2007 Colin McRae R4

vanMould

Car(s)
Volvo 480ES -88
r4_header.jpg

McRae unveils R4 car

The Colin McRae R4 Performance Car is to be unveiled at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. This new car is built to be a true racer, suitable for rallying, rally cross, circuit racing and ice racing. Developed by 1995 World Rally Champion - Colin McRae, it will be available to customers in 2007.

?The Goodwood Festival of Speed is a paramount symbol of the passion for motor racing?, says Colin McRae, former Rally World Champion and the man behind this project. ?I could not imagine a better stage for the first static display of a car which is being conceived exclusively for the pleasure of driving, to accommodate the wishes of professional and amateur drivers and to reignite the passion in motorsport fans around the world?.

The challenge of conceiving a new performance car from a blank sheet of paper started in January 2005, when Colin first imagined building a car that would incorporate the facets able to excite both the driver and the spectator. Six months later the project was launched and by the end of 2005, after much background research and planning, the final specification of the car was finalised.

Today, Colin McRae and his team are proud to show to the world the prototype of their future car for the first time. The Colin McRae R4 will be completed in the forthcoming weeks and will undergo a test and development programme between August and December of this year.

One of Colin's first objectives is to achieve the highest degree of reliability and to minimize the running costs in comparison to the modern WRCs. The commercialization of the car will start in early 2007.

Designed by Colin McRae and Dave Plant and built by DJM Race Preparation, the McRae R4's chassis is based on a steel safety cage with carbon paneling front and rear and a steel-covered cockpit area. Suspension consists of twin wishbones with Proflex dampers. The body styling has been designed by Keith Burden and Tom Webster.

The engine is a normally-aspirated 4 cylinder, 2.5 litre Millington Diamond Engine producing 350 BHP. The transmission will be ensured by a six-speed gearbox, manual or semi-automatic, and by mechanical front and rear differentials with the option of mechanical or active central differential. The car can be produced in either 2 or 4 wheel drive formats.

Source for text:
http://www.eurosport.com/rally/sport_sto922337.shtml

Official R4 site:
http://www.colinmcrae.com/r4_car.asp

from that picture, the front will look weird as hell

Reminds a bit of the Prodrive P2 for some reason. And the headlamps remind me of the original placement of the lamps on the Morgan Aero 8, all crosseyed and the like. But from the specs this could be a pretty potent car. Definitely a car I'd like to see out on the Top Gear test track in the future.

Headlights are a bit weird - but I'm being picky. Being Colin's baby, this thing is going to rock.

this could be a collector in 20 years time fron now, no one knows the price?

Probably a fuckload.

I like it

The engine is a normally-aspirated 4 cylinder, 2.5 litre Millington Diamond Engine producing 350 BHP.

Uhh, NA and that much power? It would need to rev to 10000rpm to make that HP. Cant happen.

Either it does _2_50BHP or its a turbo.

Last edited:

No Leaf Springs No Care!
:p

Not quite sure what inspired that comment. I'd drive it.

Wonder how well it'll actually do, for that matter, what is it competing against? I have no idea what class that thing would compete in.
Uhh, NA and that much power? It would need to rev to 10000rpm to make that HP. Cant happen.

Either it does _2_50BHP or its a turbo.

Apparently you've never heard of the Mercedes-Benz 190e 2.5-16, and their 2.5 litre 400hp racing engines? BMW had similar with the S14 engines in race form.

This is a race car according to the article. 350bhp from a 2.5 litre isn't all that unheard of. Atleast you were right on the 10krpm thing, the benz and bmw's reved well beyond 9500.

Last edited:
Apparently you've never heard of the Mercedes-Benz 190e 2.5-16, and their 2.5 litre 400hp racing engines? BMW had similar with the S14 engines in race form.

This is a race car according to the article. 350bhp from a 2.5 litre isn't all that unheard of. Atleast you were right on the 10krpm thing, the benz and bmw's reved well beyond 9500.

Doh, "This new car is built to be a true racer, suitable for rallying, rally cross, circuit racing and ice racing." Somehow I decided not to read that part at all and thought it was a street car. Completely possible with a engine but with short maintenance intervals etc. Ah well, nvm :)

Last edited: