The British media's attitude regarding the accident

I think the most absurd thing abobut how the media is handling it, is that they do it all under the pretense of "what's in the presenters' best interests," when I'm sure this witchhunt is the last thing Richard would have wanted.

.. the same thing happnened here in australia on some tv networks ..

Peter brock died in a car accident in a targa rally, anyway he was a pro driver etc etc.. some of the media satarted saying how rallying, driving cars should be banned blah blah blah.. its bulslhit anyway .. i only watch ABC news :) (australia Broadcasting coorporation) .. only place that acutaly tells you whats going on in the world

I was just going to type something defending the BBC, but I changed my mind.

Jack M said:
ruuman said:
Couldn't agree more with the comments here, I'm writing a letter of compaint to the BBC about the retarded interviewing techniques and pressurising of "experts" to condeming what Richard did.

Apart from news night the BBC (and most other news agencys) are a complete bunch of rating chasing wankers. I dread the day Paxman and Dimbleby leave because all will be lost.

You should direct your primal rage towards ITV news, they are the real wankers.

ruuman said:

He's a bit of a windowlicker n'all. Arrogant ponce.

I stopped watching ITV long ago and they are a commercial channel so they a bit more freedom over the mountains of shite they produce.
There is no excuse for the dumbing down approach of the BBC news especially as we pay good money for it. After reading that Sun article I hope JC gives them absoloute hell for the crap they have been pumping out.

Paxman, I know he's not everyones cup of tea, but he doesn't back down in interviews and most of his questions are generally intellegent.

Each to their own I guess

bbc.co.uk/topgear/ said:
Blythy said:
even publishing leaflets about opening a door.

To be fair, those doors were VERY tricky.

sounds like you're speaking from experience :p

bbc.co.uk/topgear/ said:
Blythy said:

Don't forget about those glass walls, it really was a fantastic idea to put the giant warning stickers across them so nobody would walk into them. God Bless H&S.

(Check out the ep where they take over the radio station to see what I mean.)

Susurrate said:
bbc.co.uk/topgear/ said:
Blythy said:

Don't forget about those glass walls, it really was a fantastic idea to put the giant warning stickers across them so nobody would walk into them. God Bless H&S.

(Check out the ep where they take over the radio station to see what I mean.)

Ha I remember those walls from a school trip to London a few years ago. A friend of mine walked right into one. SMACK! "Woah! That's cleeeeean!" :lol:

I'm glad Clarkson has more or less taken over the reporting on Hammond. The first few days articles spent a couple sentences on how he was doing, followed by an entire novel about who's to blame, why he was even doing it, etc.

this is indeed an interesthing thread... medias are just empty boxes that feed on the issue "du jour". When Hammond got the accident it was SKY for example to start talking about it. BBC was almost marginal at the beginning. Also SKY presenters were quite pro Hammond.

AM

Also SKY presenters were quite pro Hammond.

they weere, but there was one bastard who did the evening coverage outside the hospital gerrad something ort other. his coverage was skewed against the producers very very heavily.

Susurrate said:
Don't forget about those glass walls, it really was a fantastic idea to put the giant warning stickers across them so nobody would walk into them.
For the record, I know people who HAVE walked into glass walls :)

Top Gear once crashed the Jaguar C-Type that won the Le Mans in the 50's in one of their early shows.
Even with the owner being lucid over that the show still hung around.

Give this a week and something like some parlimentary sex scandle to dominate the news and everyone will most likely ignore it.

Look at the news in the past, there's been MANY a knee jerk reaction that's fizzled out just as suddenly as it's appeared.
Hopefully investigation teams will realise that this accident was not caused by a deliberate human err.

How can it be a deliberate human made accident? Jesus... Okay, if they stuck Hammond in the Liana or the Lacetti and cut the brakes or something, it's a bit of a laugh (probably not, but bear with me, it's an example to make a point) but at 300-bloody-miles-per-hour, no one will want to miss ANY little detail to make it as safe as possible... Not even the most crazy person in the world...

300mph is another world... You just don't screw around, and as we can see in the various articles by Jezza, BBC, Sky, etc, the Top Gear Production team and that Primetime company all took extra, EXTRA precautions to prevent something going wrong.

Come on, why else would Hammond be calling James c*ckface and smiling at Jezza's jabs at him... He'd be holding a freaking harp by now if there were safety precautions!

Still... GO LADYMAN! YOU'RE DEFINITELY ON THE RIGHT TRACK!

Top Gear WebDog said:
Top Gear once crashed the Jaguar C-Type that won the Le Mans in the 50's in one of their early shows.
Even with the owner being lucid over that the show still hung around.

I don't think they crashed the C-type, they just wrecked the tires and clutch if I remember correctly.

BTW, I think you meant "livid", not "lucid." ;)

Reboot said:
Susurrate said:
Don't forget about those glass walls, it really was a fantastic idea to put the giant warning stickers across them so nobody would walk into them.
For the record, I know people who HAVE walked into glass walls :)

I walked into a lamp post once. Does that mean we should ban them too ;)

You walked into a lamp post once? What were you thinking mate?! Hahahaha! Bit of a Piddington going on here hey?

PS. You just CANNOT ban lamp posts here in Belgium... That's what we're famous for! Remember :jc: saying... "Belgium has the most lit highway in the world." We have precious little to cheer about, inventor of Saxophone, chocolate, BEER :cheers:, waffles and fries... That's about it...

KryptonZone said:
You walked into a lamp post once? What were you thinking mate?! Hahahaha! Bit of a Piddington going on here hey?

PS. You just CANNOT ban lamp posts here in Belgium... That's what we're famous for! Remember :jc: saying... "Belgium has the most lit highway in the world." We have precious little to cheer about, inventor of Saxophone, chocolate, BEER :cheers:, waffles and fries... That's about it...
What about Jean Claude Van Damme!

peter3hg2 said:
KryptonZone said:

What about Jean Claude Van Damme!
But I thought he was French... :cry: Oh well, they'll just have to fall back onto Jean Reno and Zidane as the coolest French people ever.:thumbup: