using Top gear language in everyday conversations

Blind_Io said:
In addition to using the UK vernacular, I have found my delivery is somewhere between Jeremy and James. I also tend to use phrases I have picked up from Top Gear, like yesterday when the Porche cut me off I shook my head I said, "Cocks drive Porches."

I guess the bigest thing is that it has helped me see my nation from a less nationalistic perspective. I have always been critical of the US and my fellow citizens, but I don't think I ever really understood how much of a joke we are overseas.

IT'S PORSCHE! POR-SCHE! S-C-H!

Un-Dee said:
Blind_Io said:
like yesterday when the Porche cut me off I shook my head I said, "Cocks drive Porches."

IT'S PORSCHE! POR-SCHE! S-C-H!

That reminds me of the punch line in this horrible joke I once heard in India:

"You're back already? How did you paint my porch so quick?"

"Easy, that was not a porsche, it was a mercedes"

I find myself getting my point across like May too.

Philippine English actually has many peculiarities, though it's heavily based on American English. Strictly speaking, I'm not a native speaker, but I'm pretty good at it. Here's a few "foreign" words and phrases that got into my vocabulary:

"Rubbish!"
"It's witchcraft, that's what it is."
"Nooooooooo!"
"...in the world."
"Oh, cock!"
The verb "nick" instead of "steal"
The verb "nick" instead of the American "bust"
"Blithering idiot."
"Get out of the way!"
"Killed to death."
"Powaaaaaaahhh!"
"Utterly useless."
Adjectives such as "epic", "astonishing"

Car stuff:
"Lorry" instead of "truck"
"Estate" for "station wagon"
Substituting "Vauxhall" for "Opel" (though GM pulled out the Opel brand here years ago)
Haven't quite used bonnet and boot yet...

I'm sure I forgot a lot of things.

I've introduced 'flappy paddle' to a bunch of my friends/family, and now I've heard it from others. "Yeah, the new <whatever car> has a flappy paddle transmission..."

I can't get them to say 'gearbox' yet, but I'm working on it! :bangin:

Oh yes, the words "bloke" and "mate" too. I hate the word "dude" with a passion, I'm not offended by it but I find it bloody annoying (oh there's the word bloody). So I find those words to be very good (and very Top Gear-ish) substitute.

I haven't used the words bonnet, boot, estate, saloon, or any of the others but sometimes it is a struggle not to.

I was taking my mother to a garden center this morning to get some plants for her house. And while we were driving "Jessica" came on our local rock radio station. It was the wierdest thing. :lol:

No Boss said:
I was taking my mother to a garden center this morning to get some plants for her house. And while we were driving "Jessica" came on our local rock radio station. It was the wierdest thing. :lol:
When I was working at Moe's (Mexican restaurant) they would play classic rock songs, and once in a while Jessica would come on, which was charming. It made working there actually slightly bearable.

Alpha_One said:
Oh yes, the words "bloke" and "mate" too. I hate the word "dude" with a passion, I'm not offended by it but I find it bloody annoying (oh there's the word bloody). So I find those words to be very good (and very Top Gear-ish) substitute.

Ive started saying "sodding" instead of "f*cking"!

BerserkerCatSplat said:
I enjoy using "killed to death" rather frequently these days.
Yeah, I do too, always get a laugh out of it. I find myself saying rubbish and all those common phrases. Some people say I have a brittish accent :?

Alpha_One said:
I find myself getting my point across like May too.

Philippine English actually has many peculiarities, though it's heavily based on American English. Strictly speaking, I'm not a native speaker, but I'm pretty good at it. Here's a few "foreign" words and phrases that got into my vocabulary:

"Rubbish!"
"It's witchcraft, that's what it is."
"Nooooooooo!"
"...in the world."
"Oh, cock!"
The verb "nick" instead of "steal"
The verb "nick" instead of the American "bust"
"Blithering idiot."
"Get out of the way!"
"Killed to death."
"Powaaaaaaahhh!"
"Utterly useless."
Adjectives such as "epic", "astonishing"

Car stuff:
"Lorry" instead of "truck"
"Estate" for "station wagon"
Substituting "Vauxhall" for "Opel" (though GM pulled out the Opel brand here years ago)
Haven't quite used bonnet and boot yet...

I'm sure I forgot a lot of things.

I'll raise you bonnet for hood, hood for convertible top, and boot for trunk.

I also confuse people when I call their sedans saloons.

The only thing I have picked up 'flappy paddle'. In fact I still get bonnet confused.

However, I picked up some British words 15 years ago in college when I roomed with a Brit. But only 2 words have really stuck; bloody and berk.

I also picked up 'you guys' from living in Detroit and 'howdy' from living in Dallas. They both seem to come off my tongue easier than their alternatives. And lastly from living in Detroit by a lot of Canadiens I append a lot of questions with the word 'Aye'.

So

Howdy. How you guys doing, aye? You bloody twits.

With football season (American style) coming up, I think I'll be using a lot more:
"Blithering idiot!"
"Oh cock!"
"Utterly useless!"
"Epic!"
"Astonishing!"
"Rubbish!"

My friend drives a Ford Contour that I always call a Mondeo. He keeps asking me why the f*#^ I call it that. Mondeo sounds way better than Contour.

I also find myself using "undignified" from time to time.

Evo7 said:
Carsightings said:
can you elaborate?

I start talking a bit posh and can become a bit anoraky and start going into more detail than the person listening to me is interested in.

Has your friend started calling you Jezza now?
I find you strangely atractive.

:p

Yes, I do start talking like both Clarkson and May. But since i perfer Mays style, I guess I focus on his way of saying things.

Unless I just say things as I do most times.

Like myself. :)

I say "ihpod" instead of "eyepod"... but mostly just because I'm always making fun of it....

Seems like I'm not the only one affected by Top Gear (or British shows in general/started watching Saxondale and guess why ;)). I used to live in Oklahoma for over a year and picked up on the local accent.
But that is completely gone now thanks to Top Gear :) Now everybody keeps telling me that my accent is british with a slight german touch;)
I once made somebody really mad by calling the US "the colonies" :D

Edit: I found myself saying to myself: "Now that is a familiar sight on the motorway" when i white Transit appeared rather close in my rearview mirror. LOL