Windows detects a floppy when i dont have one installed.

chiuy

Ok, here's one perhaps for the more experienced PC geeks out there.

I'm running WindowsXP on an ASUS P5B Deluxe Wifi AP.
Windows keeps picking up a floppy drive. I dont have one plugged in. My DVD drive which IS pligged in, doesnt work.

A restart will bring both floppy and dvd drives into 'My computer' at which point the DVD drive will not work. Removing both devices from my hardware profile and then running 'add/remove hardware' brings back the floppy but NOT the DVD.

Quite bizarre. Anyone have any thoughts?

Just off the top of my head: is the jumper setup properly on the back of your DVD drive. Do you have other optical drives?

Windows XP requires the presence of a floppy drive A: to work. So even if you don't have a physical drive in your pc, there is still a drive A: in your My Computer.

about the DVD drive, does it work when in another PC? And does another DVD drive have the same problem?

Make sure the floppy is disabled and the DVD drive is enabled in the BIOS.

Ah yes, I forgot about disabling the floppy in BIOS ;)

Windows XP requires the presence of a floppy drive A: to work. So even if you don't have a physical drive in your pc, there is still a drive A: in your My Computer.
My Windows XP (Pro) must be an exception then, I have the FDD controller and FDD itself disabled in the BIOS, and there is no A: drive in My Computer.

FDD is not needed. most modern BIOS's have FDD switches, thats whats making it appear (as noted previously)

^ahh... because I've stopped using floppys about 4 years ago on my previous desktop so its been awhile since I've seen that icon on my computer.
I still remember once, I had a group project at my place and this idiot comes to my place and tells me all the stuff is in the floppy, I was like hang on, Floppy? errrrrrr.... I don't have one, so I search the house high and low for a drive but still couldn't find anything, after 2 hours, we finally gave up and went to someone elses house :lol:

Hahaha.
Thanks for the responses guys.

Yeah, disableing the floppy in BIOS did the trick.
I saw it before and left it enabled ssuming i could have an active floppy controller without plugging a floppy drive in... Apparently not.

Good luck with that board BTW - I bought the same one, and after I manually adjusted some BIOS settings it locked up, and hasn't POSTed since. :(

Good luck with that board BTW - I bought the same one, and after I manually adjusted some BIOS settings it locked up, and hasn't POSTed since. :(

Have your tried RMA'ing it?

I have the same board (but without the WiFi) and it's been running like a dream the past 2 months.

Have your tried RMA'ing it?

I have the same board (but without the WiFi) and it's been running like a dream the past 2 months.

I think I screwed myself there. I called and got an RMA number, but didnt get a chance to send it in a timely fashion. I bought an Intel board and its been smooth sailing.

Truth is, if I had even more time to throw at it I might get it to work. I have another proc, another PSU, but not another video card at the moment...