The NASCAR Poll

The NASCAR Poll

• Haven't seen a race, but I like it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Pretty boring to watch. I don't know what it's like for the driver. Must be quite a rush.

If I remember correctly a couple of years ago Jeff Gordon and Juan Pablo Montoya traded cars for a day at the Indianapolis F1 circuit. I believe they each were around 1 second slower a lap in the others car. Both had good things to say about the differences in the cars and how they had to be driven to put down a fast time.

I like NASCAR and have been watching for about 10 years now. Sure the technology isn't anything to brag about, but I still love to watch it. Also I will admit that it can be pretty boring to watch at some tracks with little action, but everytime I attend a race (have gone to about 10 so far) it gets my adrenaline going to hear and feel all 43 cars running at once.

Where's the option for "I loath NASCAR with every fibre in my body"?

I just can't stand NASCRAP. I hate the "redneck-ness" of it almost as much as I hate how incredibly paint-drying, grass-growing boring it is and how over-hyped it is. I believe the "skill" required to race in NASCAR is also over-hyped. -Cpt. J.- said it best:
I dont think I can ever accept professional racing driver to be a man that spends most of his time foot straight and just turns left.
Agreed.

Over-hyped? I hear nothing but bashing when it comes to the sport. If anything, Nascar is under-rated and the skill levels involved... idiotically overlooked.

There probably isn't a person on this forum capable enough to even qualify for a Nascar event. Put down the PS2 and try to get in touch with reality. Please?

I don't like NASCAR, but I still respect the skill to pilot a car based on Stone-Age technology honed to space-age advancements, inches away from 40 other drivers, at 200mph, 500 times. It seems pretty simple on the surface, but don't deride it because it's not as stupidly easy and backwards as it looks.

Nevertheless, I don't like it (like I said earlier). Back maybe when it was a grassroots event, with cars that were literally stock whose paint you could still see and weren't covered in stickers (think of the bad green guy from Cars), instead of the multi-billion dollar marketing orgasm it is today on unrecognizable machines that still carry useless manufacturer rivalries that mean jack shit. Dodge, Chevy, and Ford spend millions on every team that drives their cars, and the only thing the "Monte Carlos" and "Chargers" have in common with the production versions are the letters on the front. Remember when manufacturers actually built stock cars for NASCAR, a la Plymouth Roadrunner? That's the only reason why GM still builds the Monte Carlo. Driving round a circle makes for easy coverage, so you can see the stickers. Whatever, it entertains the masses.

I definitely respect the drivers and i've given it many a chance. when we got Speed TV i watched it for a couple hours actually and i just couldn't get into it.

N.A.S.C.A.R. and F1 have 2 things in common: they are both eliteist in their respective gendre. And both are terribly dull to watch on TV.

When I was younger, I worked at Madison International Speedway...now if there are any Matt Kenseth fans here, you will know that this is where he started, that and Slinger Speedway. Back then he was known as Matt "The Brat" Kenseth. I rather enjoyed going the small local 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile ovals. Why? Because the drivers are not racing for big money; they put their heart and soul into each lap. None of them were corrupted by money or advertisers. They raced simply, for the love of the sport.

I used to watch NASCAR all the time and followed it quite closely but it got boring quick. When you are watching it and they are at Talladega or any other high speed track, you are just waiting for the big one to happen and then you get some exciting because of the pitting. Yes I do love the pitting game. That's where all the excitement is.

To improve NASCAR, I'd like them to introduce more road tracks and take out the high speed Ovals. Tracks like Bristol can stay due to it being so small and having a huge banking on the corners.

I think it is time to remove the restrictors and implement something else.

I think it is hella boring, just driving in circles all day long.

HOWEVER! They are professional race car drivers making a living out of driving cars at 200mph just inches away from other cars, that takes skill and I respect that. They also have some of the best racing crashes ever.

It's kinda boring.. BUT..

Had the opportunity to go to holland speedway with my car club for an outing one night.. after the races, we got to do some 1 lap heads up racing on the oval.. 2 cars at a time.. it was a blast..

I managed to make the final round.. I think i raced 4 times.. lost the final round to a very modified car.. but it was fun.. a TON of fun.... not to mention the street tires on my car picked up enough race rubber in the tread that it was like running on slicks for the next 1000km or so.. tons of grip... LOL

Holland has a 18 degree bank... doesn't seem like much till your on the high side of the corner and then drop down to the bottom of the track to blast outta the corner. Was doing about 120km/h through the last corner.. with the car pretty much rolled right over into the bumpstops the whole way round.. :lol:

Like all things.. it's usually boring until you do it.. then it's :woot:

^ Delaware speedway does the the same thing. It is called King of the Hill. 1/2 mile banked oval.

It's been a while since I watched the last NASCAR race (well, TV coverage always only showed parts of the races back then, don't know if they're shown at all today) and the impression grew on me that the main attraction of NASCAR isn't the racing itself but the accidents that occasionally happen as they're mostly very spectacular due to the high speed at which they mostly happen.

West said:
This really will end up being Americans versus everyone else

No. There are tons of Americans who hate Nascar :thumbsdown:

Sorry, but the driver skills required for NASCAR really don't carry over to any other type of motorsports. The race craft required to run circles for hundreds of miles isn't the same as is required to run a hundred miles of a road course.

That's why only a few are perennial favorites on the two road course events NASCAR has. They are the ones who had / have more experience in the "traditional" racing disciplines. That's also why only a few run other series outside of the NASCAR domain.

Sure there's more passing in NASCAR, but honestly, the ability to pass somebody on the draft when the entire track is a draft isn't nearly the same as the ability required to pass somebody under braking at Variante Rettifilo at Monza.

F1 is just as boring lately, the fight between Schumi and Alonso has heated things up, but it's two guys out of 20+ and they're mostly passing in the pits for 50 laps where as NASCAR it's 4 hours of sheer boredom followed by 10 laps of racing for the win and even then it's just tuck up somebody bum for 8 laps, get a buddy to run with you and then sling shot for the lead. It's a skill, but not one I'm terribly interested in.

Give me Aussie V8s for slobber knocking good fun. Road courses, passing, accidents and big lumbering V8 production cars that actually bare SOME resemblence to their road fairing counterparts. Sprint races, shorter races, and enduros, but damned all a lot more fun than 4 hours of centrifuge racing.

I would LOVE for NASCAR to run more circuits, it's actually quite entertaining to see them run Sears and Watkins if only for the fact the vast majority of them are totally fish out of water at those events. They usually do a feature or talk about how quite a few have been under the instruction of somebody from Panoz or Skip Barber for road course events. Which just makes Ron Fellows laugh hysterically.

Personally, any professional level motorsport that doesn't advance the technology of the automobile is pointless and wasteful. It is a waste of perfectly good gas, waste of engineering efforts, and a waste of time. NASCAR is a perfect example of this. The only way this sport would be entertaining to me, as it is now, is if the races where half as long, and betting was involved much like horse racing. Otherwise making 2000 left turns at 150-200mph is boring, pointless (aside from being a marketing wet dream), and wasteful.

Series like F1, WRC, ALMS, and Touring Car Championships are all contributing to the advancement to automotive technology. The races are shorter (except ALMS which are long to test for the long-term durability of new technology), the drivers are subject to higher G-forces, more treacherous conditions, include racers from all over the world, all the while attaining the same 150-200mph (or more). It is for this reason the races are more entertaining to watch.

Now I have nothing against ovals. I watch IRL as well, and they are, like NASCAR, driving on only ovals with the exception of 2 or 3 races. But since these cars are advancing the world of automotive technology, and have an international field, I can bare to sit through a race. Ovals are also great because it's the only form of motorsport where you can see the entire race right before your eyes and not miss a thing.

The only NASCAR i have seen is if i stray over Eurosport or something and i kinda just watch it for the sake of it. I find it more boring than F1 and thats saying alot, i'll admit that the cars are more exciting than F1, it has that going for it, but the straight banked circut just brings on the sleepy.. :yucky:

I'm an American and I most certainly don't like NASCAR. My father won a trip and took me to Arizona to view an important race. You would think, I like cars, but why don't I like NASCAR?

There should be more than 4 turns to a circuit, and some of them should be in a direction other than left.

Sometimes you see NASCAR cars on a road course. That's more to my liking. I do watch American LeMans and SCCA racing on speed, and that I like -- something vaguely related to production cars on a road course.

But it's still not enough. I can't relate to those NASCAR cars. They may all say Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and now Toyota, but they're all the same frigging car and no innovation is allowed to change anything.

American LeMans for me. Sorry NASCAR, you're not for me.

There's a lot of deveotion to a particular driver at these events, which also alienated me. I suppose it's the same at Formula 1 and Indy events, and I'm not really in to those either.

If NASCAR still used actual stock cars like they used to, I'd be interested. A rollcage covered with a sheet metal body that kinda looks like a Ford Fusion isn't a stock car. If they took real cars and set them up for racing then I'd watch.

I also can't stand how commercialized it is. Every race and just about every track is sponsored. Every square inch of the car is covered with ads. They even have little ads just for the in-car cams! Then when the race is over, the first thing the winner does in the interview is thank all their sponsors, drink a sponsor's beverage, wear their hat, etc. It sickens me.