James Kim From CNet is missing

bartboy9891

I'm not Moe
I just heard about this today

UPDATE: A full-scale search is continuing Tuesday for missing CNET senior editor James Kim, who left his family's stranded car in snowy southwest Oregon Saturday to seek help.

Kim's wife and two young daughters were found alive and well Monday after surviving more than a week stranded in the wilderness of southern Oregon. They have been reunited with family.

The ground and air search has now shifted to the 35-year-old editor, who left the car on foot Saturday morning to seek help and has not yet been found, Josephine County sheriff's authorities said at a news conference in Merlin, Ore. "He's a resourceful guy and we're hoping for the best," said Mike Weinstein, a detective with the Portland Police Bureau's Missing Persons Unit.

Kati Kim, 30, and daughters Penelope and Sabine--4 years and 7 months, respectively--are being treated at Three Rivers Community Hospital in Grants Pass and are listed in good condition. Hospital spokeswoman Laura Biggers said Sabine is being held overnight for observation.
Kati-Penelope

The lost family had "minor provisions" and stayed warm using the car heater, then burning tires when they ran out of gas, authorities said. After searches in Oregon's Curry and Douglas counties, cell phone signals narrowed the search back to the Bear Camp area in Josephine County, according to reports.

Authorities said search teams, including a helicopter equipped with night vision capabilities, worked through the night Monday to locate James Kim.

Trackers had been following his footprints, Anderson said Tuesday, but that got more difficult as they reached areas of dirt and rocks.

At about 1:45 p.m. PST, search-and-rescue officials were notified that a vehicle and a female waving an umbrella were spotted by a helicopter search crew near the Rogue River in the area of Bear Camp Viewpoint off Bear Camp Road in Josephine County near the Curry County line, according to a statement from Oregon State Police. The helicopter that spotted the trio was reportedly a private aircraft contracted by the family.

The helicopter that spotted the trio was reportedly a private aircraft contracted by the family. Authorities have not yet released details of how the family got lost.

Rescue efforts Monday shifted back to the Bear Camp area in Josephine County after information surfaced that a cellular tower received a signal from one of the family's phones. Authorities credit an employee of Oregon cell provider Edge Wireless with creating computer models to triangulate the phone's location.
Click for math

CNET readers, who have posted hundreds of messages of support and concern on the site's boards, were quick to express their relief. "Now that Kati and the kids have been found, it won't be long that James will be found," one reader wrote. "This is incredible news for the Kim family."

Messages of encouragement were also pouring in to a Web site set up by family and friends.

The Kim family left their home in San Francisco two weeks ago on a Thanksgiving road trip to the Pacific Northwest. They had been last seen on the Saturday after the holiday in Portland and later at a Denny's restaurant in Roseburg, according to the San Francisco Police Department's missing persons' report.

The family was expected to return to San Francisco on Monday, November 27. When both James and Kati failed to show up for appointments on Tuesday, November 28, co-workers began to worry for their safety. The Kims are known for keeping in touch daily with their friends and co-workers, either by phone or e-mail.

Samantha Martin-Evans is a neighbor and close friend of Katie Kim's with daughters close in age to the Kim daughters.

"I can't put it into words how I feel right now," said Martin-Evans. "I didn't want to give up hope, but after nine days hope was starting to ebb last night. But now...just thinking of her waving on the side of the road is quintessential Katie: 'Here I am come get me,' is so like her."

She remained optimistic about James Kim as well. "To know that two days ago he was well enough to set out and now they can narrow the search...I can't describe the feeling. It's a miracle."

At CNET, co-workers let out shouts of jubilation at hearing the news of Kati, Penelope and Sabine, then focused their attention on finding James.

"We're thrilled that Katie has been found and cautiously optimistic about the condition of the girls. And we're glad the search can now focus on James," said Lindsey Turrentine, James Kim's supervisor and executive editor of CNET Networks' Mobile and Software division.

Kim is a senior editor covering digital audio who also co-hosts a weekly video podcast for Crave. He has been writing a book on Microsoft's Zune MP3 player. Formerly, he was an on-air personality on the now-defunct cable television network TechTV.

He and his wife own two stores in San Francisco--Doe, a clothing store in the city's Lower Haight area, and the Church Street Apothecary in the Noe Valley neighborhood, where they live.

