Merc SL55 Info?

Shawn

Lexus? Oh shi-
Car(s)
MkVI GTI w/DSG
Aside from the usual stuff is there anything a prospective buyer should know?

Like options you gotta have or options which are just gimmicks? Is there another similar car you'd recommend instead (not 911, please)?

I don't really know what I'm asking here... I guess just some views from you guys on the car.

So, being a "male whore" pays off? Finally made enough to buy a SL? Guess I gotta get into that business!

Seriously, though, I reckon most of those cars will be nicely equipped, so I'd take one with satnav and the good seats with ventilation without going overboard on the rest. Who really needs all that voice activation thingy... If there is a button for the most common things on the wheel, its fine with me... Haven't driven the 55, but the 500 was lots of fun already! At the expense of 9 mpg, and we didn't even get to the nearest Autobahn... Can't imagine the 55s consupmtion under load ;-)

Yeah, the MPG must suck on those 55s.

It's not exactly me buying it... I'm inquiring for someone else. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, the MPG must suck on those 55s.

It's not exactly me buying it... I'm inquiring for someone else. ;)
Your dad? He's not interested in the SLK anymore??

The SL55's are still great cars. Even after all those years since being released, the engine still seems as bonkers as when we first saw it.

Theres not much to look for as most of them are very well equipped. Dynamic/heated/ventilated seats are nice as Buba mentioned. They have the massage function and side bolsters that inflate-deflate round corners.

Check those AMG alcantara seats for wear, particularly the drivers side. Also check for rattles from the roof. I strongly recommend trying to get one with the Panoramic glass roof. It looks really neat on a silver coloured car and lets lots of natural light in.

If I were to get an SL55, I'd get it with those wheels that you don't like (like JC's SL). I think they look nice. Don't know what the person your inquiring for thinks of them. Otherwise, there are the old AMG 5-spokes which are ok I guess.

You got it SL. He's not really interested in the SLK as he wants a bigger, more comfortable car.

I'm recommending the dark wheels off the 65 models... the one that is part of the SL performance package. They're dead sexy... and definitely the panoramic roof and ventilated seats. We looked at some and God, it sounds amazing. It's such a rich sound, gotta love the V8s.

You got it SL. He's not really interested in the SLK as he wants a bigger, more comfortable car.

I'm recommending the dark wheels off the 65 models... the one that is part of the SL performance package. They're dead sexy... and definitely the panoramic roof and ventilated seats. We looked at some and God, it sounds amazing. It's such a rich sound, gotta love the V8s.
Yeah those are super-sexy :love: Heres an Aussie SL55 with those wheels - link

I still love the SL55. I've come to the realization that I don't like Mercedes, just the AMG's.
I'm pretty sure that whichever one your dad buys, it will be properly kitted. People that buy the AMG's don't seem to skimp on the luxury packages. Obviously, buy one thats stock, with dealer service records...as horrible as MB service is, you want their mechanics, and their mechanics only touching the car. I'd never buy a car like that with no service records, or reciepts from some backdoor asian chopshop.

My Dad's got an 05' S55 - the Sat Nav is rubbish and those reversing sensors keep breaking. Other than that - absolute gold. There is SO much toque - and it is so nice and linear - and when your going 65mph in top gear the engine is only spinning at 1,200 revs - and even down there you've got power to work with. Amazing engine.

Those active AC/Heated massage - craddling-in-corner-seats are cool.

Girlie stigma aside - fantastic. Congrats.

Last edited:
He hasn't bought one yet, just looking at this point.

Are the cooled/massaging seats the same option as the hugging around corners seats? Or are they separate options?

He hasn't bought one yet, just looking at this point.

Are the cooled/massaging seats the same option as the hugging around corners seats? Or are they separate options?
Yep in most Mercs, including the SL, its referred to as "Luxury Seats" and includes the lot. The only thing you can get seperately are heated seats.

Thanks. How's about this?

http://img154.imageshack.**/img154/7610/2006mercedessl55amgblacdy3.jpg

This is off the dealer's site by the by, just so I've said it.

Yeah... it's got all of the options I think minus voice command and Distronic.

Yeah... it's got all of the options I think minus voice command and Distronic.
Perfect then, those two features aren't essential. Replace those US/Canada spec indicators with clear Euro ones and your dads all set 8)

No, it's from this little auto shop in West Van. I forget the name of it right now... it's an '06 with very low mileage. I know the '07s had a bit of a facelift but that would just be too expensive.