Osram COOLBLUE

IceBone

Blue Wheel Hipster
Car(s)
Audi A5 Quattro
I had no idea how orange my headlamps were before i bought these. Just finished installing them 15 minutes ago.

coolblue.jpg

Now they look like normal headlamps!

:spam:

kidding aside. it's an...upgrade thread! YES! it's gofaster lights... <_<

nice

i got some Osram silverstars (not the same as the crummy silverstars you US guys get, the proper Osram made ones with the mixture of xenon and halogen gases.... they edged out phillips vision+ bulbs in Autoexpresses tests)

they are so cool, theyre not blue or anything but they do have a nice crisp whiteness to them. the reflectors on my car seem to produce a cool purple-blue halo round the bulb too.

got some for the dipped beams and the full beams...... full beams are awesome in the country side...its like having those rally style light pods on your bonnet!

your original bulbs just look as if theyre burning out, halogens will get dimmer over time.

:spam:

kidding aside. it's an...upgrade thread! YES! it's gofaster lights... <_<

How much hp do those add? 10? 15? 25? :p I need to get some of those quick cos i am in dire need of more horsepowerz! :mrgreen:

I've got H4 headlamps, which is 2 different wires in the same bulb, doing away with the need for 2 bulbs for low and high beams. \o/

I've got H4 headlamps, which is 2 different wires in the same bulb, doing away with the need for 2 bulbs for low and high beams. \o/

Did your car originally come like that?

Yes, it's standard.

wikipedia said:
The first dual-filament halogen bulb (to produce a low and a high beam with only one bulb), the H4, was released in 1971. The U.S. prohibited halogen headlamps until 1978, when halogen sealed beams were released. To this day, the H4 is still not legal for automotive use in the United States. Instead, the Americans created their own very similar standard (HB2/9003). The primary differences are that the HB2 sets more strict requirements on filament positioning, and that the HB2 are required to meet the lower maximum output standards set forth by the United States government.

yeah the first focus (UK) had dual filament bulbs

then the face lifted version (the one i have) has seperate lamps for hi and lo beams so i had to buy 2 lots of bulbs. H1 and H7

You should actually replace the bulbs in your car every 15,000kms or so even if they haven't blown. The reason is that the halogen cycle that keeps the bulb
filament from depositing onto the glass from the heat works by causing the filament material (tungsten) to deposit back onto the filament.

However, these deposits aren't uniform, so it causes thinner and thicker parts to form, causing bright and dim bits.

There are much "bluer" ones than these, the only problem is that they get that blue by just substracting the red/yellow parts of the light by adding a blue cover, meaning the light can never be as bright as a with a normal bulb. A much bigger problem is that wet roads absorb blue light almost completely, which is not too bad when you have Xenons, because they're bright as shit, but with tiny H4 bulbs you see absolutely NOTHING at night when its wet. Trust me, I've got them, switching back to normal yellow ones once one of them breaks.

There are much "bluer" ones than these, the only problem is that they get that blue by just substracting the red/yellow parts of the light by adding a blue cover, meaning the light can never be as bright as a with a normal bulb. A much bigger problem is that wet roads absorb blue light almost completely, which is not too bad when you have Xenons, because they're bright as shit, but with tiny H4 bulbs you see absolutely NOTHING at night when its wet. Trust me, I've got them, switching back to normal yellow ones once one of them breaks.

thats exactly why i went for the silverstars instead of phillips blue-visions.

the Osrams were +50% bulbs which is about as bright as you can get a 55w car bulb i think. they dont give me the cool blue effect of HID's but i can see much further when on those back roads.

(oh btw its best to call them HID's since xenon is just a gas that can be added to any bulb, and is added to the ones i bought and usually added to the blue coloured bulbs too. the gas mix gives the light its colour, though for normal 55w bulbs it has to be mixed with halogen still because pure xenon would probably mean the filament going west early on, thats why they have to coat them as well to get the effect. HID's dont have a filament to worry about, they just strike an arc between two points, which then ignites the gas, so you can fill them with all xenon if you wish)