Niki Magtoto, an employee at the Church Street Apothecary. "We are very relieved but we're all still trembling at this point," she said. "Everybody from the neighborhood came over the shop to celebrate the news."

At that moment of the conversation with a reporter, Magtoto's father, a UPS employee who delivers packages to the Kims' business, shouted into his daughter's phone: "Let's go, James!"

http://img242.imageshack.**/img242/9066/kimfamilywq4.jpg

i remember him from his TechTV days (before it became part of G4). I hope they can find him...

Glad they found them. It's been on the news here since shortly after they were lost. Big search and everything.

This goes to show you though that some people will follow their GPS to hell and back before using common sense. :no:

Wow, sure hope they find the guy. Wonder how they managed to get that lost.

I just heard about this today

How nice and cozy is it under that rock? lol

That aside, in all seriousness, thankfully his wife and kids are in good health and made use of they they have to get through. I'm crossing my fingers that James is still wandering around in the woods, but it has been now three days (and nightfall now here in the region in the low 20s) and I have a terrible feeling the outcome may not have an happy ending. I feel really bad for the kids, especially. :(

I don't really like CNET much, but I always turn to James for his honest and fair reviews on MP3 players and other handhelds. It's a terrible shock that it happened to him, out of all people.

I despise CNet and their dumb reviews (the car reviews are the worst) but it's very sad indeed. His got a family and two little kids... hope they find him for their sake at least.

Poor guy. Died not knowing if his family made it. At least they should be proud of him for dying to protecting his family

Poor dude.

I liked his stuff on Tech Tv.

:cry:

When I was out driving in the wooded backroads and heard the headline on the radio "...And a sad ending to the search of the missing father of the San Francisco family", I shut it off and my heart just sank.

I felt like I lost a close friend, even though I do not know him personally. It is a terrible day for us in the tech/gadget community.

:cry:

When I was out driving in the wooded backroads and heard the headline on the radio "...And a sad ending to the search of the missing father of the San Francisco family", I shut it off and my heart just sank.

I felt like I lost a close friend, even though I do not know him personally. It is a terrible day for us in the tech/gadget community.

Yeah, I actually found out about this from my parents (since they saw it on the news and mentioned it while I was talking to them tonight).

It's definitely a sad day in the tech industry, and I wish the family the best.

I couldn't hear what Charles Gibson was saying on ABC News, so I thought, "wow, what a kickass dude, he survived for 11 days in the wilderness to save his family!" Then I actually read the news...

:(

RIP, a great man that died heroically trying to help his family.

Last edited:
Saw it coming sadly.

And I don't mean to sound like an ass, but he shoulda stayed with the car. The wilderness is not something to mess with around here. Sure, we may just be at the 45th parallel (and not Alaska), but it still gets hella cold here and there are bears and stuff.

Kim's wife, Kati, told officers that the couple made a wrong turn and became stuck in the snow.

I'm sorry, but how do you make a wrong turn like that? You go from well plowed highway to a road off the beaten path that isn't plowed? :no: I stand by my previous guess that they relied on their GPS rather than common sense.

But again, don't get me wrong, I feel really sorry for this whole family. A very sad event. :cry:

Viper, I agree. I wish we knew details on how this all came about. I feel terrible about this happening but where were they trying to go that they got stuck? They were driving a SAABaru 9-2x (Impreza with Saab badge) so it's not like they were driving some pansy Taurus.

It just doesnt all add up enough for me yet. He died a hero trying to save his family and he deserves all the credit in the world, and then some.. but I want to know what was going on.

Last edited:
And I don't mean to sound like an ass, but he shoulda stayed with the car.

He had been stuck in the car for nine days and his wife and two kids are starving to death. He had no other options and he sacrificed his life in order to go out and find help. I would've done the same too, even if it isn't the right thing to do. The man was that desperate to keep his family alive.

Local news reports the road is somewhat infamous around the local town. Every winter it becomes impassable, but the county leaves it ungated for recreation and Christmas tree hunters.

There are 4 huge signs along the way saying the road is impassable during the winter due to snow drifts.

*sigh* So avoidable. :(

Terrible, I feel so sad for his kids and wife. That's such bad fucking luck... life isn't fair if this kind of crap happens. "God does everything for a reason!" Yeah, try explaining that to his wife and kids.

Last edited: