Australian V8 Supercars

You guys have all discussed this before - very unfortunate way for the season to end, I agree. I'm a Holden fan and I would have preferred Lowndes take out the title given these cirumstances...because it would keep the Oran Park omen going for another year :p

But seriously, whats sad is that had Rick not tapped Lowndes, it could have been a genuine dog fight to the end, bar a contenders brother who would have played defensive and you can't really blame him.

I refuse to say that Lowndes was faster. IMO, they were both very similar in pace. Pit lane was a decisive factor in races 1 & 2 and team tactics.

As for the cost cutting....great articles posted here...it'll be very interesting how that pans out. Amazing how much teams will have to cut. I don't have much to add on what you guys have already mentioned.

Edit: I just read some of the threads on the rpmlive forum - wow there's some *cough* mature *cough* debate going on there...
Yeah I've seen that too :lol: Makes me very proud to be apart of this small V8 community :D

one of the guys at work sent me this

320106534_34978dcd4f_o.jpg

also, wikipedia's rick kelly entry has changed (for the good :) )

:lmao: They're some great photoshops, hahaha.

I've been thinking, now that Ten have lost the rights to the V8s, do you think they might try to show some NASCAR races next year, especially because Marcos Ambrose is "flying the Aussie Flag" in the series.

There's been a bit of publicity on the news the past few days for him and Team Australia, especially now he has managed a deal to race 10 races in the Top NASCAR series, as well as the 30 odd races in the BOSCH series.

I don't particularly care because NASCAR is boring.

I think Foxtel has the Nascar rights sewn up for a while. I can't wait for Ten next year to start with their motorsport coverage. Only F1, Moto GP and Red Bull Air Race will be shown apparently with F1 getting most coverage. Fingers Crossed!!

Oh didn't think about Foxtel, who has the television rights to the WRC events these days?

Oh didn't think about Foxtel, who has the television rights to the WRC events these days?

From what I hear, Ten is going to get rid of WRC so it means that Foxtel might pick it up under these new TV laws. Im hoping SBS pick it up though. We shouldnt be forced to get Foxtel to see things that should be shown on Free to Air.

Foxtel already show the WRC.

Yeah, but Ten shows it in full a week later. Ten might discontinue this next year.

DJR appears to have secured Jim Beam backing too.

Surprise backer saves Johnson

By Gordon Lomas
December 20, 2006

DICK Johnson's touring car team has been saved from the brink of collapse by a last-minute deal that has ensured its place in next year's V8 Supercars championship.

The Ford team was believed to be days away from closing the doors to its workshop at Stapylton near Beenleigh before being rescued by a surprise new backer who is dipping into the sport for the first time.

It was touch and go whether DJR would continue in the Championship Series after struggling through the season with money from Johnson's personal group of companies.

Just when it seemed that corporate Australia had turned its back on the team that emerged following public donations after Johnson's highly publicised "rock" incident at Bathurst in 1980, a deal was finalised yesterday to ensure the squad's future.

Although the details have not been confirmed, it is believed Jim Beam has come forward to save DJR from ruin in a deal which will put the company in a head-to-head stoush with rival Jack Daniel's, which is preparing for a second season with Larry Perkins's Holden squad.

"We've been saved by the skin of our teeth," team manager Steve Chalker said yesterday after closing the deal in Sydney.

"It's too early to say anything officially but we've done a deal that guarantees we will be on the grid next year.

"We're not in a position to do anything just yet but early in the New Year we plan to have an official launch."

The precarious position of DJR has been blamed on the failed Westpoint property group which signed a huge deal with the team as major backer but then withdrew with unpaid debts after it collapsed late last year.

Source

Jim Beam seem to be getting right behind the V8 Supercars as they are also the Major Sponsor of the series for 2007.

Lowndes has said that he is going to do a Kelly this season.

So expect the 888 Vodafone Falcon to trundle around in 5th or 6th every race then in the season finale, dive down the inside of Kelly, taking him out and getting away with a drive-thru penalty and winning the championship :mrgreen:

Lowndes has said that he is going to do a Kelly this season.

Interesting - got a link for a full article? The new points system won't reward the Ingall / R Kelly tactic, so my interpretation of that is that Lowndes will be a little less aggressive and try to be error-free - aggression and unforced errors have hurt him the past two years.

I'd like to see a link for that as well as the V8 website doesn't have anything on it. I wouldn't think Lowndes to be a racer to go the soft conservative route but maybe he's learning off the 05 & 06 winners...