Is Traction Control (without stability) useful for you?

Until you factor in four new wheels and tires ;)

An LSD gives you better traction and allows both wheels to spin simultaneously.

+1 I forgot about the enw wheels and tires...

Hmhh maybe you could just get new wheels that would fit your old tires?

If someone could give me the exact term in English: it's a differential that locks 100% when the speed difference between the wheels exceed a limit (25% difference in most cases), whereas a real LSD will allow some difference even when it locks (it never locks 100%).
Viscous differential?

It's called a Lockup Differential, according to this source:

http://www.automotive-translation.com/glossaryL.html

However a lot of sources tell the BMW E36 have lsd, so it's quite confusing.

As far as I know BMW used this differential for at least 25 years on "sporty" BMW (except the latest M3 and M5 which use an electronic diff).

Also you can feel the differential when it locks, especially if the car is old and lacks oil in the differential: you can even hear it when it locks.

a lock up differential would afaik only be used in off roaders, and is pretty bad for the drivetrain when used excessively

there is one in my dad's patrol. and from the moment you touch the steering wheel, it disengages

a lock up differential would afaik only be used in off roaders, and is pretty bad for the drivetrain when used excessively

there is one in my dad's patrol. and from the moment you touch the steering wheel, it disengages

It may be different to the locking differential, which cannot be locked while driving, and is commonly used in serious off-roaders

BTW do you speak French bone? (probably not, with such an avatar, I'd say you speack Dutch) If so you may have heard the word "autobloquant".

Last edited:
My (very) bad, I did a misuse of language, I don't know the English term for this differential ("autobloquant" in French). If someone could give me the exact term in English: it's a differential that locks 100% when the speed difference between the wheels exceed a limit (25% difference in most cases), whereas a real LSD will allow some difference even when it locks (it never locks 100%).

It's very funny provided you have a lot of grip: at the exit of a hairpin, just floor the throttle and take off the hands from the steering wheel, but the brutal lock may be dangerous when not expected (slippery).

What you're describing sounds like a full-locking differential, also known as a Detroit locker. Detroit lockers are pretty distinct when driving, especially when new. The Detroit locker in our Shelby is extremely noticeable in that it makes a "clicking" noise when going around corners. I'm surprised that a Z3 would have a Detroit locker, as they are usually oriented towards straight-line speed - hence the name.

bone is also correct that they are commonly used in offroad vehicles - usually an LSD in the front and a Detroit out back.

As far as I know BMW used it in a lot of cars back when electronic traction control wasn't too easy to implement or just not existing, just to improve traction and limit wheelspin on a single wheel. It has some abbreviation too, I just don't remember it.

^^ It seems to be called "Sperr-differential" in German, and according to Castrol Switzerland website, some BMW were using "Lamellensperrdifferential".

I'll tell you traction control works up here in the north.... Try Ice and snow... then you'll understand

I'll tell you traction control works up here in the north.... Try Ice and snow... then you'll understand

Already tried, and it's helpless on a strong uphill (you better climb it on reverese).

There is such a thing as a gear driven locker and that might be what you are talking about.

They offer a little more grip then a clutch driven LSD type but are more friendly on road then a true locker.

Here is a good quick over view of different types of diffs. Scroll down to the middle.

http://toyota.off-road.com/toyota/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=186289

There is such a thing as a gear driven locker and that might be what you are talking about.

They offer a little more grip then a clutch driven LSD type but are more friendly on road then a true locker.

Here is a good quick over view of different types of diffs. Scroll down to the middle.

http://toyota.off-road.com/toyota/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=186289

I think you got it right; it's funny that it's quite unknown despite most sporty beemers have it in the 80s and 90s

Traction Control = Useless for front wheel drive. My GP has it, and it is annoying as hell.

Front wheel drive spins on everything- painted lines at stoplights, gravel, dry road. It has become a habit for me to just hit the off button after starting the car so I don't have to deal with it cutting the throttle out on me.

Sorry but traction control is can more effectively control the wheel spin than you can. Just because you wish to feel like you are more in control doesn't mean you are. (I don't want you to feel like I'm picking on you here) But unless your the stig or an F1 driver traction control will help you. P.S it also saves tires

Sorry but traction control is can more effectively control the wheel spin than you can. Just because you wish to feel like you are more in control doesn't mean you are. (I don't want you to feel like I'm picking on you here) But unless your the stig or an F1 driver traction control will help you. P.S it also saves tires

You don't need to be Schumacher to know that to brutally lift off the throttle of an FR while turning may provoke a lift-off oversteer, and a little tire spin is rather efficient exiting a tight hairpin.

You don't need to be Schumacher to know that to brutally lift off the throttle of an FR while turning may provoke a lift-off oversteer, and a little tire spin is rather efficient exiting a tight hairpin.

Even with traction control on this would happen.... A stability control system would stop it through the use of Yaw and pitch sensors.

P.S Tire spin never improves track time. Sliding tires will.

Even with traction control on this would happen.... A stability control system would stop it through the use of Yaw and pitch sensors.

I meant the throttle lift-off due to the traction control. Adding a stability control changes everything and is strongly efficient, but this is not the case.

P.S Tire spin never improves track time. Sliding tires will.

Who said on the track? By tight hairpin I didn't mean the huge U-turns on track with 7m road width, but tight hairpins with a 3/4m road width on mountain passes.

These systems make the road safer for 90 percent of the drivers on the road.

Mind you I would think the other 10 percent most likely posts here LOL

Traction Control = Useless for front wheel drive. My GP has it, and it is annoying as hell.

Front wheel drive spins on everything- painted lines at stoplights, gravel, dry road. It has become a habit for me to just hit the off button after starting the car so I don't have to deal with it cutting the throttle out on me.
the Grand Prix GT has over 275 lb/ft of torque (way too much if you ask me). You're just being quicker on the throttle than it thought you would :p