A noise coming from my engine..

Jon

Car(s)
Ford Mondeo 2.0 Honda CBR600FS (Now wrecked!)
Recently i've heard a tappety noise coming from my engine, but only when i give it the gas, not when i 'coast' with the clutch up, so i'm guessing cam shaft maybe? :( You can't hear it at idle either, only when you get past approx 1500 revs..?

does it stop when you get over 3000 rpms or so?

what year car, what make, how many miles, what octane of petrol, when was the last time you adjusted the valves?

I think after 3000 revs it becomes less noticable because of the frequency it's going at then.

Honda Civic 02, near 80,000, haven't a clue about the petrol, have never adjusted the valves, never had anything changed bar filters etc.

Bumppppp, anyone? :(

Have you thought about the exhaust? Occasionally, baffling inside the exhaust can come loose and begin to rattle. It's most noticeable under load.

Did the noise begin after a service? If it is tappety, it usually points to a different viscosity oil (too thin) being used.

It's definately more of a mechanical noise, it's also coming from the front. I've also noticed that it's only when the clutch is engaged that you can hear it, but you can't hear it when the clutch is engaged and your just coasting =\ .. gearbox maybe? It's quite loud now, i'll have to take it to a garage next week if i can't get some answers.

Not sure really unless I know what it sounds like. Exhaust can still come from the front if there is a loose gasket or broken deflector plate in the headers.

Does the noise occur when you start to release the clutch? Then it could be the clutch release bearing. Otherwise, it won't have anything to do with the clutch. If you're coasting with the clutch engaged, then it's still supplying drive, so wouldn't likely be a gearbox issue either.

One way to check if it's tappet related, is to place the end of a screwdriver on the engine rocker cover and the other end to your ear. Move the screwdriver along the cover and see if the noise changes. It's likely that the tappets might need setting.

If it's a knocking noise, then be prepared for expensive bills :cry: (engine bearings).

If it's a metal on metal sound, then it might be piston slap (I'd say that'd be rare in a Honda)

Probably should take it to a garage just to be safe.

Yeah i will do, i'll try what you said, though it'll have to be in a few days time. I won't be using it anyway. Thanks for the feedback though, VERY much appreciated.

OK, took it to my uncle and he said it's probably the gearbox, could be the bearings going or it could just be that the oil is low and needs a top up. Hm. Now i need to find out what bleedin oil the thing uses. =\

if you can, put in swepco gearbox oil. by far the best

autotragic or manual?

it seems odd that it would be a tapping coming from the gear box... is your uncle a mechanic?

sandor_ said:
if you can, put in swepco gearbox oil. by far the best

autotragic or manual?

it seems odd that it would be a tapping coming from the gear box... is your uncle a mechanic?

Yeah he is, and it is indeed a manual.

is it an old or worn clutch? I'm putting an outward guess that the clutch is slipping.

Naa, clutch isn't slipping. He is adament by the noise that it is the gearbox, hopefully it can be repaired for a somewhat small price <.<

Could be a lose flywheel, or it has become unbalanced for some reason.