If you could take one car back in time...

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
From time to time, I always think of what it'd be like to take something back in time. A modern computer back 20 or 30 years? Can you imagine what they'd think? :lol: However, we'll just be sticking to cars for this thread though because this is a car forum after all. ;)

* First off, if you could take one production car back 50 years, what would be it? Would you take a Lamborghini back? Or perhaps a Mercedes? Or maybe a McLaren?

* Secondly, what about any car to any time within the past ~115 years (1890's when the car was invented)? Would you take a luxury car back to the 20's? Or perhaps a hybrid back to the 70's or 80's?

As for me, I think I'd take a F430 back 50 years and show people how incredibly fast and well handling it is while still being a street car and "normal".

I'd also take a F1 car back to the 40's or 50's and just stun them with it's performance.

^na... people won't get impressed with speed, they see that on race tracks with proper racing cars... I'll bring one of those super luxury cars like the Maybach with all the crazy gadgets, that'll be something they will get impressed with.

I'd bring back one of these to show them the dangers of drug use.

chevy%20ssr%202.jpg

I've often wondered about that question and came to the result that people probably would be impressed by the styling / gadgets, but the cars themselves somehow wouldn't make it very long. Unleaded petrol at a 1950s gas station? After firing out everything you brought along, the last revolutionary thing they'd see would be the onboard display saying something about Lambda or catalytic converter failure before the car would come to rest for 20 or 30 years.

Apart from that, people might be impressed by the top speed or handling of a Ferrari, but they'd really be astonished if you'd show them an ordinary car they'd probably be able to afford / buy themselves today. Referring to what is popular in Germany, I'd choose a decently equipped Golf or Passat for that kind of presentation.

50 years ago? Cadillac XLR-V.

115? Mercedes Benz G55 AMG. As that's about the only thing that will drive on the roads that I can take to either Mr. Benz or Mr. Daimler to personally thank them for the great cars that they've given the world.

Either that or I'd take a M1046 Up Armored HMMWV with TOW Missle back to the early 1940's and take on fortress Europe...just because I don't think an Abrams qualifies as a "car".

Yeah, I often dream of plowing through the battlefields of WW2 in a modern tank. :lol:

It'd be sweet to take a twin turbo Supra back to the late 60s and dusting off a few American muscle cars in drag races, to give them a taste of what's coming. That, or an NSX or Skyline GT-R to Le Mans in the 50s. And just to be all equal-opportunity, a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 in post-WWII Europe, give them just that little more incentive to rebuild.

For 115 years ago, you'd kind of have to keep in mind that you'd probably need a good off-roader since the roads were not exactly paved.

ESPNSTI said:
For 115 years ago, you'd kind of have to keep in mind that you'd probably need a good off-roader since the roads were not exactly paved.

Bowler Wildcat. Aw yeah. Take it through rural villages and make the Headless Horseman look like Lady Godiva.

Labcoatguy said:
Bowler Wildcat. Aw yeah. Take it through rural villages and make the Headless Horseman look like Lady Godiva.
:lol: definatley a wildcat for me too. And a big gas reserve, to avoid being all show and no go.

Labcoatguy said:
It'd be sweet to take a twin turbo Supra back to the late 60s and dusting off a few American muscle cars in drag races, to give them a taste of what's coming. That, or an NSX or Skyline GT-R to Le Mans in the 50s. And just to be all equal-opportunity, a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 in post-WWII Europe, give them just that little more incentive to rebuild.

uh...you'll get about 10m before the engine lets go on the crappy fuel..... :lol:

50 Years- Id take a Octavia vRS to show Skoda that there cars do turn out good in the future and to ignore the jokes during the 70s and 80s that they got
115- Years- A Range Rover Sport Supercharged and have some fun on the deserted roads, or in the Scottish Glens. Id also live in the boot as homes weren't very nice back then

kaBOOMn said:
uh...you'll get about 10m before the engine lets go on the crappy fuel..... :lol:

That's a very pointy point: they had leaded gasoline back then, so if any of this were to actually happen :lol: , loads of engines would be screwed up. Uh....fuel cell vehicle with onboard hydrogen generator and big-ass solar panel, then?

You get to take along 10 fuel trucks too. :p

How about the new Audi Q7 V12 TDi when it comes out, you should have no problem finding some diesel.

That is a tricky question...
50 years ago: Probably a well equipped car, to show off the gadgets and comfort. I KNOW!!!!! I would take a Murci?lago and give it to Ferrucio, and say: "THIS is how it should be done in the first place. Leave the design of the Miura as is but underneath it should be well-built like this." :p Maybe he would still own the company today. :lol:
115 years ago? A Porsche Cayenne. I would need something able to cope with crappy roads.
EDIT: Now that I think of it...leave the Miura alone. :oops:

I'd go back to 1846 in a Jeep Wrangler and laugh at the Donner Party. :twisted:
chucknorris.jpg

I'd take back my car... to the exact moment my parents were having the sex that made me. And I'd run in and smack my dad on the ass and say...."LOOK WHAT YOU MADE...I'M YOUR SON FROM THE FUTURE!!!! YIPPPYYABLAAHJHJJ!!!11"

/Dane Cook, ftw.