Report: Cadillac to bring BRX, BLS to U.S.

jetsetter

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1997 BMW 528i
Cadillac is considering adding a small crossover to its U.S. lineup in an effort to gain a foothold in the lower end of the luxury segment. Company General Manager Jim Taylor told Edmunds GM division was considering bringing the forthcoming BRX crossover to America. The BRX has been rumored since last year, but was previously expected to be sold in Europe only. The car would be offered with four-cylinder engines, which Taylor says shouldn't be a problem to consumers, since they "don't count cylinders." Cadillac also plans to sell its Europe-only BLS sedan in America, according to supplier sources cited by Edmunds. Taylor would not confirm the rumors, but sources say the vehicle will be updated for the 2009 model year, and then imported to America. Lastly, Taylor said there were no immediate plans for an S-Class or 7-Series competitor, but such a vehicle is a "necessity," and would arrive eventually.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/08/22/report-cadillac-to-bring-brx-bls-to-us/

Cadillac BLS
http://img183.imageshack.**/img183/9471/cadillacblsfp5.jpg

The car would be offered with four-cylinder engines, which Taylor says shouldn't be a problem to consumers, since they "don't count cylinders."
:lol: Thats the stupidest thing i've ever heard. Who buys a fairly expensive "luxury" vehicle with a 4 cylinder engine!?! The CTS only sold because of the engine....

teletubby-warrior said:
The car would be offered with four-cylinder engines, which Taylor says shouldn't be a problem to consumers, since they "don't count cylinders."
:lol: Thats the stupidest thing i've ever heard. Who buys a fairly expensive "luxury" vehicle with a 4 cylinder engine!?! The CTS only sold because of the engine....

Whilst I don't agree with your comment... I do agree with the fact that Taylor's statement is asinine. Saying buyers don't care about cylinders is quite obnoxious to me. It's almost like their saying "We'll put what ever we damn well please in there. They won't care, HELL they won't even notice."

-1, Jim Taylor.

teletubby-warrior said:

The authors (Taylors) comments are a bit ignorant, but in a sense, it's true! The average car buyer could care less. If it feels good off a stoplight and the 4-5 right turns you make when test driving, then it will sell regardless of cylinders. And knowing GM, it will be a torquey 4 pot with adequte horsepower that fills the need of the consumer in all driving conditions. It will be neither thrilling nor dissapointing.

As for the styling, it has good clean lines, nothing radical. It stands out in the front and the rest of the body blends into the crowd. I'll bet they'll sell quite well.

The point is that anyone looking for this size car with a 4-banger has plenty of options from importers. The Hona Accord is available in a 4 cyl and has many, many luxury options. There's the Volvo S40 and the Audi A4 from the Germans, and doesn't Jaguar have an entry 4 cyl in the US?

Cadillac's big selling point is the Northstar engine, I predict a Cateric failure of Allantic proportions.

Blind_Io said:
The point is that anyone looking for this size car with a 4-banger has plenty of options from importers. The Hona Accord is available in a 4 cyl and has many, many luxury options. There's the Volvo S40 and the Audi A4 from the Germans, and doesn't Jaguar have an entry 4 cyl in the US?

Cadillac's big selling point is the Northstar engine, I predict a Cateric failure of Allantic proportions.

The CTS does not even use a V8 with the exception of the CTS-V and that's a small block, same with the Escalade. Both don't use the Northstar.

The BLS will have single digit sales figures. I really cant see a single thing that i think people will like about it at all.

bartboy9891 said:
The BLS will have single digit sales figures. I really cant see a single thing that i think people will like about it at all.

Not so sure. When the information about this vehicle first came out people were pissed it was not coming to the US.

jetsetter said:
bartboy9891 said:

Not so sure. When the information about this vehicle first came out people were pissed it was not coming to the US.
i really dont see the point. If they like the styling, they can always get the CTS which is probably much better. Everything else is straight from the 9-3.

bartboy9891 said:
jetsetter said:
bartboy9891 said:

i really dont see the point. If they like the styling, they can always get the CTS which is probably much better. Everything else is straight from the 9-3.

But I am guessing that they will sell more BLSs than 9-3s.

teletubby-warrior said:
Plenty of people do - ever seen a Merc C-Class, BMW 3-Series or Audi A4 on the road?

But as for Taylor's comment....can't agree with that :bangin:

People I've talked to before (not car people, just average people) believe that a 6cyl. car is 'smoother' than a 4pot. Maybe this perception will affect sales?

bartboy9891 said:
TBH I would expect them to sell a few more than 9. :D

IMHO the point of the Caddy should be refinement and you do not get refinement from a 4 pot. So where as it is true that many customers won't count the cylinders the effect of the rougher 4 pot will be that the refinement level will be compromised. They could just about get away with a really good 6 cyl ? la BMW but 4 pot I think not. Been known to be wrong though who knows could be their biggest seller - BLS does corners does it not?

They don't count cylinders when they buy a Toyota, Nissan or Saturn. They do when they buy something like a Cadillac. (Or why is it that the US never got 4-cyl. BMW's in the near past?)

Sweet, now I can have a Saab that "blings". Any idea of the cost?

YF19pilot said:
im curious of the cost too. I said earlier that no one would buy it, however if the price is right it may not fail completely. The 4-banger version of the 9-3 costs around $27K USD, so i assume this is slightly more than that.
Over $27K is just ridiculous. You can buy much more attractive compact luxury cars for that price. Hell, you can stick with the Swedish theme and get the Volvo S40.

mautzel said:

They don't count cylinders when they buy a Toyota, Nissan or Saturn. They do when they buy something like a Cadillac. (Or why is it that the US never got 4-cyl. BMW's in the near past?)
really? they never got the E30 M3?

Kebab gud said:
mautzel said:

really? they never got the E30 M3?

..and the Lotus Esprit and the VW Beetle...

(I was more speaking in terms of the basic European entry models such as the BMW 316i or Audi A4 1.6)

Edit: and the E36 318is when I recall it correctly now :lol: (Screw my initial comment!)

bartboy9891 said:
YF19pilot said:
im curious of the cost too. I said earlier that no one would buy it, however if the price is right it may not fail completely. The 4-banger version of the 9-3 costs around $27K USD, so i assume this is slightly more than that.
Over $27K is just ridiculous. You can buy much more attractive compact luxury cars for that price. Hell, you can stick with the Swedish theme and get the Volvo S40.
Honestly the Saab 9-3 looks a lot better then this BLS...i also really like Saab interiors...dont know why though. :?

However, if the BLS has a lower MSRP and with all the GM incentive pricing....it might sell better then the 9-3 since then it would be a cheaper 9-3.