Cheating mechanics

gtrietsc

Car(s)
'07 Ford F-150 FX4, '06 BMW M5
Wow nice find. I love it when News companies have nothing better to do than dig up dirt on establishments haha.

I stopped taking my car to Jiffy Lube after my first visit. Doing it myself is good, dirty, filthy fun.

5 out of 9 is not very good odds. I do my own maintenance, but if I didn't, I'd never be going to Jiffy Lube ...

it is a bit expected. most people dont even know they have to change the fuel filter or tranny fluid, or brake fluid for that matter..

i always wait in the garage, and ask questions I know the answer to to keep the dealerships mechanics on task.. and on the job..

now im gonna go make a happy face on all the filters..

This is why all our cars go to a trusted garage for even minor service. I still take my Honda to the dealer so everything is in their computer in case there is ever a dispute about the warranty.

Dad stopped taking his L200 for a service because they charged him for fitting a rocker gasket cover, he looked under the bonnet and it was untouched! Then it took him a month to get a refund. :x

It's a good job dad had mechinical knowledge, if that had happend to someone clueless about cars it would have gone unnoticed.

I am a mechanic by trade and i hate seeing all these shops dicking people. I used to work as an auto parts deliver and quite a few of the garages did short cuts on jobs. More than you would think.

Thats why i want to open up my own shop. I can't work for people like that.

Encino, Canoga Park, Glendale, Burbank! Those are pretty decent middle class cities in the Los Angeles Metropolitan area. I go to that area all the time.

I only go to a mechanic when I do not have the tools to do the job myself. This is very rare since all my friends have garages full of tools. When one has a problem the rest of us get together and help out. We rarely get stuck with anything. And how much better of a job can a mechanic do if we follow the same factory procedures?

It's also good to personally know mechanics. Owning a Datsun, I befriended a retired Datsun factory mechanic in my neighbourhood. He knows my car top to bottom like the back of his hand. If I have a question he always has an answer.

If you own a car you need to know what it takes to keep it maintained. You should be able to walk into a mechanic's garage and know how much this or that repair costs. If you look and sound clueless then a mechanic will do whatever it takes to make that extra dollar off you.

Z Draci said:
Encino, Canoga Park, Glendale, Burbank! Those are pretty decent middle class cities in the Los Angeles Metropolitan area. I go to that area all the time.

I only go to a mechanic when I do not have the tools to do the job myself. This is very rare since all my friends have garages full of tools. When one has a problem the rest of us get together and help out. We rarely get stuck with anything. And how much better of a job can a mechanic do if we follow the same factory procedures?

It's also good to personally know mechanics. Owning a Datsun, I befriended a retired Datsun factory mechanic in my neighbourhood. He knows my car top to bottom like the back of his hand. If I have a question he always has an answer.

If you own a car you need to know what it takes to keep it maintained. You should be able to walk into a mechanic's garage and know how much this or that repair costs. If you look and sound clueless then a mechanic will do whatever it takes to make that extra dollar off you.

I've always told people that don't know about cars to shop around, or make friends with a mechanic that can atleast give them a clue as to what might be the problem. My family is full of Mechanic's and car guys (what family for SoCal doesn't have atleast one car guy in it?), so finding help on fixing a car hasn't been a problem.

Nice thing about owning a Datsun is it's an enthusiast car, enthusiast cars tend to have a lot of people who know them in and out. The only way I wouldn't buy a Japanese car, is if it were an older/used enthusiast car, atleast then plenty of people know how to work on them, not just the dealer and their over priced labor.

The only shops I would trust with my car are Firestones, I've worked for them, and they are very anal about things being done right. Especially the shop I worked at (Yorba Linda).

I applied for a job at a jiffy lube and a competitor that does mostly oil changes, both places rarely had applicants even capable of getting a GED let alone bothering to finish High School. Needless to say I didn't bother finishing the applications.

You mention how they are all in decent area's, I've always thought that the area's where the people have more money than brains tend to get ripped off because they just take their word for it.

What really gets on my dads nurves (mechanic by trade), are these shops, because they make it even harder for an honest guy who just makes a mistake, or is trying to fight multiple problems, do his job properly. My dad got out of the business because people would accuse him of ripping them off because the problem they had wasn't fixed when it left the shop, come to find out either, he mis-diagnosed the issue, or most often, was multiple issues.

thedguy said:
The only shops I would trust with my car are Firestones, I've worked for them, and they are very anal about things being done right. Especially the shop I worked at (Yorba Linda).

I stopped going to Firestone after I took my Cobra there for an inspection, and they cut my wiper blade when I wasn't looking, claimed my K&N filter wasnt emissions legal in TEXAS, but that they would overlook it if I bought new blades to pass inspection since I needed them anyway. :blowup:

gtrietsc said:
thedguy said:

I stopped going to Firestone after I took my Cobra there for an inspection, and they cut my wiper blade when I wasn't looking, claimed my K&N filter wasnt emissions legal in TEXAS, but that they would overlook it if I bought new blades to pass inspection since I needed them anyway. :blowup:
Straight up your version of the trading standards office then - cheeky sods

Reguarly here these stories about Kwik-Fit and other big chains in this country. The problem is you only need a few bad reports to tarnish the whole comapnies image. My family only go to a main dealer for work or a local trusted garage if it isn't covered under warranty.

I feel bad for the poor techs in this video. I doubt anyone ever told them to cut corners, but the pressure to have things done quickly is intense. I used to work at a NTB, and I never charged for something I didn't do, but I was constantly in trouble for taking too long. My boss always wanted me to sell shit too, I always told him to make me a salesman so I'd get commision. That fast auto service business sucks, for everyone but the guys at the top making money.

gtrietsc said:
thedguy said:

I stopped going to Firestone after I took my Cobra there for an inspection, and they cut my wiper blade when I wasn't looking, claimed my K&N filter wasnt emissions legal in TEXAS, but that they would overlook it if I bought new blades to pass inspection since I needed them anyway.

The shop I worked at was honest, in fact the job I had became available to me when the previous guy was fired for cutting corners, and pulling shit like that.

Unfortunately each Firestone shop is different. Again, good reason to learn to do it yourself. After working with another new tech at that shop, I'll avoid taking my car to a shop as much as possible. That moron would take a car that had been in the lot all day, fire it up, bring it in the shop (still cold) and rev the piss out of it for fun... among other idiotic things to do with other peoples property.

I figured I'd bump this thread after seeing this video.

http://cbs4boston.com/iteam/local_story_334182720.html

One would think that after this many complaints/problems they woudl actually do somthing about it.

/my father had money stolen from his glovebox at Jiffy Lube.
//Partially his fault for leaving it there, but entirely their fault for taking it.

A friend of mine went to one of those 15 minute old changes. They put the wrong kind of oil in it and the wrong filter on it. But still not as bad as my other friend when they accidentally drained his transmission fluid and didn't fill it back up or even tell him. He got about ten feet away from their door before he found out. Crunch!

I once took a Rover 800 for a MOT and it was it's 1st one so I thought I didn't have to much to worry about, it failed on the CV joint I was none to pleased not when I was told how much it was going to cost for me to get a certificate. I took it to another "auto-shop" as you Americans like to call it as the quote for repair was cheaper. Now his expert opinion when he removed the said part was and I quote "that looks to me like a screwdriver hole and on both the left and the right very odd"

Were my parents used to get there cars MOT's done they failed a Cavalier on something really really rare that I can't remember the name of. It wasn't to expensive so they got it repaired. A couple of years later they had an Astra done at the same garage and guess what, exactly the same bit had failed. They thought it a bit dodgy so they got the garage they use for servicing to check it out. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the part. Needless to say they never used that garage again.

Wow, I hate sensationalized news. I can't stand things like the way the guy holds up the printed up email like it's a matter of national security or something.

Anyway, that's why I generally bring my car to a privately owned garage or to a dealer's garage that I know I can trust (my last two cars and my dad's current car were all purchased from this dealer or have been at this dealer at one point; they're really good folks). I can do minor fluid and filter changes and top-ups myself (oil changes, too, but partly because my oil filter is quite easy to access :p)