Why the crazy British pronunciation on car names?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hype said:
does it matter?

Not really. I just started this thread because I was curious as to why there is a difference. I do find it interesting how it's always the British, and the British only, who get their panties in a wad over pronunciation.

peter3hg2 said:
It comes from the Subaru Impreza Drivers CLubs website so TBH I tend to trust it over some guy on the internet.

You will of course understand that I'll take the word of Subaru in Japan over your's and any idiotic website that states anyone pronounces it Im-PRAY-za. It's Im-PREZZ-ah.

ishigakisensei said:
I do find it interesting how it's always the British, and the British only, who get their panties in a wad over pronunciation.

You will of course understand that I'll take the word of Subaru in Japan over your's and any idiotic website that states anyone pronounces it Im-PRAY-za. It's Im-PREZZ-ah.

I'm amused. You're British too?

ishigakisensei said:
peter3hg2 said:
It comes from the Subaru Impreza Drivers CLubs website so TBH I tend to trust it over some guy on the internet.

It doesn't just come from the SIDC.... it comes from the Italian dictionary. I'd take the originators word for it.

Die thread, die!

I can't believe it's started up again... :nazilock:

Pro Tip:
Because the English invented the English language, they determine what is right and what is wrong. Yes, I know there are more American people than British, but you cannot say that Americans are right and the British are wrong on words such as "Zed/Zee" when the you wouldn't be there in the first place if it wasn't for the British.

We Australians know this because we still recognise the authority of the motherland ;)

My logic is undeniable!

^ well neither of those dialects would exist at all as well as quite a few others if it wasnt for latin and the romans.

wooflepoof said:
^ well neither of those dialects would exist at all as well as quite a few others if it wasnt for latin and the romans.

Pff....they ain't got shit on cave paintings.

Interestingly enough, modern "English" is largely a collection of bastardized French and German with some middle-english thrown in for flavor.

Even more interestingly, modern British English is the result of a dramatic change in pronunciations and spelling that was took place nearly 300 years ago. The changes propagated to the rest of the Empire (later, the Commonwealth) during the late-18th and early-19th centuries. For obvious reasons, the changes did not find their way into the vernacular of the United States.

So... if anyone has changed the way "English" is spoken, for better or worse, it's the British, not those of us on this side of the pond.

West said:
Pro Tip:
Because the English invented the English language, they determine what is right and what is wrong. Yes, I know there are more American people than British, but you cannot say that Americans are right and the British are wrong on words such as "Zed/Zee" when the you wouldn't be there in the first place if it wasn't for the British.

We Australians know this because we still recognise the authority of the motherland ;)

My logic is undeniable!

hahaha

by the logic in the initial post i should be saying jag-you-are too, but i dont, and i dont care - regional dialects are different and always will be.

sharkd said:
Interestingly enough, modern "English" is largely a collection of bastardized French and German with some middle-english thrown in for flavor.

Even more interestingly, modern British English is the result of a dramatic change in pronunciations and spelling that was took place nearly 300 years ago. The changes propagated to the rest of the Empire (later, the Commonwealth) during the late-18th and early-19th centuries. For obvious reasons, the changes did not find their way into the vernacular of the United States.

So... if anyone has changed the way "English" is spoken, for better or worse, it's the British, not those of us on this side of the pond.
Sir, you own an E24 6-Series, one of the most beautiful BMWs ever made. You are officially awesome in my book. :cheers: :welcome:

Perfect for this thread:

www.sniffpetrol.com said:
Internet.jpg

The Internet, Yesterday.

Once upon a time if a person wanted to learn new information or check a fact they would have to resort to an encyclopaedia or other text book. Now, thanks to the internet, those crusty old tombs have been replaced by a new, far more powerful source of knowledge; some bloke on a web forum whose who has heard from his brother who knows a guy who told him that this was definitely a fact.

