I just played with Windows Vista RTM

Adunaphel

Angrily shouting at Klauwds
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
Cube²
And i can tell you, it was nothing like the betas and RCs. It is really really fast. And what is even stranger, because
  • it is a new OS and
  • it is still a Microsoft OS

IT WORKS!

The new search function is pure gold. Aero looks stunning, is fucking fast (yes it really is) and all the shit they promised just works. Window switching with nice 3d effects, fast user switching (now supported for AD domains (YAY!)), Transparency, sidebar, the lot.

And as for gaming: Dell provided my employer (who held the presentation) with 4 5.1 (Windows Vista Experience Rating) Systems (E6400, 2GB RAM, GF7900GS) on which we could also try gaming. BF2 runs very very smooth on those machines, same goes for GTA:SA and C&C: Generals. I couldn't see anything of the predicted 15% added slowness vista was supposed to give you.

People who know me a little longer (especially from IRC) might know me as a strong anti-M$ advocate, but damn, this is just fucking awesome, that's all i can say.

Bring it on I say, I am ready.

Yup... I like it too, most likely won't be using it (for a while) though. Mainly only use XP for Solidworks, and that's being run on my mac through parallels.

As for everyone else around here, yeah... I think most everyone I know will upgrade.

Will Apple's Boot Camp support it?

I'm not sure if my Athlon PC has all the bits for the highest spec of Vista, but I should be alright.

AFAIK Bootcamp should. Haven't tried it here as when running bootcamp setup it just complains about something and says you need to backup all your data and format then try again.

Google comes up with Beta 2 working on Bootcamp, though if you have enough ram Parallels should work fine unless your a gamer. It shoves instructions directly to the cpu rather than emulating an entire computer so if you have say 512mb extra ram you can just keep osx running without loosing much performance.

Edit: http://forum.parallels.com/thread5997.html << Newest Beta. Supports some nify things... see screenshot :)

http://img218.imageshack.**/img218/4143/311302382e4c9e0d2acpg8.jpg

FULL SIZE, Flickr

Last edited:
And...what about the stuff that's going to catch people out? What about the DRM? Could provide some insight in that aspect?

And...what about the stuff that's going to catch people out? What about the DRM? Could provide some insight in that aspect?

Basically it will be hacked... as far as DRM, it's already been to done to some extent before. http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/25/fairuse4wm-strips-windows-media-drm/

That doesn't currently work on the RTM release AFAIK but I'd give them a couple weeks to find a workaround like fairuse4wm and by the public release to have something else that works even better. If your a business who needs to be on fully legal copies, well chances are you won't be running vista on a mac. You'll just use two computers on your desk.

Basically it will be hacked... as far as DRM, it's already been to done to some extent before. http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/25/f...ows-media-drm/

That doesn't currently work on the RTM release AFAIK but I'd give them a couple weeks to find a workaround like fairuse4wm and by the public release to have something else that works even better. If your a business who needs to be on fully legal copies, well chances are you won't be running vista on a mac. You'll just use two computers on your desk.

I was kind of getting more at the Vista-specific DRM (the WMA DRM is part of Windows Media Player, not the OS) that enables hardware-based restrictions, such as switching off video outputs. It's this kind of ripping-me-off-of-my-rights things that completely puts me off of even thinking about switching to Vista. I couldn't give a rat's behind about the "pretty graphics" and all that bloat.

I'm just wondering if you've been able to actually see this in action.

I've read that if you play a video that is above a certain resolution, regardless of whether or not it has DRM it will contact Microsoft and send them some information. The writer had no idea what the information it gives them is though.

I've been using Vista for the last couple of weeks. Downloaded it from the Microsoft network thing to test for work etc.

I really like a lot of it, but something annoy me such as it asking me if I really want to do everything. Like you go to install a program, are you sure you want to do this, go to move a file, are you sure you want to do that etc.

I have been told tha you can turn this off, but haven't looked around to find it yet.

That raises the other problem I have, which is I know I can do something, but I just don't know which menu and option it is under Vista. It isn't really a problem with the program but it just takes some time to search around and find the correct option.

The only other real problem I have is the lack of programs that support Vista. Most programs work fine but I keep hitting programs that won't install or run. Nero and Trend Micro Internet Security are the two that bother me the most. However, I know that the newest version of Nero supports Vista, but I have to track down a copy of that. :rolleyes:

I really like a lot of it, but something annoy me such as it asking me if I really want to do everything. Like you go to install a program, are you sure you want to do this, go to move a file, are you sure you want to do that etc.

I have been told tha you can turn this off, but haven't looked around to find it yet.
Goto the user accounts section of the control panel, then you can set the "account control" options there, which disable that annoying shit.

Funny thing, my laptop scores a 4.0 on the performance meter. Turion MT-37 2ghz, 1GB ram, ATi X700 256MB, 80GB Samsung.

Funny thing, my laptop scores a 4.0 on the performance meter. Turion MT-37 2ghz, 1GB ram, ATi X700 256MB, 80GB Samsung.

The lowest score is deciding. So if everything but your memory scores 5.9, but your memory scores a 2.0 (for whatever reason) your system's score is 2.0

Is there a checklist or something for upgrading to Vista? In terms of spec requirements.

I'll wait until there are drivers available for my chipset, gfx card and sound card, and then I'll make the jump I think.

Was it the 64 bit Vista or the 32-bit?
Is it still wise to stay away from the 64-bit version (like it was with XP)?

Last edited:
I've read that if you play a video that is above a certain resolution, regardless of whether or not it has DRM it will contact Microsoft and send them some information. The writer had no idea what the information it gives them is though.
...and if you have no internet connection, then what? "Screw you, honest and paying customer, for not letting big brother watch everything you do"?

That raises the other problem I have, which is I know I can do something, but I just don't know which menu and option it is under Vista. It isn't really a problem with the program but it just takes some time to search around and find the correct option.

The only other real problem I have is the lack of programs that support Vista. Most programs work fine but I keep hitting programs that won't install or run. Nero and Trend Micro Internet Security are the two that bother me the most. However, I know that the newest version of Nero supports Vista, but I have to track down a copy of that.
Even I'll admit, that's being a bit unfair. With new versions of Windows, there is always...

a) A learning curve due to new features, and
b) A temporary slump in software and driver support

It's only normal.

i had rc1 build for a bit and hated it, i just wish i had the money to upgrade to a mac

I was kind of getting more at the Vista-specific DRM (the WMA DRM is part of Windows Media Player, not the OS) that enables hardware-based restrictions, such as switching off video outputs. It's this kind of ripping-me-off-of-my-rights things that completely puts me off of even thinking about switching to Vista. I couldn't give a rat's behind about the "pretty graphics" and all that bloat.

I'm just wondering if you've been able to actually see this in action.

I seriously doubt that it would switch off your video outputs, it's hard finding balanced viewpoints on microsoft products because you always seem to get the same tired old tard preaching garbage because well it's cool to hate microsoft.