HDD Player

vwguy1

Car(s)
Civic Si
Has anyone heard of an HDD player? They look like an external hard drive that connects to your TV. I have seen them on ebay, but when I asked about them at Best Buy they had never heard of them. They are supposed to be able to play Avi and other formats on your TV.

Has anyone heard of these, and are they any good?

I would love to be able to watch TG on my television without converting, and making a dvd.

Also, they seem to have no hard drives, would I connect my external hd to this then to the TV?

Ebay item number:300020008931

Thanks for any help on these.

Those are similar to the ones on ebay. The ebay drives and these keep mentioning disks so I dont know if I simply load the avi onto the drive then plug to tv or plug my external hard drive to this then plug into tv. I sent a question to an ebay seller maybe they will respond and explain how it works. Seems like a very easy way to watch top gear on my tv.

Will update if I find out anymore.

Thanks for the reply.

Many of the HDD players and purpose built media centers are not updatable with new codecs and such. It may be a better option to build a conventional PC optimized for media use.

All I read about ARE updateable...

As long as they specify that they are updatable. I know that there are some out there that are not - just something to check before you enter the credit card number.