.

jayhawk said:
patrick10 said:

WRONG! Take the air intake off a 2004-2006 Quest and then rev the engine. Sounds exactly like 350Z.
both sound weird as hell, not bad, just odd. Whenever i hear a G35 or a 350Z drive by, i always get the sense of driving in a tunnel because of the way the sound resonates.
the weirdest is when you hear a 350Z IN a tunnel like here: http://videos.streetfire.net/search/350Z/0/071c8719-71c3-4bc9-b4b9-c296d65db3d8.htm

Listen to a 350z with the exhaust changed, and it sounds like complete shit.

There's a forum I frequent where someone asked about this, and several guys work for various manufacturers (one for volvo and one was involved with the AM v8 vantage), they all said you'd be suprised how much money they spend on this.

Interesting to hear how the LS1 in a corvette vs the LS1 in a camaro can sound so different, even though they are only minor differences in the engine.

C5 corvette...
http://www.corsaperf.com/flashc5.htm

Camaro
http://www.corsaperf.com/cfflash.html

I'll take the 'vette

the c5 z06 just had a 405 hp ls1.... still 5.7

and im pretty sure there is something in the exhaust of a stock 350z that makes it sound like a blender bc you ever hear one modified? completely different, like not even close.