This almost limitless resource has already been dubbed IBF, or Internet Bullshitter Fact, by the scientific community and interest in the sheer breadth and scope of new data that is coming to light is growing by the day. "We used to spend years carefully investigating and validating new facts," said a man hiding behind a beard. "But now we realise we were wasting our time. The path to new discovery and innovation is to log onto an internet forum and wait for someone with no actual mates in the real world to enlighten you with the scientific truth that can only be reached when this guy, right, knows this bloke, right, and he was talking to a fella that mends washing machines, right, and he said that it's definitely true that all cat food has heroin in it".

IBF has become especially prevalent in the world of cars and already threatens to kill off traditional magazines and books with their old fashioned attempts to check and cross reference facts. "We've been completely wasting our time using traditional methods of being accurate," admitted one magazine editor. "And whilst we were distracted doing that, we've missed hundreds of scoops that have instead appeared on internet fora. Did you know, for example, that all SEAT Ibiza Cupras turn out at least 25bhp more than is quoted in the brochure? And that one of the race instructors at Brands Hatch, I think it was probably Nigel Mansell, said everyone knows that the Toyota Supra has better handling than a Ferrari F430? We missed all that, and that Top Gear's Stig is over a dozen people, including Damon Hill, Alain Prost and the late Ayrton Senna. Plus we had no idea that all car magazines including ours were taking bungs from BMW and Porsche. IBF really is a revolution in new information. It's just a shame it's all utter bollocks".

wow, this thread just keeps going. i'm british and i pronounce impreza as im-pret-za, audi as ow-dee, murcielago as mur-see-o-lar-go, and i say zed. i also prefer aluminium and i hate jag-wire

also, how can you pronounce brera wrong, i say br-air-ra

my 2p

matt

BlaRo said:
sharkd said:

Sir, you own an E24 6-Series, one of the most beautiful BMWs ever made. You are officially awesome in my book. :cheers: :welcome:

x 2 - :heart: the 6-Series

Nice thread. But why has it always have to be an American who starts such threads and then proceeds to attack others for being insecure about their pronounciations. A bit surprised Americans haven't passed a bill to rename the language to "American".

On the other hand, India with one of the world's largest population speaks British English. They are one of the rising powers in the world. So there is still hope!

edit: And it would be probably better if you didn't sensetionalise your thread titles so much. I mean just because the pronounciations are different, doesn't make them "crazy" lol

"koo-pay, despite the word coupe lacking a mark above the e."

I've read and probably said some ignorant statements, but that takes the cake.

Probably better to lock this thread. The internet is full of these and as far as I can tell nothing good comes out of them.

During the TG episode were they take over the drive-time radio station JC refers to people driving "involent carriages" or "dimvolent carriages", something like that. Everyone cringed at the statement, as it was apparently not appropriate. What exactly did he say and why is it taboo?

Just curious...

madpsi said:
During the TG episode were they take over the drive-time radio station JC refers to people driving "involent carriages" or "dimvolent carriages", something like that. Everyone cringed at the statement, as it was apparently not appropriate. What exactly did he say and why is it taboo?

Just curious...
Invalid Carriages for old people.
This sorta thing.
230205_drivability21.jpg

kekekeke said:
Nice thread. But why has it always have to be an American who starts such threads and then proceeds to attack others for being insecure about their pronounciations.

Because that never happens and has not happened here. English seems to be your first language but you lack any reading comprehension skills.

My comment to anal British (ooopps, I repeat myself :lol: ) people is Britian may be where English originated, but America is where it was perfected.

Now, can you Brits become grownups and we get the fuck off this AE vs BE crap?

ishigakisensei said:
My comment to anal British (ooopps, I repeat myself :lol: ) people is Britian may be where English originated, but America is where it was perfected.
Why don't you take your head out of your arse.
If AE is so superior then why is BE taught around the world (as I believe various people have stated earlier in this thread).
What you have actually done is take our language and pollute it.

Status
Not open for further replies.